FJ80 cabin air intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bump. Anyone do anything with this excellent info?
How tough is it to get the grille off to see the inside?
The cowl/grille comes off pretty easily. It doesn't get you to the air intake though...

:doh:

Haha. No time to take on another project
X2 on that. I put off all new projects until the holidays were over. Now that holidays have past I have a huge list to work through. I will put this on the list of future projects but have quite a few other items I commited to in front. I have to wrap up a couple more things for the 4Runner and Tacoma guys then the 70 series guys, THEN I can get back to 80 series stuff. Maybe around March I can dig into this project.

Last edited:
X2 on that. I put off all new projects until the holidays were over. Now that holidays have past and I have a huge list to work through. I will put this on the list of future projects but have quite a few other items I commited to in front. I have to wrap up a couple more things for the 4Runner and Tacoma guys then the 70 series guys, THEN I can get back to 80 series stuff. Maybe around March I can dig into this project.

I still want a blank for the ashtray! :grinpimp:

probably a bad time to try the Lysol thing then with it being January

I still want a blank for the ashtray! :grinpimp:

I put a trailer brake controller where my ashtray was. It fit nicely. I've seen where people have fit CB radios and other stuff in there too.

80 Series Land Cruiser: 7 (or 8) seat belts, 4 ash trays, 2 cup holders. Loved in stock form by wealthy 90's soccer moms. Something about that feels odd.

IMG_3602.JPG

I didn't read all 12 pages but has anyone tried leaving the hvac system on "recirculate" when in dusty conditions? Its gets really dusty here in the summer (think of dust that has the consistency of flour, but a foot deep on the trail) and I've had success leaving it set to recirculate.

When you are in a less dusty place kick it back to fresh.

I didn't read all 12 pages but has anyone tried leaving the hvac system on "recirculate" when in dusty conditions? Its gets really dusty here in the summer (think of dust that has the consistency of flour, but a foot deep on the trail) and I've had success leaving it set to recirculate.

When you are in a less dusty place kick it back to fresh.

I do this when leaving the tarmac and if I was to encounter traffic, it keeps the dust to minimum, and keeps fumes from cars in front of you filtering into the cabin. Can be used to cool/warm the cabin quicker as well.

regards

Dave

So bought an 80 series a few months back to restore after selling my old one a few years back. Was really surprised when I searched for an in cabin filter mod to see my thread from all those years ago was still alive and kicking

Anywho, I need a fix for this. I'm going to play with some ideas I've had and let you all know what I come up with.

Bought these 2 cleaners a few years ago and still haven't used them. They are old enough than most of the stuff in the Toyota cans leaked out. I didn't like drilling the hole to apply and its probably better to pull the condenser out and clean it.
So how many steps is it to install a cabin filter under the drains?

The wife drove the 80 last week for the first time in a probably a year and mentioned the truck smelling like old gym sox or something like that. I had my seats out a few years ago when adding new leather and went through the truck with a carpet cleaner. Might have to do that again as well as pull the heat condenser out and clean it.

So I found a miracle in a can. He he. This could be a short term fix.

HD Odor Eliminator

The headliner is also an area that doesn't get alot of attention. An old white t shirt and very lightly wiping with just a little soap and water helps.

cans.JPG

Getting the condenser box out is a pita. I replaced the carpets, padding, cleaned out the vent ducting, and sprayed the hell out of what I couldn't reach with Lysol. There is probably a better way to do it, but 90% of the old car smell is gone.

I'm more concerned with keeping out the feshfesh and pollen myself. I'm thinking of cutting out a hole into the engine bay, then into the side panel like the engine air filter, and just putting in a filter box. I've plenty of room to do it.

It's been a while, any movement on this?

So I have finally managed to get this sorted.

Ended up using a k&n motorcycle precleaner for the air filter with a k&n flat sponge.

The pictures are from a cowl I got from the junkyard. But it gives you an idea of how it finally fits.

You will need to open up the cowl where there is a stamp unit for a right hand drive plastic grill. Then I closed it up with a rubber sheet and silicone to stop water from entering the new opening.

So far it's working fine.

IMG_5219.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

IMG_5224.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom