FJ62 engine swap: 12HT or Cummins 2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 3FE is dead. I cannot stomach putting another 3FE in my cruiser. I recently had a shop quote me $14k - 18K for a V8 conversion and thats after i provide the donor setup. That's in the ball park of what i figured a diesel conversion may cost. That being said my money tree is looking pretty sparse these days. lol. I've read many of the build threads on here and I know that Torfab and one or two others have been working on a kit for the new Cummins r2.8 (which i've heard can be had crate for about $7,700). I've always wanted the 12HT. Is there a complete kit for the 12HT? I understand parts availability is strongly in the cummins favor. My question is this: how far off is my Diesel conversion estimate using a 12HT JDM ($4500) vs the Cummins ($7,700). If I stay Toyota (which is more appealing to me) and go with a 12HT then I'll probably keep the A440f with Extreme Valve Body (i know I know...H55...I'm just not a fan of standards unless Im in a muscle car!). If I go Cummins then I'll most likely get a different auto tranny. I'm located in North Texas and do not have the shop/tools/time to do this swap myself, so I'll be looking for someone that has conversion experience. All comments are welcome as i need to get my cruiser back on the road ASAP (Its been nearly 3 months...). Thanks.

There's some fine print buried in Torfab's thread- maybe the engine costs around 8 grand, but when all said & done (having to deal with the bellhousing) last I calculated, a complete R2.8 install on a 60 series would cost a bit north of 20 grand.
The 12HT (what's left of them) is ancient, and on paper it didn't have significantly better specs than the 2F. Look it up. Parts availability is next to nothing. The 12HT (in my opinion) was a swap contender in the USA 15 years ago, but not anymore in the USA. Too old. (12HT guys may disagree with me on that point).

My suggestion: Either rebuild the 3F-E and accept the cruiser for what it always was, or do the V8 thing and zoom. The R2.8 really is best suited for jeeps. It'll feel like an F series engine but noisier. It definitely wouldn't be happy behind an auto tranny.

Third opinion- sell the cruiser for parts and move on.

I like the 12HT better personally. But trying to compare a used $4500 12HT with a new R2.8 isn’t a fair comparison. Since you can’t buy a new 12HT the next best thing is a properly rebuilt one, which will he substantially more than $4500. There’s more than one person here who’s paid good money for a 12HT and ended up dumping a bunch more money into it. Some of them from overseas have been run hard, may have been previously rebuilt by who knows who, etc. If you do get one, get it from someone who knows what they’re doing and can be trusted. Then there’s parts availability. There’s lots of good reasons that good shops are installing the R2.8.

I’d think your estimate of $14-18k should cover the big ticket hard parts for the R2.8 swap (engine, adapters and a reman GM tranny) but labor and miscellaneous small parts would bump that up considerably.

If I ever do an R2.8 it will have a GM auto behind it. I am generally not a huge auto fan but I like them with turbo diesels, especially small ones. You get boost faster and don’t lose it shifting.

I'd love to have the r2.8 myself, but at the expense, the LS crate motor is comparable and lots more power and still better mpg's than an F motor.

I'd love to have the r2.8 myself, but at the expense, the LS crate motor is comparable and lots more power and still better mpg's than an F motor.
I looked into the LS conversion and was quoted $14k-$18k and that didn't even include the donor. If i can do a complete LS Swap for under $10k, then thats the route I'll go. But anything higher than that, then I'll get the diesel.

i have a 1hdt and love it. perfect for the weight of the truck. they are not so hard to come by but are a bit expensive just because they are desired. you may even get an a442 tranny with it.

I'm partial to the LS, but that's not what you asked about.

I would go with the Cummins. Modern power in a compact package. I know it's not Toyota, but everyone who has made the swap seems to love it. Also, you have the flexibility for different tuning for future usage.

I was hoping the R2.8 would be done around 15K (my max on toy money. Not even sure the R2.8 applies to California) but for +20K, I'm keeping the 60 with 2F and spending some of that money on my 100 while I find a 200.

It seems, for the time and money, you'd be happier with a diesel

It is more like 30K per Torfab's thread: "..it's 30 all in, but that also includes a brand new H55f and the engine at 9k."
As much as I like my FJ60, and would love to get a diesel engine in it to improve fuel efficiency and torque, and not having to deal with California smog anymore, for 30K you can also buy a three year old low mileage Grand Cherokee Diesel..

Even though i have a 12ht the 2.8 cummins would seem the more logical choice given emissions and parts into the future. But that is a lot of money in fact here is in Aust that equates too just over 40,000 aust dollars for the conversion. In saying that i have known people to spend more than that on there cars thats for sure.

what about a cummins 4bt swap? I've been doing some research on that engine, you can pick those up fairly cheap and there are after market parts that will mate it to toyota transmissions. Thoughts?

Love that engine. Tons of power and is extremely reliable. It's a brute in terms of power and noise/vibes, so it's not for everyone.

I hear they are somewhat more smooth and offer a ton of torque. Fit wise, it will be tighter, but it has been done. Also, more of those available than the 4BT.

What are your thoughts on the weight of the 6bt in either a 60 series or 80 series? They are heavy engines at right around 1,000 lbs.

I have a buddy with an 80 and a 6BT. Rides nice. I think he's running OME Heavy, but not 100% sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom