Builds Getting 81' 40 running again after 9 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can someone confirm that the circled line is what should connect to the R or Return port on the fuel pump? I know the other is supply. Thanks.
20200229_203643.jpg

Anyone??

The return line from the pump goes to the side port on the tank, but I can’t tell which is which from your picture.

The two pictured lines come from the top of the tank and are tagged as suction and return. I just need to verify which is which.

Left side (the one that PO has rigged up with a different line) goes to the pump, right side is return.

Thanks guys. I did get fuel from that line and felt good to go until I saw this... and yes the other one pops up as "main"
Screenshot_20200311-161039_Chrome.jpg

Great thanks for taking those pics and tracing. I'm guessing ours must have two lines in the suction unit and the return side must be about the same length because after draining the tank I only put about two gallons in and was able to get fuel with suction. Downside is probably no sock on that return side.

One side complete
20200313_095636.jpg

20200321_185430.jpg

What's the consensus on just spraying these out with brake cleaner vs take apart? Would spraying out cause what grease is inside or behind the seals to be degraded and ineffective?
15853306965871296995882181144527.jpg

Well an overwhelming number of you suggested I dive on in. Needed new detent balls and found them at my local True Value hardware store. 1/8" seemed to line up perfect. Also had an eager helper. Not much could be better as a dad.
20200402_210410.jpg

20200403_162616.jpg

On a side note, I am in need of a new dial as mine sustained some damage from PO. If you happen to have one let me know. Back together for now.
Screenshot_20200402-215243_Gallery.jpg

20200402_210410.jpg

Just drained transfer case and this is the plug. Upon further inspection these metal peices are almost similar to staples. I know to expect some metal but this kind of suprises me. Trans looked normal
20200404_171927.jpg

Well fired her up this afternoon. New City Racer carb wants to idle so much lower than I'm used to. After about and hour of running the fuel filter is already brown. I made a quick trip to the corner store and put in about 11 gal. I should have waited on that. I may just use the old electric pump and rig up some larger filter and set it on recirc lol. My son was over the moon, which is what's most important to me.
20200404_195531.jpg

Thanks for your reply but I trashed them yesterday they were separate pieces only being held by magnet.

Well fired her up this afternoon. New City Racer carb wants to idle so much lower than I'm used to. After about and hour of running the fuel filter is already brown. I made a quick trip to the corner store and put in about 11 gal. I should have waited on that. I may just use the old electric pump and rig up some larger filter and set it on recirc lol. My son was over the moon, which is what's most important to me.

May want to pull your fuel tank and have it cleaned, it’s not unusual for a rig that’s been sitting to have some corrosion in the tank (thank you ethanol) which may ultimately lead to other issues. At minimum I’d be changing that fuel filter often.

i rescued a neighbors 72 FJ55 that was parked in a storage yard for 30+ years and getting the fuel sytsem clean was one of the biggest challenges to getting it reliably drivable. These things are tanks, I’m amazed at how quickly they can back to life.

Great work!

Thank you sir. I did drain it and it "felt" good. I"ve brought a few more filters and will continue to change them. That's much easier than dropping the tank for ME at least.

Ok so didn't have much time after work but i installed another fnew filter and went for a quick spin. Upon my return it to was scary looking but not causing a starvation issue. I couldn't help but wonder how much of that rusty powder might be making it to my new carb. So I installed another filter after it to serve as my marker. Went on same trip and it's still clean. At only $3 each I'll keep at it.
20200406_210452.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom