Four Bolt holes in rear bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is mine, I pull a jet ski short distances and is good for light trailers. From other threads, it looks like it is good to tow a lot more than that though.

spare4.jpg

You can get a receiver that fits too:

Pintle Hook Pattern Bolt-On Receiver Tube, 2" I.D. #1804055

mine came orginally from the factory but mine is also originally panamanian it came with a regular 2" ball on it I don't have any pics now though I have an IPOR so don't have it anymore I am sure there are some pics somewhere of the factory hitch.

Four holes

This is a pintle hook. This one was standard on my 105 Series LC. Most the LC's here have a factory pintle.

I tow my 416 trailer with the factory mount on my FJ40 and my friend towed his M416 using his factory bumper.

If you rip the plastic off a Lexus your will find the same bolt holes.
FOX 002.jpg
FOX 001.jpg

Here's what I picked up today. Has 3 stainless interchangeable balls and is also a pintle hitch. My brand new receiver hitch is now for sale in the classifieds.

Now I just need the bolt-on chain loop... :hmm:
2011-6-3 110.jpg
2011-6-3 115.jpg
2011-6-3 101.jpg

One of my ideas was to fab up a plate to bolt between the hitch and the bumper. This would serve as a place to attach chains and it would also protect the bottom of the new hitch when maxing out the departure angle...
hitch plate.jpg

As others have said, lot's of threads on this subject. I went with the Holland pintle with 2" built-in ball. I've towed 3000 lb+ on a tandem axle U-haul on several long trips without a problem. Tows very well if the trailer is loaded properly.
Hitch 001.jpg

I had my welder make this up for me based on the pic. If you Google "Toyota Land Cruiser trailer hitches" you will get more options, maybe a better pic....

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/images/imagecache/jer25000a.jpg

Works pretty well. I have towed my landscape trailer and my 3000lb Boston Whaler with it. No issues. That rear cross member of the bumper is a pretty hefty piece of metal and it is attached directly to the frame.....

have the old Downey style one like that on my 40- great for racks and light towing- Not enough tongue support on the 80 for a motorcycle carrier- so I sprung for the $175 drawtite Maxi loader 5,000 tow/500 tongue- built like a s***house -nice powdercoating

Last edited:
As others have said, lot's of threads on this subject. I went with the Holland pintle with 2" built-in ball. I've towed 3000 lb+ on a tandem axle U-haul on several long trips without a problem. Tows very well if the trailer is loaded properly.

Is there an easy way to hook up a 7-pin connector like that, or is it a lot of wire running around the factory 4 pin setup?

Is there an easy way to hook up a 7-pin connector like that, or is it a lot of wire running around the factory 4 pin setup?

On the back of that dual connector is a standard 4-Pin connector that you just plug in....

Then there are 3 more wires...

White = Ground

Red = Auxiliary Fused Power

Blue = Electric Brakes

That's it :)

Don't they make a 4 to 7 and 7 to 4 converter plug? Or are you meaning you just want it to look like a stock 7 pin plug?

Uhaul had no issues with your tow hitch? I guess I'm surprised.

In Europe you are NOT allowed to use just that area for a tow bar, it is used to augment a 'proper' tow bar which comes off the chassis rails. During the import of my car to spain my towbar despite having all the right bolts and the chassis rail frame it has to be removed.....because there is not a little plate rivetted on by Toyota....more red tape :mad::bang: It seems you can 'tie' into that cross beam because it helps with weight but not with the actual pulling....if you know what I mean? Pics are about if need be.

EDIT: Just seen this https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/458004-introduction.html check out post #14, this is the shape of the european towbar however it is kept tight to the back frame member and tied into it with a plate that has adjustable height holes.

regards

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom