FJ60 Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
Need the Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit for the SOA conversion. It has 17MM standard kit and the heavy duty 25MM upgrade kit for $250 more. Is this upgrade worth it? Cruiser will be used both for DD but also expedition cruising.

3BDC915C-D3CB-4FB1-92DB-97ADAF740460.png

Last edited:
I had the standard on my SOA 60 with out any issues Didn't wheel it much but so much better than the "home-fab" Z-bar monstrocity that was on it when I bought it.

My stock 60 power steering gearbox is leaking so thought of getting another. With the SOA conversion I found I should swap to a FJ80 gearbox. The gearbox works the Mavin crawler setup. So now I’m wondering if I should go new $449, remanufactured $366 or used $175.

Marvin ...? Is that Marlins brother ?

The marlin crawler kit just uses fj80 rod ends. You still use the factory 60 steering box.
My 60 PS gearbox leaks, Cruisermatt said it’s better to upgrade to an 80s gearbox anyhow.

Ya-60 box is fine. 80 box has a bit more power assist.

Better? Maybe, but you already have a box that you know fits. Just get it rebuilt and Cruise on. My SOA 60 with 37 inch tires is steered just fine with stock steering box. Don't make this too hard. But one tip-the 80 series pittman is a helpful upgrade and fits directly on the splines of the FJ60 box. It has less drop and thus fit's better, though you may need to ream it for the ends you are using. (this is a trivial 2 minute job).

Better? Maybe, but you already have a box that you know fits. Just get it rebuilt and Cruise on. My SOA 60 with 37 inch tires is steered just fine with stock steering box. Don't make this too hard. But one tip-the 80 series pittman is a helpful upgrade and fits directly on the splines of the FJ60 box. It has less drop and thus fit's better, though you may need to ream it for the ends you are using. (this is a trivial 2 minute job).
Kit says it comes with a high steer pitman arm.

Trivial two minute job on a completely rust free west coast truck maybe, have you tried to remove one of these pitman arms from a steering box that spent time anywhere else? It’s a battle. Much, much easier to just swap the box.
And that way there’s no chance of reaming the pitman arm crooked or anything like that. Can’t believe you’d suggest tracking down a Toyota TRE tapered reamer over loosening four M12 bolts and one steering column bolt.

Need the Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit for the SOA conversion. It has 17MM standard kit and the heavy duty 25MM upgrade kit for $250 more. Is this upgrade worth it? Cruiser will be used both for DD but also expedition cruising.

View attachment 1770607

The upgrade to the 25mm bearings being worth it is going to depend on how hard you wheel. I've broken the stock size bearings offroad a few times. But I've always had spares and they've always had the kit out of stock when I was ready to upgrade. Do a search for them on Pirate.

Check with 4x4 labs too, their stuff is great and even if it isn’t listed on their site, they probably have a setup.

Trivial two minute job on a completely rust free west coast truck maybe, have you tried to remove one of these pitman arms from a steering box that spent time anywhere else? It’s a battle. Much, much easier to just swap the box.
And that way there’s no chance of reaming the pitman arm crooked or anything like that. Can’t believe you’d suggest tracking down a Toyota TRE tapered reamer over loosening four M12 bolts and one steering column bolt.

Maybe you're right. But nothing rusts here so that's a non-issue. and 4x4 Labs is 45 minutes away and has the reamers. Plus, I'd take the opportunity to ream for 1 ton ends.

You need to remember too, that the 80 box will only work on the later FJ60s and FJ62s, unless you rework the frame's bolt pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom