Full-Float Axle Value (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is the bracket on my either FJ40 or BJ42 rear FF axle.
PXL_20231120_135458708.jpg
PXL_20231120_135511569.jpg

sure looks like a 4 bolt mount for the backing plate.

my '77 had more bolts, the sway bar mounts, and massive manual drums.

Yep, there are 4 bolt holes for the backing plate.

Here is the bracket on my either FJ40 or BJ42 rear FF axle.

Yeah, my bracket doesn't look like that. Who knows? Maybe they had a different style, or maybe mine was cut off at some point. Is your bracket in the same location as mine? I'm assuming yours is at the top, and your axle is upside down in the picture.

Yeah, my bracket doesn't look like that. Who knows? Maybe they had a different style, or maybe mine was cut off at some point. Is your bracket in the same location as mine? I'm assuming yours is at the top, and your axle is upside down in the picture.

Ya the axle is upsidedown in an axle rack. While I didn't buy it from SOR believe that where is came from. Didn't have diff but did have the brakes. Later SOR were. Stripped of the brakes as while. My 82 frame tub use to be easy to get to. Now it's behind all the cruisers I want to sell. But has that same bracket on a semi floater. My 84 HJ47 FF does have that bracket but it does have the fixed nut in the back diff cover that's for the hand brake cable. Believe that is on all the FF even wasn't getting the hand brake.

That bracket may not have fixed nuts but appears it has two holes. It's pretty stout compared to that other bracket.

Ya the axle is upsidedown in an axle rack. While I didn't buy it from SOR believe that where is came from. Didn't have diff but did have the brakes. Later SOR were. Stripped of the brakes as while. My 82 frame tub use to be easy to get to. Now it's behind all the cruisers I want to sell. But has that same bracket on a semi floater. My 84 HJ47 FF does have that bracket but it does have the fixed nut in the back diff cover that's for the hand brake cable. Believe that is on all the FF even wasn't getting the hand brake.

That bracket may not have fixed nuts but appears it has two holes. It's pretty stout compared to that other bracket.

Yeah, it’s a more substantial looking bracket.

4 bolt version is the main thing, adding that bracket if someone wanted to go with a ebrake on the axle is pretty simple. I would start near the upper end of the prices suggested, you can always come down. If you are willing to ship you can probably get more for it. The days of $500 full float axles are long gone.

4 bolt version is the main thing, adding that bracket if someone wanted to go with a ebrake on the axle is pretty simple. I would start near the upper end of the prices suggested, you can always come down. If you are willing to ship you can probably get more for it. The days of $500 full float axles are long gone.

Thanks for the info. When I purchased this one, it was definitely not cheap.

Do you have the backing plates and are they solid, not rusted out?

Without good backing plates, I'd say that the housing itself is scrap. The hubs, axles, and third are valuable, though.

I'd buy it if I were closer.

I regret not buying a new 70 series axle for the rear of my 40.

Do you have the backing plates and are they solid, not rusted out?

Without good backing plates, I'd say that the housing itself is scrap. The hubs, axles, and third are valuable, though.
You have that completely backwards.
The backing plates are available new OEM for about $100 each.
Hubs and shafts are available new as well OEM and AFT. The housing is the rare part.

I just sold one to @John McVicker a new backing plate a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I hate to revive this older thread, but I was wondering if anyone knows what size the ring gear in this would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom