FJ60 oil pressure high (1984 FJ60) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDAWG97m3

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey group. I changed my oil today with ZR1 (zinc) 20-50 my oil pressure gauge is basically sitting by the ”H” is the 20-50 too thick? Should I be concerned? I did see a drop of oil on my driveway, which I have never seen befire ( if you can believe it) did I mess up my rear main bc of the high pressure? Am I freaking out? Should I change it and put 10-30? Thanks for the help

this week has sucked on my cruisers :) I still love them

I wouldn’t put anything in other than what’s specified.

the Bottom end bearings have a designed spec for the type of oil to travel through them. If you change your oil to something more viscous, the bearing might not be lubricated the way they should be - wearing everything out faster.

the Bottom end bearings have a designed spec for the type of oil to travel through them. If you change your oil to something more viscous, the bearing might not be lubricated the way they should be - wearing everything out faster.
20-50 is a specified oil weight that is compatible with a 2F.

Ok so drain and 10-30 with zinc additive…?
I read the manual. the oil pressure just shows high. Curious if I should be concerned. It’s “cold” in Atlanta in the mornings.

Ok so drain and 10-30 with zinc additive…?

I read the manual. the oil pressure just shows high. Curious if I should be concerned. It’s “cold” in Atlanta in the mornings.
I've never run that viscosity in my truck even in an arizona summer. I used to do 15-40 in summer and 10-30 in "winter" there. Does the pressure drop once the oil warms up? Before you assume the viscosity is causing a leak, you should crawl under and see where the drop came from.

I've never run that viscosity in my truck even in an arizona summer. I used to do 15-40 in summer and 10-30 in "winter" there. Does the pressure drop once the oil warms up? Before you assume the viscosity is causing a leak, you should crawl under and see where the drop came from.
No. It’s stays high. I am gonna drop the oil today. Put is 15-40. That is what the books says.

Hey group. I changed my oil today with ZR1 (zinc) 20-50 my oil pressure gauge is basically sitting by the ”H” is the 20-50 too thick? Should I be concerned? I did see a drop of oil on my driveway, which I have never seen befire ( if you can believe it) did I mess up my rear main bc of the high pressure? Am I freaking out? Should I change it and put 10-30? Thanks for the help

this week has sucked on my cruisers :) I still love them

You're ok, it's a 2F. Fresh oil will give a higher pressure than oil that's older. Cold oil will have a higher pressure until it warms. In my F engine Cruisers (2Fs & 3FE) fresh, cold oil usually reads at 70 psi until it warms then drops to 60 psi. Once the oil has aged some the high pressure will be about 65 when cold, dropping to 60 when warm.

I would just run the 20-50 until it's time to change it. When I rebuilt the 3FE I used Castrol 20-50 from the time of the rebuild and up through the first 100k+ plus miles. This engine now has >250k and does not have any oil pressure issues.

You're ok, it's a 2F. Fresh oil will give a higher pressure than oil that's older. Cold oil will have a higher pressure until it warms. In my F engine Cruisers (2Fs & 3FE) fresh, cold oil usually reads at 70 psi until it warms then drops to 60 psi. Once the oil has aged some the high pressure will be about 65 when cold, dropping to 60 when warm.

I would just run the 20-50 until it's time to change it. When I rebuilt the 3FE I used Castrol 20-50 from the time of the rebuild and up through the first 100k+ plus miles. This engine now has >250k and does not have any oil pressure issues.
X2
I also live in the Atlanta area (30+ years) and I have used Castrol 20-50 all of those years and 150K miles. Use the 20-50. Worry about rust.

SimS

X2
I also live in the Atlanta area (30+ years) and I have used Castrol 20-50 all of those years and 150K miles. Use the 20-50. Worry about rust.

SimS
It the high oil pressure that concerned me. Do you have high oil pressure too? I am in Brookhaven

interesting. Very strange why anyone would need oil like that.

Lots here run 20W-50 VR1. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're in extreme cold temps. Oil pressure gauge is not known for being super accurate anyway.

Too much salt. Sorry for the bad joke. I also use 20w-50. Maybe reseat the connector at oil sending unit. If not go back to what had bfore until you can figure out what is going on.

Last edited:
20w50 is fine year-round unless you see snow, though even here in Los Angeles I don't run it for winter. 6-8 months / year, yes.

Did you do a new filter when you changed the oil? Change the filter to a proper one and see what the pressure reading looks like.

20w50 is fine year-round unless you see snow, though even here in Los Angeles I don't run it for winter. 6-8 months / year, yes.

Did you do a new filter when you changed the oil? Change the filter to a proper one and see what the pressure reading looks like.
It was the OEM smaller filter. What else should I run?

The large filter. Wix 51515, Baldwin/Hastings B2, etc.

It the high oil pressure that concerned me. Do you have high oil pressure too? I am in Brookhaven
Cold Start oil pressure this morning. Mid 40s.
I only have the OEM gauge to go by. Cold start this morning mid 40s outside temperature.
oilpresssure.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom