FJ60 (FLYBOX) -> 2F -> 13Bt -> 15BFT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a big injection pump! I have not worked out why Toyota put inline pumps on some 15Bs - I don't think any other B engines got them after 1988 (except the 1989 13B-T which was an odd halfway between early and late 3B engine designs) but I may be wrong. From what I can tell, they only went on -FTs and not on -Fs. They were fitted to both Coasters and a few Dynas, but never on JDM models. I think all European 15B-FTs came with an in-line pump, and they seem to be common on the Chinese 15Bs.

Are you going to run turbo coolant lines?

I think that accelerator rod may want straightening :) Would you be able to measure it please? I am looking for a 250 mm rod to keep the BJ60s accelerator crank on the 15B-T, but it has to be moved back a bit (lengthening the rod) because the intake manifold is a different design.

Last edited:
That's a big injection pump! I have not worked out why Toyota put inline pumps on some 15Bs - I don't think any other B engines got them after 1988 (except the 1989 13B-T which was an odd halfway between early and late 3B engine designs) but I may be wrong. From what I can tell, they only went on -FTs and not on -Fs. They were fitted to both Coasters and a few Dynas, but never on JDM models. I think all European 15B-FTs came with an in-line pump, and they seem to be common on the Chinese 15Bs.

Are you going to run turbo coolant lines?

I think that accelerator rod may want straightening :) Would you be able to measure it please? I am looking for a 250 mm rod to keep the BJ60s accelerator crank on the 15B-T, but it has to be moved back a bit (lengthening the rod) because the intake manifold is a different design.
Turbo coolant lines are there. The turbo outlet I ordered was wrong so I cut it and welded it 90 deg so it points forward. I’ll measure tomorrow. 😀

Pure speculation, but I've been told old-school inline pumps are more resistant to lower quality fuels?

center ball to ball on the linkage 310 mm

center ball to ball on the linkage 310 mm
That is a long rod you have there Sir, thank you for measuring it!

Looks like you have solved my issue on how to make a 220 mm accelerator rod without having to weld two together. Thanks for sharing pictures of your unusual 15B-FT :)

13Bt is out. I'll try to install the 15BFT this weekend. I need a bracket for the AC manufactured. One of the engine mounts was broken, so I dug into a box at Valley Hybrids and found 2 new ones. Will be interesting to run the 15BFT with an alternator and AC from a 1HDFT. I'll adjust the belt location with the custom brakets. 4 hours of work...
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 8.17.43 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 8.17.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 8.18.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 8.18.15 PM.png

Last edited:
Today I dropped the engine in. Initially tried (for 4 HOURS!!!!) to drop the engine only while the transmission in the car. Never cursed so much in one day. Gave up, pulled it off the car, mated to the engine and installed. Still need to go and tighten all bolts. Now the actual fabrication work begins.

IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1690.jpeg

Any more photos of the ac bracket?
I used the OEM one that had a huge compressor and the after market one that came with the compressor from @joekatana that I bought for the troopy build (ended up using the OEM). Welded 4 tabs and screw that to the bracket that came with the engine.

Battery had to move to driver side. Air box moved a bit forward. Managed to install the PS high pressure hose (from 80 series). Finished the AC hoses, and got the belts. Next is fuel and electrical.

IMG_1746.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg

These 4 cylinder engines vibrate a lot. You may want to replace those couplings with single or double hump variety to try to isolate the intercooler as much as possible.
Thanks Roma. I'll put a longer silicone couplers and cut the piping a bit shorter.

Thanks Roma. I'll put a longer silicone couplers and cut the piping a bit shorter.
This is a good idea, I'm using 90deg silicone at the IC and a single hump at the intake etc for this reason

I will say that the DI 15BFT is wayyyyyyyy smoother than the old IDI 3B's though

This is a good idea, I'm using 90deg silicone at the IC and a single hump at the intake etc for this reason

I will say that the DI 15BFT is wayyyyyyyy smoother than the old IDI 3B's though
Interesting, I do not have my 15bft installed yet but the 15bf vibrates terribly at idle while the old 3b was smooth. Perhaps I have an injector issue with the 15bf?

Interesting, I do not have my 15bft installed yet but the 15bf vibrates terribly at idle while the old 3b was smooth. Perhaps I have an injector issue with the 15bf?

That's not a great sign. My 3B's are tractor engines until they warm up. The inline IP 15BFT running on a pallet was smooth from cold first start up

My project is not complete, driving a friend's BJ40 with 15BFT it felt odd how smooth it was

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom