For diesel swap - what engine should I be looking for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow, really great insights all! Thanks

When looking at the low end of $10K - it works perfectly. However, if starched, not sure where I'll end up. Crossing $15K would put import options on the table (as suggested .. and was looking for into it few months now, but with the stupid virus going around, it's much harder).

I'll talk to few shops in the area to see what it will take and get a better picture.

When looking at the low end of $10K - it works perfectly. However, if starched, not sure where I'll end up. Crossing $15K would put import options on the table (as suggested .. and was looking for into it few months now, but with the stupid virus going around, it's much harder).

I'll talk to few shops in the area to see what it will take and get a better picture.
Just to be clear: You’re looking at $10k in parts (minimum) AND $10k in labor. If you have the space and the time you might pull off a 1HDT (mated to your existing trans) for ~$10k if you go bare bones. If you need a shop to do it for you... not likely under $20k. So if $15k total is your “maybe I should import” price, Import.

If you want simplicity - a 1hdt will be the best entry point. My 80 still runs it's original 1hz motor and I can vouch for how tough they are as it's approaching 700 k km's since new in 1992. 1hdft is a great motor but harder to find, and they were mainly in 100/105 series. Forget 1hdfte - this was a backward step as you are then dependent on electronic control.

Whatever you get, it needs to have an air starter

Bit useless in an 80 when there is no source of compressed air in the first place. ;) And 80's are not giant marine vessels. lol

Bit useless in an 80 when there is no source of compressed air in the first place. ;) And 80's are not giant marine vessels. lol

But if we wanted practical, we'd all drive Camrys.

But if we wanted practical, we'd all drive Camrys.

Hey my practical car is a brand new camry! it's the 300hp V6 though. who says practical can't be kind of stupid? lol.

the best "bang for your buck" IMO is to do what I did and find a project cummins truck that someone gave up on. One that runs but needs body work is ideal. after buying the truck, pulling the motor and selling parts from the dodge and then giving away the rest (I was tired of looking at it), my P-pump 12 valve with a NV4500 ended up costing me roughly 1800 dollars. I should have sold more but I was happy to get it gone. Now, I'm in who knows how much at this point in cost on other parts - maybe 3k at this point?. The key to saving money on a swap like this is patience. do not set a schedule or it'll drive cost up.

Seems sort of impossible (or suicidal) to set a build schedule at all right now anyway with the supply chain and shipping delays every one is having. At this point I'm shocked when even the simplest thing get to me in 2-3wks or less.

Keep in mind it's not easy to register an imported vehicle in California. You will spend LOTS of money for CARB compliance tests and visits.

We're wrapping up a 1HDT install in my 79 body on an 80 chassis. Truck had a 1FZ with a supercharger....stock 80 series driveline.....replacing for a number of reasons....fuel economy, simplicity, kind of a long distance truck.

Even as I am reading this thread, I am thinking to myself, "$25-30k....come on....that's way too much". I'd charge someone $30k to START if we had to do a swap and source parts. All day. We build things to what I would like to think is a higher standard than most shops....painting, plating, new EVERYTHING, wiring, fuel system parts, rebuilding of components, etc. Big big undertaking and lots of labor. Fortunately I can absorb the labor for the most part but I have a small fortune in parts. Quite honestly after this one, I'm not even sure what I would charge a customer. We probably have 3 weeks in wiring alone....granted my build was a little different than most with respects to the wiring but it was a huge job. The easy part....putting the motor in the truck :) Things looked great that day....

It’s kind of hard to keep a diesel swap on a budget. Also, will your A343 work with a 1HDT or similar? I’m not sure. Pretty sure Toyota never used it with a diesel.

I’m using the HDFT in my swap. But I also ordered a Rodney A442 transmission from OZ. That would definitely blow your budget but if you are gonna get a 1HDT or similar you might wanna see about just getting the transmission too (likely going to be the A442).

There are just so many little things that add up.

make sure its a red top for that awesome power, if weights an issue maybe back it down to an m11 :hillbilly:
A set of J springs with a spacer and a greasy shoe horn aught to make it a simple affair.

to add more options you could try a yanmar 6lp as thats just a rebranded 1hz for a marine application and they are very plentiful. Yanmar 6lp someone is potentially working on doing the swap now
1HD-T rather than 1HZ, with a different (14mm) fuel pump rather than 12mm, different turbo etc.

With the big tires, lift and added wight - looking for more power. As a bonus, no need to smog EVER.
As the Toyota diesel was never imported to the US it wont be smog legal in Calif. Going from a gaser to diesel of any kind is not going to be a walk in the park for smog in Calif ether about the same as a LS swap

As the Toyota diesel was never imported to the US it wont be smog legal in Calif. Going from a gaser to diesel of any kind is not going to be a walk in the park for smog in Calif ether about the same as a LS swap
I beleive this is the normal assumption, but folks like Georg @orangefj45 do these swaps all the time in Cali and have the process all figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom