FJ80 cabin air intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So after my last four wheel drive trip and getting hit in the face with dust on the way home I decided to do this. I also decided to go completely different route instead of trying to work with Toyota funky Mount I decided to make my own which then opened up my options for air filters also trying to fight with everything in that tiny little hole isn't going to work either so I made the hole bigger View attachment 1853754 View attachment 1853755 View attachment 1853756 View attachment 1853757 View attachment 1853754

View attachment 1853762

Well done. Enlarging the access hole is the only way and then making the filter mount. Genius.

I actually just went ahead and sealed the original intake with a swimming cap so no air or dust comes in.

54ABA857-A7FF-467F-97F4-71D7FA4CA1D8.jpeg

102C20F2-49F9-499B-882D-3C56BFF83A1B.jpeg

Well that will keep the dust out

In dusty conditions, I wonder if you could still run the Air if in the Recirculate mode with these 'caps' in place. I wouldn't mind that.

If you put your system to recirculation mode, and the foam seal on the recirculation flap is good, you shouldn't need to put a filter on unless you really want free air. Some dust is likely going to come through the c pillar vents as well.

After 21 years, I doubt it will be good. I should try and replace mine

So after my last four wheel drive trip and getting hit in the face with dust on the way home I decided to do this. I also decided to go completely different route instead of trying to work with Toyota funky Mount I decided to make my own which then opened up my options for air filters also trying to fight with everything in that tiny little hole isn't going to work either so I made the hole bigger View attachment 1853754 View attachment 1853755 View attachment 1853756 View attachment 1853757 View attachment 1853754

View attachment 1853762

Genius! I love when someone comes up with such a simple solution thinking outside the box!

@Arabian Cruiser

If you can get that extra cowl dusty (It can't be shiny or have reflective surfaces) and/or put a bunch of small, randomly torn pieces of masking tape on it (give it an uneven spots for the computer to track) I can make a 3D model of it with that.

Probably 25-40 pictures pictures from all around it (go in a circle starting at maybe 30-40 degrees angled down, then 70-80 degrees), highest resolution and clarity you can get. I do need it to be in RAW format. No JPEG or other compressed image files.

EDIT: Don't have to go crazy with the camera, I use a samsung galaxy S7 (12 MP) for my stuff since I don't have a fancy camera. I could probably do it with less, as long as I can get the raw image files.

Also do it on an overcast day so there aren't any hard shadows.

It's a process called "photogrammetry" if you want to look it up. I'll make the model, and then scale it to size and I'll see if I can model a filter box that can be 3D printed.

@Arabian Cruiser

If you can get that extra cowl dusty (It can't be shiny or have reflective surfaces) and/or put a bunch of small, randomly torn pieces of masking tape on it (give it an uneven spots for the computer to track) I can make a 3D model of it with that.

Probably 25-40 pictures pictures from all around it (go in a circle starting at maybe 30-40 degrees angled down, then 70-80 degrees), highest resolution and clarity you can get. I do need it to be in RAW format. No JPEG or other compressed image files.

EDIT: Don't have to go crazy with the camera, I use a samsung galaxy S7 (12 MP) for my stuff since I don't have a fancy camera. I could probably do it with less, as long as I can get the raw image files.

Also do it on an overcast day so there aren't any hard shadows.

It's a process called "photogrammetry" if you want to look it up. I'll make the model, and then scale it to size and I'll see if I can model a filter box that can be 3D printed.

That would be great.
I have moved to another city and believe that cowl was thrown out when cleaning up before the move. I'll try and get a new one where I am now and get you some pictures.

Another option is someone who really cut open a big hole like kdxman could take pics, although kdxman already chopped his off.

I'll be keeping an eye out for one over here on the pick-n-pull inventory website.
I'd try to make one with test fitting on my car but I'm about to leave it for a month or so.

Ok this bug's me, the idea that there are no cabin filters, I have been messing with this, by finding a filter that can be bought nearly anywhere and not a arm and a leg, I like the one @kdxman did but I do not want to chop my cowl if I can help it. I have to many things on my plate but I want this bad

My idea is to make an adapter for a smaller sized standard rectangle filter that will hopefully be small enough to insert it from the middle hole.

It would take somewhat long arms to reach in there but not needing to cut anything is ideal.

Someone said it earlier but the basic design is that it will be rounded on one side, which will butt up against the raised edge (and have a foam strip to help seal better), and on the other side have some clips which will hold onto the flaps toyota left on the lowered side.

I'm probably going to make 2 versions, one that you take a larger filter and cut it into an oval shape and glue in for maximum filter area, and the other will just take a small rectangular one (which will need to be blown out or replaced frequently I bet).

I got this done very effectively on a 99 4runner but something similar should work for you guys. Here you go.

-I removed plastic cowl
-The opening on the drivers side is an exact match shape wise to the section on the passenger side.
-I marked the area in the exact shape and used a uni biand saw to cut the access
-Air intake is oval with 1 flat corner on firewall side.
-I used a piece of aluminum and cut it large enough to cover the hole but small enough to clear wiper motor.
-I cut a square hole the exact dimensions inside the aluminum cover to accommodate a cabin filter for a 2016 - up Jeep Wrangler.
-I used 1” aluminum angle to make a filter rack and used heavy duty silicon the seal everything up.
-I checked clearance occasionally by turning wipers on.
-I temporarily sealed up the access hole with Butyl flashing tape not asphalt based
-I am working on a permanent solution for an access panel but the flashing is working great and is completely covered by the plastic cowl.

As stated above. It requires effort but is definitely not a hard job. This has been worth it due to the decreased dust and increased performance in cooling and defrost. I noticed 0 air flow drop. Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry i didn’t take more pics during project

Anyone got anywhere with this? Were you ever able to get a 3d model of the intake @Woofythewolf ?

Not yet, my local pick-your-part only gets a cruiser once a year or so, and I'm not too keen on cutting into mine. (I live 8 miles from the ocean so rust is an issue if I even scratch it down to metal.)

I might just try and model something based on reaching back there with my hands and a tape measure, just doing guess-and-check to get the contours right.

Right now though I'm busy with school and other hobbies (build season for Baja SAE competition is in full swing), so I probably wont be attempting that anytime soon, even if I regret it when I go to the desert next weekend.

How about this for an easy win?

I was wondering how to use these robotic pool filters. I remember when we had a pool and the robot cleaner was full, these filters would trap everything including all the algae, pretty efficient. I don't have dimensions, but they are about 5" by 10" (from memory), and obviously are water proof and could have a long life in the elements getting wet. I used to just hose them down to clean and put back into service, and lasted years. They have a built-in frame and rear supports, and could be used either under the intake louvers (instead of the the home furnace material) or over the intake like AKLifter shows above.

UPDATE: DIMENSIONS: (NOT INCLUDING EXTENSIONS) LENGTH: 10-7/8" WIDTH: 4-3/8" THICKNESS: 1/2" for Dolphin Nautilus robot

9991432.jpg

Then I started looking at the interface between the fan and the evaporator box. Found this pic for a fan being sold and there might be enough space between those two (or in the fan cavity) to dremel cut the plastic and create a door to insert one of these pool filters. Then either tape it close or 3D print a closing tab, maybe with small screws to secure it. Just a concept in my head, will need to measure opening on the fan box and poking around from below.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I found these for another application, was thinking these might do the trick at least for pollen. Stainless Steel filter fabric, 25 micron.

Amazon product ASIN B083DK8BL4

Here is my experiment. I ordered this 25 micron stainless steel mesh material to actually use it as a pollen filter on the roof intake for my 43, and decided to add some to the fresh air grills on the 80. It was pretty cheap on Ebay, and I was looking to keep pollen mostly from the vents. So far, just cut the strips bigger than the vents and put back in place, being held only by the vent clips.
Being stainless, can get wet and pass water easy enough. I did that already with a hose and they seem to work fine. Will update if it works to keep pollen, and dust, out.

61CBBEF3-2948-4E46-8118-BA624B2A1F86.jpeg
473C4333-25FF-49BE-AA1F-B0496617BA8F.jpeg
7E7ED490-BE30-4D6B-9EB7-CA8E9886F75E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom