FJ62 Fan Clutch (Fluid Coupler) availability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys n gals,

I am updating my cooling system. My '89 62 heats up when idling with the AC blasting and also heats up when flogging it on the hwy. NO redline overheating but it would most likely go there if I wasn't paying attention and just walked away. The cooling system has always bothered me. The fluid that I have flushed multiple times is rusty brown. Here is my plan:

I have purchased a new Mishimoto 3 row aluminum radiator with built in tranny cooler (come on Summit Racing, make it happen!)

I have new Toyota upper and lower thermostat housing with a new in box Toyota 180 degree thermostat all gaskets (yes both for the thermostat).

I have a new Toyota water pump ordered PN: 16110-61180

Now, I need a fan clutch. No Problem right?

I have read that the Aisan Clutch built for the 3FE powered FJ80's is the way to go. It should have a light blue hub on it. I believe that is PN: 16210-61160

I also have been told by multiple sources it is NLA

Now is where I need some help. The old crusty cruiser hermit in OKC tells me I have to get the correct fan clutch, one that was meant for an FJ62 with A/C. Makes sense. I realize that other FJ62's were produced and sent all of the world with different options.... 3F engine with the carb vs. the 3FE engine. 5 speed manuals, Vent windows in the front doors, etc.

Here's my question. My FJ62 is a run of the mill USA spec machine. Was there an option for an 1989 FJ62 without A/C?????

There is only one fan clutch listed for my truck that I can find..

PN: 16210-61140 superseded to 16210-61121

I have that one on order.

I have also tried to order the entire water pump assembly from pump to fan clutch but I think it is also NLA PN:16100-69196

Looking for some advice on which fan clutch to go with and whether there was a no A/C fan clutch option on a 3FE NA spec FJ62.

I would love input from a true parts geek. BENO, where you at?????

thanks,

PS: I really don 't want to break open a new fan clutch and play Mr. Chemist with the different weights of silicone fluid available

Mine was showing the same symptoms recently. I purchased the exact Aisin FCT017 fan clutch @mattressking mentioned, for $65 on RockAuto.

The FJ80 fan clutch is FCT049 and is also readily available there for about $120.

I don't know what the exact difference is but I decided to go with the original fitment for about half the price vs. the 80 series clutch.

Mine was showing the same symptoms recently. I purchased the exact Aisin FCT017 fan clutch @mattressking mentioned, for $65 on RockAuto.

The FJ80 fan clutch is FCT049 and is also readily available there for about $120.

I don't know what the exact difference is but I decided to go with the original fitment for about half the price vs. the 80 series clutch.

How is your truck cooking with the Aisan rockauto clutch?

So I have a FJ60 not a 62, but really it should not matter much.
PO put in a CSF rad
I put in a new thermostat, AiSIN water pump, AISIN FCT-017 fan clutch (got it at rock auto as well), and all new hoses.
The key is to make sure the system is clear of air bubbles. A PITA with the rear heater, but possible and take your time.
Also make sure you do not over fill it.

I ran mine with AC full blast and never overheated and just sat around 180 degrees on my mechanical gauge. This is also on a rebuilt motor and so everything is clean and very green (coolant is). I was running anywhere between 0 and 65 MPH for 60 miles with and average speed of 55. Sat in town traffic and the temp crept up (like 2*) and as soon as I started to move dropped back to where it needed to be.
Outside temp was 94* and while I could hear the fan kick in, never a concern.
Of course after sitting it heat soaked to about 200, then I drove it again and it dropped quickly back down to 180.

I would say you should be fine.

FYI Beno was on vacation per the email reply I got off the website. He did how every crazy as he is, answer a technical question I had.

The stock fan clutch designed for your car is fine and recommended. New FJ62s didn't overheat. There's something else going on. A new radiator will make a big difference.
The engine will perform better (and maybe last longer) using the stock 190° thermostat, not the 180° thermostat that was designed to be used with the old FJ40s.

So I've found two thermostat part numbers, 90916-03071 and 90916-03052. Both say *Wax 88-100. How do I differentiate between the 180 degree and 190 degree stat?

-03071 is the old part number.
It has been replaced by -03052.
If you placed an order for the -03071 you would get the -03052.

@jmstu76 how did the install go? Everything working as expected?

I 've been dealing with overheating myself and its not fun. I feel like I am watching the temperature gauge more than the road or enjoying the drive.

Similarly, I want to swap in a new radiator on my 89 FJ62, new water pump, thermostat, hoses and fan clutch. Will be a bit pricey, but worth it to not be on pins and needles during long drives in Northern California summer heat. Thanks for starting the thread. Others are in the boat with you!

I recently put an Aisin FCT-004 (blue) fan clutch on our 62...and it cured our (occasional) highway overheating.

YMMV.

- Brian

So I have a FJ60 not a 62, but really it should not matter much.
PO put in a CSF rad
I put in a new thermostat, AiSIN water pump, AISIN FCT-017 fan clutch (got it at rock auto as well), and all new hoses.
The key is to make sure the system is clear of air bubbles. A PITA with the rear heater, but possible and take your time.
Also make sure you do not over fill it.

I ran mine with AC full blast and never overheated and just sat around 180 degrees on my mechanical gauge. This is also on a rebuilt motor and so everything is clean and very green (coolant is). I was running anywhere between 0 and 65 MPH for 60 miles with and average speed of 55. Sat in town traffic and the temp crept up (like 2*) and as soon as I started to move dropped back to where it needed to be.
Outside temp was 94* and while I could hear the fan kick in, never a concern.
Of course after sitting it heat soaked to about 200, then I drove it again and it dropped quickly back down to 180.

I would say you should be fine.

FYI Beno was on vacation per the email reply I got off the website. He did how every crazy as he is, answer a technical question I had.

This is my set up, and I'm not overheating in 100* weather. Something else is a miss.

[
@jmstu76 how did the install go? Everything working as expected?

I 've been dealing with overheating myself and its not fun. I feel like I am watching the temperature gauge more than the road or enjoying the drive.

Similarly, I want to swap in a new radiator on my 89 FJ62, new water pump, thermostat, hoses and fan clutch. Will be a bit pricey, but worth it to not be on pins and needles during long drives in Northern California summer heat. Thanks for starting the thread. Others are in the boat with you!

I haven't done the install yet. I have almost all new components on my thermostat housing. Waiting for one more to arrive. I also ordered a new Toyota Fan and found out today it's backordered. I wasn't planning on replacing the fan but another 3FE owner had his fan let go in Colorado on the SAS drive and it took out alot of stuff, including the radiator.

So after 300K+ miles, I decided to put a new fan in there.

No install quite yet, I'm waiting for all the parts to arrive before I tear into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom