Flooring for wood shop? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put some kind of sub floor. I don't care as long as it isn't particle board. Then put real linoleum over that. And your done. Wood floors are for places that deal only with wood. Put an epoxy cover over the top. Fill in the gaps. Sparks and welding slag love to get in them. Once they do you could be screwed.

If your not concerned with sparks and such then the only alternative is Linoleum. Real linolem. Will last a lifetime.

Put some kind of sub floor. I don't care as long as it isn't particle board. Then put real linoleum over that. And your done. Wood floors are for places that deal only with wood. Put an epoxy cover over the top. Fill in the gaps. Sparks and welding slag love to get in them. Once they do you could be screwed.

If your not concerned with sparks and such then the only alternative is Linoleum. Real linolem. Will last a lifetime.

What do you mean by "real linoleum"? The linoleum in my kitchen was damaged when I dropped a piece of firewood on it last winter.

Not sure how well sawdust would sweep up however so maybe not so great for a wood shop. It also wouldn't give you any structural integrity and would only add to the deadload (looks very heavy in person).

I had looked at similar products for a shop floor and requested samples. It has a rough "open" texture to it, so very hard to clean. Even vacuuming didn't pick all the sawdust out of it. And it compresses over time - leaving my planer on a piece of it for a month left a noticeable dent that was very slow to come out.

Don't think I'd like this stuff in a shop due to the cleanup - want something hard and slick for sweeping up I think.

Regarding the hardwood - agree, it's overkill. I'm definitely impressed by kiwidog's 20 years on poly'd plywood.

You could also go with cheaper OSB subfloor to offset a small part of that. Saw some utility grade oak on LL for $0.89/ft^2
Even OSB with a heavy poly coat would probably be okay, the floor in my Moms garden shed is un-coated OSB and it still looks pretty good after 25+ years.

What do you mean by "real linoleum"? The linoleum in my kitchen was damaged when I dropped a piece of firewood on it last winter.

Probably PVC or vinyl not real Linoleum. The real stuff is really tough. Think of old schools. The white 12x12 squares in that crappy color.

Probably PVC or vinyl not real Linoleum. The real stuff is really tough. Think of old schools. The white 12x12 squares in that crappy color.

:confused:
I always thought linoleum was sheet goods.

The 12X12 stuff that came in industrial green, red or white is a vinyl product, back in the day it was a hard rubber product.

We used the vinyl stuff on our production floor when we re-furbished the new suite. 12 years old and it looks almost as good as the day it was installed. All we do is have it stripped and waxed once a year. I've been thinking about doing my garage floor with it.

Linoleum will come in sheets or tiles - actually a crushed cork with linseed oil binder.

The floor tiles you're talking about "back in the day" were VAT - vinyl asbestos tile. They are now VCT - vinyl composite tile.

You could (and still can) also get hard rubber tiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom