This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes the mpg will be some degree better but you have to pay $55k+ to save mpg. It is like getting tax write offs. The govt isn’t buying your expenses. You are paying money to get a discount.
Understood, that is why I said the overall cost of future operation would be significantly less with a 100 (primarily because we are all starting from $0 buy-in on the 100 in this analysis for startup cost, having it sunk already. If someone was choosing whether to buy a 100 vs. a new 250 a year from now when they are available, the equation would be kind different and unknowable/ academic. If they want a well serviced 100 from BAT they will probably pay $30k+, classifieds here probably $25k, but impossible to map out maintenance costs with that purchase. Relative cost of operation there would depend on timeline, too - and we have no clue what the 250 drivetrain will require after 150k).

I was merely pointing out that it isn't correct to say "the same gas" or even to say "some degree better." We all know - regardless of overall opinions of the 250 - that the 4cyl hybrid will offer significantly better MPG. That is the entire point of the engine and what is required to sell them in the US thanks to our wise govt overlords. I get 12 to 14 in my 100 and 470. The 250 will almost certainly get 25~, with Toyota estimating 27.

But, again, I am agreeing with your overall point that there isn't enough fuel economy to justify a $55k up front cost.

One more thing to add to the equation is the range. 100 has a very limited range unless with options from expensive LRA AUX tank to cheap Jerry cans.

All that is additional weight which affects MPG and range.

One more thing to add to the equation is the range. 100 has a very limited range unless with options from expensive LRA AUX tank to cheap Jerry cans.

I want to get an aux tank, but then I need to put my spare somewhere. So I need to buy a rear bumper and tire carrier swingout as well. 😅

I want to get an aux tank, but then I need to put my spare somewhere. So I need to buy a rear bumper and tire carrier swingout as well. 😅
Lol, went through that rabbit hole. And the aux tank is sitting in my garage for more than a year now... It'll be there till I plan my Alaska expedition.

On another note, Prado isn't less capable or cheaply made. GX crowd will stand for this. Prado has small diameter/thickness metal but never disappoints those who use it in the same way 100s are used. Tacomas, 4Runners, GX470/460s are plenty in the trails I've been into.

My concerns were the lack of space and tailgate in GX and then the Land Cruiser nameplate :cool:. Space issue seems to be addressed in 250 and tailgate we may never see again. And they put the Land Cruiser badge too (without saying it's a Prado :geek:).

I don't know.... $2k for a 40 gallon fuel tank for the 100 is waaaay less expensive than a new $60k vehicle :rofl:

We don't know the capacity of the 250's fuel tank yet, but I am hopeful the 250 will have a +500 mile range.

Understood, that is why I said the overall cost of future operation would be significantly less with a 100 (primarily because we are all starting from $0 buy-in on the 100 in this analysis for startup cost, having it sunk already. If someone was choosing whether to buy a 100 vs. a new 250 a year from now when they are available, the equation would be kind different and unknowable/ academic. If they want a well serviced 100 from BAT they will probably pay $30k+, classifieds here probably $25k, but impossible to map out maintenance costs with that purchase. Relative cost of operation there would depend on timeline, too - and we have no clue what the 250 drivetrain will require after 150k).

I was merely pointing out that it isn't correct to say "the same gas" or even to say "some degree better." We all know - regardless of overall opinions of the 250 - that the 4cyl hybrid will offer significantly better MPG. That is the entire point of the engine and what is required to sell them in the US thanks to our wise govt overlords. I get 12 to 14 in my 100 and 470. The 250 will almost certainly get 25~, with Toyota estimating 27.

But, again, I am agreeing with your overall point that there isn't enough fuel economy to justify a $55k up front cost.
Once you put on a high clearance bumper (ruins aero) and a set of a offroad tires it will probably be down under 20 MPG. Add a roof rack and it'll go down more.

I don't know.... $2k for a 40 gallon fuel tank for the 100 is waaaay less expensive than a new $60k vehicle :rofl:
lol, you guys acting like your 100 has no value. And costs over 5k to an AUX tank just for parts only. Rear bumper to relocate spare, springs, etc.

We don't know the capacity of the 250's fuel tank yet, but I am hopeful the 250 will have a +500 mile range.
If 250 has a sub tank and that's available for US market...

On another note, Prado isn't less capable or cheaply made. GX crowd will stand for this. Prado has small diameter/thickness metal but never disappoints those who use it in the same way 100s are used. Tacomas, 4Runners, GX470/460s are plenty in the trails I've been into.
They’re close but after test driving and owning a 100, it’s ahead of the v8 4Rs I own. They don’t feel the same to me really. Driving them back to back I definelty would walk away with a 100.

Will they do the same stuff, most likely. Is it overbuilt like a 100, no just get under the vehicles and look. Engine bay? Different. CV size? Different. Wheel bearing/hub setup? Different. The list goes on.

Both my wife and I prefer my 03 Hundy over her 08 v8 4R, fwiw. Even with rock hard leather….we both prefer cloth, which is in the 4R.

They’re close but after test driving and owning a 100, it’s ahead of the v8 4Rs I own. They don’t feel the same to me really. Driving them back to back I definelty would walk away with a 100.

Will they do the same stuff, most likely. Is it overbuilt like a 100, no just get under the vehicles and look. Engine bay? Different. CV size? Different. Wheel bearing/hub setup? Different. The list goes on.

Both my wife and I prefer my 03 Hundy over her 08 v8 4R, fwiw. Even with rock hard leather….we both prefer cloth, which is in the 4R.
4runner isn't same as GX. GX is far better than 4runner and bit less than 100 in many aspects.

That's not the point. Building a 100 with all accessories might not worth if you can buy one new with same capabilities and comfort.

We already have a 100 modified and customized for our own needs and preferences. So it's normal to get resistance to these statements here.

4runner isn't same as GX. GX is far better than 4runner and bit less than 100 in many aspects.

That's not the point. Building a 100 with all accessories might not worth if you can buy one new with same capabilities and comfort.

We already have a 100 modified and customized for our own needs and preferences. So it's normal to get resistance to these statements here.
4R and GX are the same in every aspect that matters: same steering rack, same rear axle, same CV axles etc etc. Both seem to break at the same rate. Always a GX or 4Runner on a trailer broken during Cruise Moab every year I've been.

4R and GX are the same in every aspect that matters: same steering rack, same rear axle, same CV axles etc etc. Both seem to break at the same rate. Always a GX or 4Runner on a trailer broken during Cruise Moab every year I've been.

I haven't offroad either of those just driven around. So cannot speak to offroad capabilities, who knows people rock crawling or abusing those? Many posts of 100s and 200s broken in San Juans and Tennessee trails. So who knows what they are doing with those? or lack of maintenance? Anyways, GX is superior in comfort and handling compared to 4Runner. 4Runner is a cramped and tough suspension in my experience.

Yeah 4Runners are horrible. Honestly, I don't know why they are so popular.
Must be the additional buttons! lockers, TRD badges, etc

I bought my 4Rs for price point and the reliable 2UZ with full time 4WD. Neither the 4R or GX are overly attractive to me, don’t care for the rear door either.

100s look great, off-road monsters, stock, barn doors, wagon style, I dig them all.

If I could go back and tell my younger self what to buy, it’d damn well be a 100, would have skipped my euro cars and problems.
Yeah 4Runners are horrible. Honestly, I don't know why they are so popular.

I was curious so I went to the Toyota Australia website... Base LC 300 series GX starts at $66k (in US dollars).

If given a choice between the two, 250 "LC" vs 300 LC GX for $11k more where would your money go?

I've been a very happy Hundy owner for the past 10 yrs. My rig is an '03 with 210k miles on it that I picked up in 2013 with 88k miles. It's been fantastic to own. I started searching for the face lifted 2016+ 200 a couple of years ago, but it was hard to swallow $70k + for a used rig that in many cases already had signs of corrosion living in the salt belt.

My rig was $63k in 2003 which is $104k in today's dollars (insane). So, the 250 at $55K - $65K is interesting. It's still a lot of $, but I never thought I'd have the chance to buy a new LC.

Any other 100 owners considering taking the plunge on a 2024 LC?

On the way to HIH7:

Typical duty hauling the dogs to our favorite trails:

Sea Kayak Hauler

2024 250

They sure are pretty! I am still undecided! I don’t daily my 2003 LX, but I have considered selling my daily driven Audi and heading towards the new GX! I prefer it over the new LC (prado). I don’t think I could never get rid of my LX

I've been a very happy Hundy owner for the past 10 yrs. My rig is an '03 with 210k miles on it that I picked up in 2013 with 88k miles. It's been fantastic to own. I started searching for the face lifted 2016+ 200 a couple of years ago, but it was hard to swallow $70k + for a used rig that in many cases already had signs of corrosion living in the salt belt.

My rig was $63k in 2003 which is $104k in today's dollars (insane). So, the 250 at $55K - $65K is interesting. It's still a lot of $, but I never thought I'd have the chance to buy a new LC.

Any other 100 owners considering taking the plunge on a 2024 LC?

On the way to HIH7:

Typical duty hauling the dogs to our favorite trails:

Sea Kayak Hauler

2024 250

I’m interested in the budget version of the 250, and I’m a hybrid service tech, so the more complicated drivetrain is not really a concern for me. I’m not going to get rid of my 100 series or 80 series even if I get a 250.

Y'all realize gas hasn't increased in price - adjusted for inflation - in over 40 yrs, right? Gas follows inflation and, other than a few blips (some big), gas is effectively always $4.20/gal.
Wat

Screenshot_20230823-080417_Brave.jpg

^that^ is a general CPI calculator. Gas-specific studies/reports vary a bit - from $3.60-4.10 but the basic premise is the same... gas is always around $4/gal adjusted

^that^ is a general CPI calculator. Gas-specific studies/reports vary a bit - from $3.60-4.10 but the basic premise is the same... gas is always around $4/gal adjusted
To replace my wife’s 4R for gas mileage, it’s going to take a lot, over double her travel and then I still have the difference of insurance costs. Not to mention the upfront cost of a new vehicle.

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom