FJ60 Marlin Crawler High Steer Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe you're right. But nothing rusts here so that's a non-issue. and 4x4 Labs is 45 minutes away and has the reamers. Plus, I'd take the opportunity to ream for 1 ton ends.

You need to remember too, that the 80 box will only work on the later FJ60s and FJ62s, unless you rework the frame's bolt pattern.

@mcguirejohnson i think swapped in some skinny bolts on the offset corners and made a 80 box fit the early 60 bolt pattern, but I could be wrong.

@mcguirejohnson i think swapped in some skinny bolts on the offset corners and made a 80 box fit the early 60 bolt pattern, but I could be wrong.
If you could find the thread that’d be great. I did talk to Brennan @ Marlin Crawler today about the 80s gearbox and said some custom work needs to be done and it’s setup for the 60s gearbox. I don’t like to complicate things either. A rebuild kit for the 60 is $39. He did say the High Steer upgrade is better for handling both on and off-road. Another guy who knows the FJ60 was going to get back to me on the FJ80 PS gearbox upgrade.

A buddy of mine has a 80 steering box on his 5.3 vortex 62 that he upgraded to the 105 sector shaft and had RedHead rebuild the whole thing. He indicated that at speed the 80 box is supposed to have better handling. So higher speed freeway driving feels tighter and less slope over to one side and over correcting to bring it back.

@CenTXFJ60 did you mention that muguire put a late 60/80 box on a early 60 frame with skinnier bolts on 2 corners?

A buddy of mine has a 80 steering box on his 5.3 vortex 62 that he upgraded to the 105 sector shaft and had RedHead rebuild the whole thing. He indicated that at speed the 80 box is supposed to have better handling. So higher speed freeway driving feels tighter and less slope over to one side and over correcting to bring it back.

@CenTXFJ60 did you mention that muguire put a late 60/80 box on a early 60 frame with skinnier bolts on 2 corners?
David, Mcguire is running an 80 box but he’s also running the 89 frame/axles under his 60

Attachment is the same between the early 60 and 62/80.
I see the HS kit works on FJ60 81-87.
I found this pitman arm on their site for land cruisers 86-95 with IFS steering boxes.
So to go with an 80s box you need to purchase this separate pitman arm to make it work. Is that the only other part you need?

2FDDA262-F9C2-41F8-AB71-A877DAC7F1F5.jpeg

356B98AE-61F4-4A65-BC47-3692139CC3A5.png

Dude. Why are you buying a different pitman arm?
Did you actually read the discription on the Marlin Crawler site? That kit comes with a pitman arm. Why would you need to buy a SECOND pitman arm?

Last edited:
Dude. Why are you buying a different pitman arm?
Did you actually read the discription on the Marlin Crawler site? That kit comes with a pitman arm. Why would you need to buy a SECOND pitman arm?
I wouldn’t buy a second pitman arm if it will work with an 80s box but Brennan at Marlin Crawler said there is a difference in the 60s and 80s gearbox. I’m trying to figure out if this pitman arm is it. If you read their description it has different years it works on. The 60s box must have changed around 86/87. I should hopefully have a response back from them today.

The difference is the amount of drop and the size of the drag link hole. It also talks about an IFS steering box which is an unknown.

I think you are solving a non-existent problem. Put your SOA together and see where your existing pittman arm reaches. I thought mine was a bit low and in danger of hitting the spring. That's why I switched to the 80 Pittman, which has about 2 inches less drop. Since the splines are the same, this is an easy change. I put up some comparison pictures years ago. You can see it here.

soa17-jpg.280225

And for discussion see my ancient SOA thread from 10 years ago around post 99:

"It's Huge" New SOA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom