FJ43 pre-purchase advice/help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good pic here - the sway bar mounting points are on the front of the rear axle housing

7D7AEB55-016F-424A-8D4F-4E260FB65A7C.png

@FJ43 1980 good find on the photo, that is what I have on mine and what I have seen on many before.

Seems accepted across the board that the truck in question is a no-go.

Of all the stuff that is wrong with that red truck you are worried it’s missing the sway bar?
Easy now, I’m not worried as I got no skin in the game. I listed many faults on this truck early on in this thread as did others. FYI - this truck does have a rear sway bar as per the pics. Question was posed do 43s have rear sway bars. In keeping this ”tech” I tried to answer. I’ve since looked it up and rear sway bars were on 43s up until model year 1980; not post 1980. So @devo your truck being a ‘81 wouldn’t have had one. Cheers!

Easy now, I’m not worried as I got no skin in the game. I listed many faults on this truck early on in this thread as did others. FYI - this truck does have a rear sway bar as per the pics. Question was posed do 43s have rear sway bars. In keeping this ”tech” I tried to answer. I’ve since looked it up and rear sway bars were on 43s up until model year 1980; not post 1980. So @devo your truck being a ‘81 wouldn’t have had one. Cheers!
Sorry. I missed the question.

Found the same thing. Wondering if the new beefier springs 8/80+ is why the rear sway bar was dropped on the mid wheel base. Up to 7/80 the sway bar itself shows the same part number for BJ43,FJ43,45,55,HJ45. The 8/80+ 45/47 shows the same number.

That was my thought that with the beefier springs on 8/80+ Mr. T dropped the sway bar on the 43s.

@Critter Sorry your thread was hijacked with tech talk. Whatever you are looking at check it out in person, and use the cruiser community where you can. There are plenty of people on this forum willing to go take a look at a truck for you if it's in their city.

Best of luck!

“Seems accepted across the board that the truck in question is a no-go.”

I concur, the red one offered up for sale as an “example of good work” for 60k is a joke and a no go.

The original red one for 25k that critter was asking about.... one might be ‘swayed’ more in person.

@Critter Sorry your thread was hijacked with tech talk. Whatever you are looking at check it out in person, and use the cruiser community where you can. There are plenty of people on this forum willing to go take a look at a truck for you if it's in their city.

Best of luck!
No apology needed! I learned something as well which is what this is about.

Good advice above particularly the three before this. I don’t see a Vin tag on the firewall (should be on upper passenger side). I’d take a good look at the suspension and frame. Many of these rigs were worked hard.

Good advice above particularly the three before this. I don’t see a Vin tag on the firewall (should be on upper passenger side). I’d take a good look at the suspension and frame. Many of these rigs were worked hard.
As a follow I did get confirmation of Vin tag, it was obviously pulled off and riveted on again.

How common is that on these for future reference?

I don’t think that there is a good reason for the VIN tag to be removed. It could happen if the truck was stolen at some point; probably not that uncommon for a 40+ yr old truck from SA. From your pic #4 in first post they didn’t rivet it back where it should be on the passenger side upper cowl engine compartment.

I don’t think that there is a good reason for the VIN tag to be removed. It could happen if the truck was stolen at some point; probably not that uncommon for a 40+ yr old truck from SA. From your pic #4 in first post they didn’t rivet it back where it should be on the passenger side upper cowl engine compartment.

Up until the the 78 model the plaque under the hood was held on with screws. First on the firewall with four machine screws and nuts. Mid sixties move to the right fender with four sheet metal screws the. Some time in the seventies only two sheet metal screws. With the 78 moved back to the firewall with rivets. US market 3/69 a second plaque was added to the A pillar but those won't be on imports.

Toyota obviously didn't take the plaque that serious only using screws up to 78. Also replacement plaques are being made. Probably have a new one made when I get the H55F in my 79. Will wait until decide if I want keep the 3.70:1 or 4.11:1 diffs. Same with the color. Will keep the original plaque with the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom