FJ80 cabin air intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there is no cabin air filter in the FJ80's but where does the air pull in from? I want to figure out a way to filter it. Red rock dust/sand gets EVERYWHERE!!!

Why not just put your a/c on recirculate and then you won't pull dusty air from outside.

Comes in the vent below your windshield. I found out the hard way after a buddy sprayed sand all over my truck at the sand dunes. Turned the blower on hi and wow, what a mess!

I believe the air intake is under the cowl, right below the windshield. I wonder if you could insert some sort of an outdoor rated foam type of thing to filter out some of the dust? I'll take my cowl off today and see if this is a possibility.

I believe the air intake is under the cowl, right below the windshield. I wonder if you could insert some sort of an outdoor rated foam type of thing to filter out some of the dust? I'll take my cowl off today and see if this is a possibility.

Yeah I'm thinking I will try an my a filtered hood for it if I can. Have a few ideas.

I know the actual intake ducts are offset from the slots behind the hood to keep water out but I can't see them. Could someone post a pic of what's in there to help some of us get some ideas for a mounted filter?

In the winter time I've actually seen the truck suck snow through those vents under the wipers - and spray it still frozen-snow onto the inside of the front windshield.

If I know it's going to snow, I'll pull the floor mat from the 2nd row and put it carpet side-down over the vents and lock it down with the wipers. Keeps the inside of the windows cleaner once the truck is uncovered and ready to go.

I had a thought/daydream of bolting/caulking a duct/snorkel from those intake vents to the driver's A pillar and up to a cyclone can - then realized just how weird it would look to have snorkels on both sides of the car and a big mailbox under the wipers.

I'll never understand why Toyota put the passenger compartment intakes sunny side up under the wiper blades. These should have been ported out the sides instead of the top of the hood.

No, it shouldn't pipe to the truck's air intake - the engine could suck the air right out of the cabin.

I took off the cowl plate today. Looks like we *could* place an outdoor rated foam/filter thing directly above the plastic grates that are already there. The cavity under the grate is HUGE and consist of the wiper assembly, that moves during operation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

102_3911.jpg

102_3913.jpg

102_3914.jpg

I took off the cowl plate today. Looks like we *could* place an outdoor rated foam/filter thing directly above the plastic grates that are already there. The cavity under the grate is HUGE and consist of the wiper assembly, that moves during operation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

You also have a big hole at either end of the cavity behind the fenders, dump a glass of water in there and watch where it goes, just like rain.

Those intakes are HUGE! Could easily find a pool filter or something to fit in there.

Snorkel for the engine air intake is kinda pointless on these rigs but I may get one an hook it up in front for the cabin... Any ideas on it?

Few more pics of the screw locations; there are six of them. Obviously, you'll need to remove both wiper arms. DON'T lose the nuts as they're very unique and I haven't seen them anywhere else on this vehicle.

102_3960.jpg

102_3962.jpg

102_3961.jpg

1. Where the engine air intake is at, it's already well protected from dust/water unless you submerge above your hood an stop moving. There is a lot of debate on if the snorkel is worth it for the 94-97 an most say it is not.

2. I took it apart an I think I can seal it all off pretty good an just use a pool filter at the opening an maybe the drain hole. Should work ok for dust an not get damaged if it rains or gets splashed on.

I see some dust up through the hole for the steering shaft but its pretty minimal. Could probably just get some grease an put it on real thick.

1. Where the engine air intake is at, it's already well protected from dust/water unless you submerge above your hood an stop moving. There is a lot of debate on if the snorkel is worth it for the 94-97 an most say it is not.

2. I took it apart an I think I can seal it all off pretty good an just use a pool filter at the opening an maybe the drain hole. Should work ok for dust an not get damaged if it rains or gets splashed on.

Just remember that the wiper linkage is moving back and forth in that large cavity under the cowl plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom