Four Bolt holes in rear bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump! Anyone try to use the 4runner hitch?

I came across this product a couple of years ago when I was trying to find a definitive answer as to how much the 80 could tow using these 4 holes. I like this product as you can quickly remove it although I'm sure it is prohibitively expensive.

JOST-World: VARIOBLOC

I also found this post from an Oz forum where someone states that the 80 series with a pintle hook has a max tow weight of 2500 kgs (5500 lbs) with a vertical pintle load of 250 kgs (550 lbs). This makes sense to me...:ban:

Caravaners Forum • View topic - Toyota 100 series Ball weight

Crap.

I'm trying to find something for my bike rack so I need the 2" opening to go through the bumper and crossmember. I don't want the thing to stick out to far. The l slee design for their bumper is perfect but I don't want to not be able to mount my spare underneath for long road trips. I think I will just have to have something custom made I can't find anything that bolts up directly.

hi

looking great. i have the 80 LC as well. i recently bought 11000 lbs bayliner with triple axle tandem trailer that comes with surge disc brake on 1 axle. everyone been telling not to tow the boat with LC. but seing you doing it makes me feel at ease. i am planning to fit in a turbo and intercooler on my 1HZ 4.2 diesel to boost the engine when goes up hill. i am planning to change the manual gear box gear ratio to give it more power when towing. do you think its necessary?

can you sell the me the hitch receiver and mail to Largo, FL? i need that adjustable height!

I made an adjustable pintle style hitch using parts from a receiver style hitch mount because I tow multiple trailers that have different tongue heights :)

adjbumperhitch6.JPG

adjbumperhitch10.JPG

adjbumperhitch7.JPG

With the ball mount removed, clearance is not an issue when wheeling :cool:

adjbumperhitch.JPG

As for safety, I'd never recommend towing anything more than 5k, but I had zero issues towing my 10k boat :eek:

villaincreggz14.JPG

villaincreggz12.JPG

Even with a few scary panic stops, the pintle hitch and the x-member held up fine :cool:

I've got one of those pintile hitches. Installed by the PO and I've never had the chance to use it yet.

I don't know what concerns me more, the pintile hitch or the conventional Reese tow bar which had to be shimmed by a number of washers by the PO because of some frame damage. I'd like to start towing with the pintile if I can because the Reese seems to tow way too low to the ground. I've only got a few inches between the road and the bottom of my trailer's jack at any given time. :flush: The only thing I tow is that small single axle trailer as you can see.

IMAG1253.jpg
IMAG1254.jpg

This thread inspried me to take action on my LX. It had a Draw-tite frame mount hitch on there until last night. I removed that, and am planning to remove the LX450 bumper in favor of the LC bumper and utilizing the bolt holes on the frame in a stock LC-type setup.

My question here is... I'd love to have a pintle, but need a receiver so I can use a hitch-haul. Does any make a receiver that will bolt into the four holes and have the receiver at the same level as the four holes? Similar to the Man-a-Fre product except that the receiver itself is about about 3 inches higher?
This thread inspried me to take action on my LX. It had a Draw-tite frame mount hitch on there until last night. I removed that, and am planning to remove the LX450 bumper in favor of the LC bumper and utilizing the bolt holes on the frame in a stock LC-type setup.

My question here is... I'd love to have a pintle, but need a receiver so I can use a hitch-haul. Does any make a receiver that will bolt into the four holes and have the receiver at the same level as the four holes? Similar to the Man-a-Fre product except that the receiver itself is about about 3 inches higher?

Chroad, I was also thinking of putting the LC in my LX. Do you know if the plastic bumpers are actually different or just the center piece (LX full plastic/LC frame and alloy step plate)?

Does anyone know what size/thread bolts fit in the 4 holes? I tried a 1/2" but threads didn't match. I am actually interested in just filling the holes with bolts to prevent rust build up. Plan on refinishing the area again and putting some chassis saver on and then coating the bolt threads with anti-seeze lubricant. I hate rust!
image.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT

Nevermind

Missed the part where you want it to be even with the holes :eek:
Looking around and saw this old thread. A hitch like that 4th gen T4R hitch would be a great fix. I could get rid of my departure angle killing OEM receiver. Do you know how far off the holes are?
Thanks

In Europe the four holes tend to be part of the tow bar system. There is a frame that bolts to long chassis rails and then a plate rises up to the four bolts as additional support, this is the OE method AFAICT. Of course in Spain that is not good enough, it has to be removed and thrown away and one fitted by an authorised supplier, then you get the vehicle tested with the tow bar.

You also have to have the vehicle retested if you take it off!!!

regards

Dave

Does anyone know what size/thread bolts fit in the 4 holes? I tried a 1/2" but threads didn't match. I am actually interested in just filling the holes with bolts to prevent rust build up. Plan on refinishing the area again and putting some chassis saver on and then coating the bolt threads with anti-seeze lubricant. I hate rust!

M12 x 1.25.

All I have seen were only threaded on top 2 holes. Have to use nutz n washers on lower two. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom