Builds Gerry's Build thread: "If it happens again I'm buying an Abrams" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I never updated the thread after COTR a few weeks back.

The truck did great, the tires are great, the shocks are great. Rear locker decided to take the weekend off so I'll need to figure that out again.

I came home to a drippy transfer case, so I think my truck is telling me it's time to do the crawler gears now.

View attachment 3174398
View attachment 3174403

I ordered some seals and bearings, and now I'm debating if I'm going to attempt the job at home with help, or take the case to a local gear shop.

Yesterday I had some help from @Wermz , @patchagan , and Chris (whose mud name I do not actually know..) Patch and I got the case removed, Chris held the light, and Ryan helped to disconnect the last electrical plug. Teamwork!

View attachment 3174421

So that's all for now. @ClassyJalopy you'll appreciate this: my 560SEL came home from the shop last week. So I'm getting the last few little odds and ends taken care of and this car will be DONE! 6 years in the making! 😳
View attachment 3174422
Teamwork makes the dream work! Much better photo of the W126. Nice work. Time to drive the brakes off it!

How are those fancy Apex valve stems working out for you? It seems like you would have to babysit them until they reach your target pressure(?), unlike the Staun's which automatically drop to a pre set.

How are those fancy Apex valve stems working out for you? It seems like you would have to babysit them until they reach your target pressure(?), unlike the Staun's which automatically drop to a pre set.
Ask @Wermz 😂

For me, they were fine. For Ryan, they were bad.

Rigid valve stems on trails are a big liability if they're not protected. I wouldn't have put them on mine if not for the rings to protect them, and we learned real quick how vulnerable they are without rings.

As far as babysitting: being able to go straight to a preselected pressure may be ideal. May be. Sometimes I want to run slightly higher or lower depending on the trail. But, the apex valves only take like 8 seconds per tire. You're not really sitting around waiting for much. In fact if you're not careful and ready to close it, you could easily go beyond your target. Compared to the Staun's: well, I'll be completely finished by the time the Staun's are all on. And I don't have to carry any extra parts.

Thanks to @Wermz thoughtful trail side valve stem replacement clinic. . . . . I now carry extra valve stems in my trail repair kit- ( honestly I have to say that the whole repair process was well executed 👍)

G.A so when you knock yours off, I’ll have a back up for ya 😉

Dun dun duuuuunnnnnn

20221203_160508.jpg

20221203_183339.jpg

installed at home? 5 speed transmission combined with 4.88 in the diffs and now low speed crawler in TC - you should be able to crawl on the trail at a snail's pace!

installed at home? 5 speed transmission combined with 4.88 in the diffs and now low speed crawler in TC - you should be able to crawl on the trail at a snail's pace!
Yessir. @Wermz came by yesterday and we're going to try to finish the case today. It may not go back in the truck until next week sometime.

I'm hoping I can just do my own spotting from now on. Just jump out and let it keep going 😄

That’s Awesome. Did you end up needing any additional gaskets than the ones you had?
So far so good. We just have to do the seal and bearing on the one shaft left then can reassemble the whole thing.

A press is imperative here. I'd watched the OTRAMM videos on YouTube a few times and he makes it look pretty easy. But, with some creativity and a selection of stuff to use to make your set up, we did every bit with my 20-ton press. No pullers used. The jack in my press decided to bite the dust, so I upgraded it to air over hydraulic and that will make the last bit just a little smoother.

@Wermz and I got it buttoned up tonight. Plan is to get it put back in to the truck over the weekend and hit the trails next week!

20221206_183950.jpg

20221206_201927.jpg

Before it goes back in, I'm going to take advantage of the space and run my t-case/ transmission breather lines to the manifold in the engine bay.

@Wermz and I got it buttoned up tonight. Plan is to get it put back in to the truck over the weekend and hit the trails next week!

View attachment 3187033
View attachment 3187035

Before it goes back in, I'm going to take advantage of the space and run my t-case/ transmission breather lines to the manifold in the engine bay.
Looking good. I have told myself that if I ever take the TC or transmission out of my truck, I'd consider spraying some sound and heat insulation on the body floor above or maybe glue some aluminum insulation sheets in that spot. Despite insulating from inside I still get a noticeable amount of heat and noise from trans tunnel.

Looking good. I have told myself that if I ever take the TC or transmission out of my truck, I'd consider spraying some sound and heat insulation on the body floor above or maybe glue some aluminum insulation sheets in that spot. Despite insulating from inside I still get a noticeable amount of heat and noise from trans tunnel.
Why are you making extra work for me??? 😄

Hey man did I miss it or did you ever install that gas tank skid plate from ASFIR? I’m really thinking about getting one. Was curious if you had any comments on the fitment?

Hey man did I miss it or did you ever install that gas tank skid plate from ASFIR? I’m really thinking about getting one. Was curious if you had any comments on the fitment?
Not yet unfortunately. I'm still needing to replace my very dented original tank before putting that skid on. Hopefully soon.

Not yet unfortunately. I'm still needing to replace my very dented original tank before putting that skid on. Hopefully soon.
Go for the LRA tank!

-- Classy: happy to help spend your money on your truck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom