Inexpensive Cabin Air Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
First things first I got this from a post on mud but can not find it, so I did not come up with this but it works really well. Please let me know who to give credit to for this and i will. Just had so many people ask about it so I am posting the requested info.

First remove the 6 screws holding the cowl on and remove the cowl

Second remove the 3 plastic screens

IMG_3703.JPG

Now you need a home central unit air filter like this
IMG_3702.JPG

Next take your .99 cent scissors and cut the filter to the shape of the plastic vent covers being sure to leave about a inch extra all the way around.
IMG_3706.JPG

Reinstall the cowl and you are done. Rain doesn't seem to bother it but it will stop a lot of the dust.

Did the grates snap back in place with the filter materal in place?

Last edited:
The grills snap right back in place and seem to seal pretty good. I know they aren't a perfect seal but they knock out a ton of dust if you are following someone down a dust road/trail.
IMG_3707.JPG

Pulling the wipers is a no fun job. Just had mine powder coated.
This is a great Idea thou!

What happens when the filter media gets wet? Looks like that would restrict air flow in a short period of time. Just switch the interior knob to recirculate when going down dusty roads.

What happens when the filter media gets wet? Looks like that would restrict air flow in a short period of time. Just switch the interior knob to recirculate when going down dusty roads.
Water doesn't bother it at all and even on recirculate dust comes in on mine anyway. With the red clay backroads we have you can tell a big difference with the filters in place.

The wife will like this :)

Only problem I see is the fact that there are two semi-large holes on the sides of the cowl housing under the fenders for water drainage.. if you restrict airflow from the top it'll just draw hot air from under the hood through the fenders.

Edit: trying to add an image. See hole in front of top door hinge just behind firewall.
dsc08159-jpg.1021675

Edit: trying to add an image. See hole in front of top door hinge just behind firewall.

Those filters aren't going to help you at all. Not at all. Those holes on the A-pillar are your least concern there.

Only problem I see is the fact that there are two semi-large holes on the sides of the cowl housing under the fenders for water drainage.. if you restrict airflow from the top it'll just draw hot air from under the hood through the fenders.

dsc08159-jpg.1021675
Sweet Beach Cruiser!
I would have taken pic with my shirt off and goggles on.

Those filters aren't going to help you at all. Not at all. Those holes on the A-pillar are your least concern there.

I'm not worried about unfiltered air.. I'm trying to avoid HOT air getting sucked into the climate control system.

Sweet Beach Cruiser!
I would have taken pic with my shirt off and goggles on.

Should have noted that wasn't mine. Pilfered form elsewhere on Mud

I'm not worried about unfiltered air.. I'm trying to avoid HOT air getting sucked into the climate control system.
That does help explain why the fresh air is always so friggin' hot.

Yep. and we can't block those windows or water wouldn't drain out of the cowl.

I could imagine a foam block cut to seal that portion of the under-fender area off from the engine bay helping.. my 2010 Jetta has something like this, though I suspect it is more for sound deadening than airflow control.

Has anyone considered just using a fine outdoor screen? I recently pulled the wipers and the cowl to clean all the leaves and crap out of there. Every time I turned on the air, all this crap blew out of the vents. Dust; whatever, but for larger particulate, a fine screen will solve 85% of the problem. (and it wont block air flow or create trouble with water, etc.)

Has anyone considered just using a fine outdoor screen? I recently pulled the wipers and the cowl to clean all the leaves and crap out of there. Every time I turned on the air, all this crap blew out of the vents. Dust; whatever, but for larger particulate, a fine screen will solve 85% of the problem. (and it wont block air flow or create trouble with water, etc.)

Screen won't stop the dust which is the main reason we did it. The filter medium we use doesn't block airflow or create trouble with water

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom