Full-Float Axle Value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suzuguru

SILVER Star
Threads
So I no longer have a 40, but I still have this full-floating rear end with Nitro Chromoly Axles. I will probably be selling this thing locally, but I was wondering if anyone had an idea of the value. Thanks in advance for your input.

Edit for additional info: WMS to WMS= 54 3/4", Center of perch to center of perch= 38 1/2", Ratio appears to be 4.10, No locker, appears to be little to no backlash. I think it came out of an HJ47, as I could see that written on it in faded paint pen.

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

Last edited:
Value is very hard to say... $500-1500 depending on what it's worth to the buyer.

FF Fj45 axle is $1500 from SOR without 3rd member and they don't show stock.
3rd from SOR $446.
Nitro Axles $500.
So "new/used" from the more expensive shops... +/- $2500.

That said, I bought mine years back with a decent set of drum brakes for $120 USD and it came with most of a 45 to boot.

Sorry for the lack of info, but I bought this and never ended up putting it into service, since I sold my 40. The distance between wheel mounting surfaces is 53 3/4". Center of spring perch to center of spring perch is approximately 38 1/2". No locker. Gearing appears to be 4.10. I don't know much about the internals of axles, but I'm assuming there is very little to no backlash, since the pinion flange starts to move the instant you move the hub. I think it came out of an HJ47. At least, it had that written on it in faded paint pen.

Last edited:
HJ47 would make sense. the sway bar mounts are the same as a 45. It looks like it came with E-Brakes o I'd say '79+

HJ47 would make sense. the sway bar mounts are the same as a 45. It looks like it came with E-Brakes o I'd say '79+

I think they told me '78 when I bought it, but they were probably wrong. I got it from Cruiser Parts in New Hampshire. They were absolutely horrible to deal with.

I think they told me '78 when I bought it, but they were probably wrong. I got it from Cruiser Parts in New Hampshire. They were absolutely horrible to deal with.
i ordered one from them also...years ago.....a semi floater arrived, then they fought with me that i didnt know what a full floater looked like because we didnt get them and they pretty rare and hardly seen.

It will be worth more when correctly identified. I would check the drain plug magnet for glitter if it has one. Hooking up a dial indicator to measure back lash and run out with good #'s would be a nice selling point. Good luck

i ordered one from them also...years ago.....a semi floater arrived, then they fought with me that i didnt know what a full floater looked like because we didnt get them and they pretty rare and hardly seen.

Sounds about right. I ordered several things from them at once, but I thought it was a pretty simple order. Turned out, every single aspect of the order was fouled up.

8/80 was the change self adjusting brakes. Backing plate used four bolts. Earlier full floaters used eight bolts. 8/80 parts were more universal across 40, 60 and 70 series. Hand brake on the rear axle was on all models except the FJ45 and HJ47. Those the hand brake was on the split transfer case. I have a HJ47 full floater and either a FJ40 or BJ42 full floater. There is an extra bracket welded on the housing for the hand brake cable.

8/80 was the change self adjusting brakes. Backing plate used four bolts. Earlier full floaters used eight bolts. 8/80 parts were more universal across 40, 60 and 70 series. Hand brake on the rear axle was on all models except the FJ45 and HJ47. Those the hand brake was on the split transfer case. I have a HJ47 full floater and either a FJ40 or BJ42 full floater. There is an extra bracket welded on the housing for the hand brake cable.

I believe that's the bracket seen near the top of the diff housing in the first and second picture.

I believe that's the bracket seen near the top of the diff housing in the first and second picture.

That flat bracket is for arm used to adjust the bias on the brakes depending on the load in the back. The hand brake cable bracket is a vertical bar with a fixed nut. I have 8/80 semi floating on a 82 FJ40 frame as well as the other full floater. The 82 frame and axle still has the cable attached.

That flat bracket is for arm used to adjust the bias on the brakes depending on the load in the back. The hand brake cable bracket is a vertical bar with a fixed nut. I have 8/80 semi floating on a 82 FJ40 frame as well as the other full floater. The 82 frame and axle still has the cable attached.

Are you talking about the one circled in this pic? It has a nut welded to it.

IMG_4132.1.jpg

Like I said previously, they told me it came off a '78 model, and it might have. However, I certainly wouldn't trust those guys.

sure looks like a 4 bolt mount for the backing plate.

my '77 had more bolts, the sway bar mounts, and massive manual drums.

sure looks like a 4 bolt mount for the backing plate.

my '77 had more bolts, the sway bar mounts, and massive manual drums.

I had one of those FF and sold it a few years ago. That is a 8/80+ FF but not one that had the hand brake. Only reason the hand brake for the split transfer case was even made was because Toyota didn't run a cable to the back of the LWB 40 series. It also why the H55F was offered in the LWB. Clearance is there for a hand brake and longer five speed. Torque tube behind the transfer is universal after across all 40 from 1/79 on. My 65 FJ45 there is plenty of room on the frame.

Are you talking about the one circled in this pic? It has a nut welded to it.

View attachment 3486568

Like I said previously, they told me it came off a '78 model, and it might have. However, I certainly wouldn't trust those guys.

That four bolt pattern for the brake backing plate is 8/80+. That makes it easy to had the hand brake using 60 series parts from the backing plate out. I'll snap a picture of the bracket for cable today. Been a while but as I remember it taller and turned 90°. I'm old and maybe remembering wrong. Again 8/80+ it will be fairly simple to add hand brake to the axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom