Builds Gerry's Build thread: "If it happens again I'm buying an Abrams" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Think he's got you there. Cause that missing 10 mil is almost certainly under you even though you swore up and down you put it down right next to you so you wouldn't lose it. Make sure you walk around the truck six more times cursing loudly only to discover it was where you left it all along. For the convenience of course.

Did my engine and transmission mounts today. Easy enough job. Took me 2 hours including the time to swap vehicles in the garage, do the damn thing, and clean up. I think if you have shorter arms it would be nice to remove the front wheels, but I just pulled the small fender trims to prep. Didn't lift the truck up or anything.

I found it was easiest to set my tools on the nuts/ bolts from the side (through the wheel well) and then actually do the work from beneath. This allowed me to hold the nut(s) from below and use my socket with my arm wrapped around the frame. If you do it, you'll figure it out. Support each unit with a jack while you're working on them. I did disconnect my fan shroud and pulled its lower feet out of their home at the bottom.

My trans mount came out looking pretty decent. One of the engine mounts had broken, and the other looked OK but was compressed compared to the new one. I notice a more solid feel from the engine at start up, but actually feel more through the throttle now than before. 🤷

20221001_120926.jpg

20221001_132750.jpg

20221001_132803.jpg

Mileage is right at 313k.

Looking good dude! I took a Mud hiatus and noticed you now have Dobinson shocks. How are those working out for you?

Looking good dude! I took a Mud hiatus and noticed you now have Dobinson shocks. How are those working out for you?
How you been Ryan? Long time since we pulled @patchagan out of that hole!

I dig the shocks. I've only had them on trails once so far but they were really nice. Lots of adjustments to play with though, I'm probably still not quite settled on all of them.

I've been fiddling with these 35s to get them on without any major rubbing. I'd done the pinch weld mod previously, but not sufficiently for these tires.

So out came the angle grinder and BFH. I did the PS yesterday, the DS just now.

Due to some existing trail rash, getting the PS done cleanly was difficult. I'm not proud of it, but I ended up cutting the plastic cladding more than I should have. (WTB, BTW). But, with some black rustoleum and the fender liner replaced, it isn't immediately s***ty looking. DS turned out much cleaner.

So far there's no rubbing on the road. This includes little dips going in to parking lots or my driveway. I still need to stuff em up to be sure they won't yank a fenderb off on a trail.

20221003_123004.jpg

20221004_110319.jpg

20221004_100831.jpg

20221004_110427.jpg

This was mainly a time sensitive thing to be ready for COTR in a few weeks. I'll see about cleaning this up with a more comprehensive solution in the future. That'll require body work, though. If anyone has a PS fender liner in good shape, I'll happily buy it from you.

I also re-ran my melted rear diff breather.

With COTR coming up, I feel like my phone has been a flurry of other Mudders and I scrambling to get our trucks buttoned up.

I did re-wire the lighting in the rear bumper. Bonus point to myself for taking 4 hours to figure out why the trailer harness is not the correct place to pull from for BRAKE and TURN SIGNALS. Why? Because on the trailer plug, they're the same damn thing :bang: But now I have reverse lights again, and you'll definitely know if I'm braking or turning. Eventually I'll run wiring straight from the tail-lamp housings to remedy the overlap between brakes/turns.

Last week, while my exhaust guy was chasing down an elusive heat shield rattle, he gave me more crap about my rotting muffler. So I had him put a new one in. IDK what it is, Magnaflow? "Performance". Sounds good, better than "hole" from before. Not loud, but a little more bark than a sewing machine.

Messing around more with tire clearance, I raised the remote reservoirs over the front tires as much as I could while still leaving access for adjustment knobs. This eliminated the tiny bit of rubbing happening at the bottom of the reservoir when the steering wheel is fully locked.
20221015_160029.jpg

I also cleaned up the fender trimming some. @Wermz came over yesterday to supervise. I ended up taping a lineasnd then cutting the existing lip on this section of fender. I cut up to but left the upper bracket that ties the outer fender to the inner. This gives me good rigidity still. Then I bent a new lip following the line I'd made, and cut/heated/formed the cladding around the corner to finish it off. It's not a factory job for sure, but I'm much happier with it now than after the last attempt. And, no rubbing! And no more @YezusLX giving me grief for ugliness!

20221016_125602.jpg

20221016_145638.jpg

20221017_102715.jpg

20221017_111831.jpg

Last edited:
And finally, I added a name tag to my truck so everyone I've offended on here can track me down at COTR next week.

View attachment 3142953
Narcissism is so beautiful sometimes, isn't it? Nice fauxhawk jerkface! Hahaha, In other news you have quite a talent for that metal work. It's nice to see the time and effort expended to make it look nice as well as be functional. Nice work, Broski!

Narcissism is so beautiful sometimes, isn't it? Nice fauxhawk jerkface! Hahaha, In other news you have quite a talent for that metal work. It's nice to see the time and effort expended to make it look nice as well as be functional. Nice work, Broski!
It's not a fauxhawk, it's a swoop.

I see this response repeated vociferously when you splash mud all over them "sending it".

This thread is epic! Gerry is such a badass! I saw it mentioned in here that you are running 1.5" spacers with your RW wheels, are you sure they are 1.5" and not 1.25"? I ask bc i am curious if they will tuck into the fender front and rear with the new 12.5s?

Thank you!

They are 1.5". Today will be my first day on a trail with the 35s on so I'll let you know how it does.
Gerry will perform beyond your wildest imagination. Even better if she had her "Dad shoes" on. Have a ball broham!

So I never updated the thread after COTR a few weeks back.

The truck did great, the tires are great, the shocks are great. Rear locker decided to take the weekend off so I'll need to figure that out again.

I came home to a drippy transfer case, so I think my truck is telling me it's time to do the crawler gears now.

20221023_125017.jpg

20221023_125027.jpg

I ordered some seals and bearings, and now I'm debating if I'm going to attempt the job at home with help, or take the case to a local gear shop.

Yesterday I had some help from @Wermz , @patchagan , and Chris (whose mud name I do not actually know..) Patch and I got the case removed, Chris held the light, and Ryan helped to disconnect the last electrical plug. Teamwork!

20221120_154905.jpg

So that's all for now. @ClassyJalopy you'll appreciate this: my 560SEL came home from the shop last week. So I'm getting the last few little odds and ends taken care of and this car will be DONE! 6 years in the making! 😳
20221114_122500.jpg

So I never updated the thread after COTR a few weeks back.

The truck did great, the tires are great, the shocks are great. Rear locker decided to take the weekend off so I'll need to figure that out again.

I came home to a drippy transfer case, so I think my truck is telling me it's time to do the crawler gears now.

View attachment 3174398
View attachment 3174403

I ordered some seals and bearings, and now I'm debating if I'm going to attempt the job at home with help, or take the case to a local gear shop.

Yesterday I had some help from @Wermz , @patchagan , and Chris (whose mud name I do not actually know..) Patch and I got the case removed, Chris held the light, and Ryan helped to disconnect the last electrical plug. Teamwork!

View attachment 3174421

So that's all for now. @ClassyJalopy you'll appreciate this: my 560SEL came home from the shop last week. So I'm getting the last few little odds and ends taken care of and this car will be DONE! 6 years in the making! 😳
View attachment 3174422
Ultimate long game on the W126 mate! Looking good!

I am really curious what you find with the rear Harrop locker - I thought they were the most reliable kind (better than air activated ones!)

Ultimate long game on the W126 mate! Looking good!

I am really curious what you find with the rear Harrop locker - I thought they were the most reliable kind (better than air activated ones!)

I'll be sure to update here. Last time it was just a little corrosion on the contacts under the hood. That didn't seem to be the problem most recently, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom