FJ60 (FLYBOX) -> 2F -> 13Bt -> 15BFT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So...This is a project I was forced to. We bought the 1985 FJ60 in 1990 as a family car with 90K miles for $6000. Family trips were two weeks in the wilderness doing off roads and camping in BLM and NF. In 1994 we took it to the Arctic Circle with a 9 years old boy, two girls 5 and 3, and an 8 months old baby. 9000 miles, 30 days camping. Photo with McKinley in the background.

It served us as a family car until we had our 4th child when we bought our 80 series. It became my DD. About 16 years ago I stumbles on a 13Bt/H55 in Canada and my mentor and good friend Gerog Esterer @orangefj45 in Valley Hybrids did the diesel conversion. It was re-registered in California as a diesel and was used as a daily driver and work horse. Performance was great and at best was getting 28 mpg (driving at 55 mph). I used it to tow vehicles across the west coast and bring lumber from Home Depot. A few months ago the engine started to age with 400K miles. It smokes, uses oil and have a hard time starting. Once it warms up it is just fine (except the smoke) and here in CA you should see the looks of the Tesla drivers when you are stopped at the light and the exhaust blows smoke into their window. (on a separate note... I am tempted to put a pump that injects diesel into the exhaust. We used to have it in the tanks to create clouds of smoke. Turn it on if someone is tail gating you.)

So the question was to rebuild the engine or put something that is running. My friend @AlbertoSD found 15BFTs that had about 100K miles that came from a Coaster bus. The price was less then a rebuild, so I figured that since I don't have anything better to do (traveling, building a troopy, woodworking, running a company, helping friends with their Landcruisers...) I'll take the project on. So it begins...

The engine arrived last week and I started working on it. Ordered from @Japan4X4 4 oil pans, pick up, dip sticks and turbo inlet and outlet. I can not say enough good things about Dave Stedman.

The valve cover was damaged with a hole and patched with some epoxy (you can see the patch). I removed it all and filled with aluminum epoxy that can sustain 500F and being powder coated. Next would be to replace the HUGE 24V alternator with a Terrain Tamer mated to a 1Hx, starter and AC compressor.

Stay tuned...

IMG_1421.jpg
IMG_1802.JPG
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1330.JPG

Today I loaded the engine on a stand and pulled the oil pan. Took a while. The 300 mm clutch/flywheel will not fit the aluminum bellhousing to mate the H55. Looking for options.

IMG_1428.jpeg
IMG_1430.jpeg
IMG_1431.jpeg

Last edited:
It is my understanding the bell housing and pressure plate may need a little grinding. I'm not sure why this would be the case if using a 13bt flywheel and bell housing. One would think it would bolt up the same.

It is my understanding the bell housing and pressure plate may need a little grinding. I'm not sure why this would be the case if using a 13bt flywheel and bell housing. One would think it would bolt up the same.
The 300 mm clutch that came one this engine and flywheel will not fit my bell housing. I’ll have to get a smaller flywheel. 🤷‍♂️

The 300 mm clutch that came one this engine and flywheel will not fit my bell housing. I’ll have to get a smaller flywheel. 🤷‍♂️
Are you sure it is 300? I thought 15bfts were either 360 or 330 and get swapped out. I believe your 13bt flywheel should work.

Are you sure it is 300? I thought 15bfts were either 360 or 330 and get swapped out. I believe your 13bt flywheel should work.

The clutch is 300 mm. Flywheel is bigger. Did not measure it. I want to keep the 13Bt in one piece. Giving it to a friend. Do you have the part number for the 13Bt flywheel, clutch, plate , bearings…?

Ah, I misread and thought that was the flywheel size. I am in the process of finding sources for parts myself in preparation for if/when I do this swap, cruiserparts has the 300mm 3bii/13bt flywheel listed, waiting to hear back if they actually have it in stock. Amayama lists it as in stock. Part # is 13405-58020. BJ74 or 3b clutch should work. Still researching myself.

Last edited:
In regards to the grinding on bellhousing and pressure plate - I believe that only applies if you are using the cast 40 series bell housing and using larger BJ74 clutch as the 40 used a slightly smaller 260 mm clutch and BJ74 clutch is 275 mm. If you are running the aluminum BJ74 bell housing, should be able to run the larger 275 mm clutch without interference as that is what it originally used.

Also I believe you need the engine backing plate off the 13bt that the bell housing bolts to. And starter. You may want to just rob these parts off your 13bt.

Also I believe you need the engine backing plate off the 13bt that the bell housing bolts to. And starter. You may want to just rob these parts off your 13bt.
I know. Thanks. Are you building up a 15BFT as well?

It's in the works. Hope to have parts in hand by spring. Curious, why the need for new turbo inlet/outlet?
It came from a coaster. The direction of both was wrong. Last photo is the correct setup.
IMG_1386.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

IMG_1408.jpeg

You need a flywheel for a 275 mm clutch from a 14B/15B, they are still available as far as I know. Part number 13405-56041 Toyota 13405-56041 (1340556041) FLYWHEEL SUB-ASSY - https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/1340556041

If the H55F has an aluminium clutch housing, it should fit without any modification. Only the old cast iron versions need grinding.

Unless that is a 1989 13B-T (I can't tell from the picture as the differences are very subtle), the 6 bolt 13B-T flywheel will not fit your 8-bolt 15B-FT crankshaft.

I believe that the gear-driven steering pump on the 15B-FT needs reorienting on a 40 Series, I imagine it's OK on the 60 Series, but would be worth checking. I'm re-using the 3Bii steering pump on my 15B-T (not 15B-FT) conversion for various reasons. I am not sure however if your 15B-FT head has the correct bolt pattern to accept the steering pump bracket.

EO

Last edited:
I have been using the gasket kit. Replaced the rear oil seal and happened out the plug for the dip stick so we can install the new dip stick. At this point I can install the new oil pan.
IMG_1441.jpeg
IMG_1443.jpeg
IMG_1442.jpeg
IMG_1445.jpeg
IMG_1446.jpeg

I have been using the gasket kit. Replaced the rear oil seal and happened out the plug for the dip stick so we can install the new dip stick. At this point I can install the new oil pan. View attachment 3451256View attachment 3451257

Just in case it gets overlooked, I would be sure to change that spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. Very annoying to have to remove a transmission to change out a $5 part. I use bread or plasticine in the hole, hammered in with an old bolt which pops the bearing out every time.

Interesting to see that the Megacruiser sump (oil pan) is still available. It's for an -FTE. Does it perfectly fit the -FT block?

Just in case it gets overlooked, I would be sure to change that spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. Very annoying to have to remove a transmission to change out a $5 part. I use bread or plasticine in the hole, hammered in with an old bolt which pops the bearing out every time.

Interesting to see that the Megacruiser sump (oil pan) is still available. It's for an -FTE. Does it perfectly fit the -FT block?
Hahaha. Thx! I ordered all the parts. Always do when separating the bellhousing. Regardless of the milage on the parts.

Installed the oil pan today and loaded the engine on a cart. This week I’m getting all the parts to mount the clutch. Been harvesting Claro Walnut this weekend so not much time for metal and grease. Alaska Mill!

IMG_1466.jpeg
IMG_1467.jpeg
IMG_1468.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpeg

The part numbers are helpful, how much did all the extra parts cost from Japan4x4?

I will be following closely as the 15B-FTE I was thinking about buying would be a huge pain to convert to mechanical injection. Better off starting with an FT. Are all of the engines AlbertoSD has inline pumps like yours or any rotary? His engines are pricey but at least an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom