FJ43 pre-purchase advice/help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having purchased my Colombian FJ40 on BaT about a year ago, be prepared to do some work. I had to put a new wiring harness in because the “restorer“ cut corners and wanted to cash out and figured no one would notice. Part of the fun in buying these is working on it yourself.

The body work is questionable looking at how every panel appears shiny but wavy, the front fenders appear to be leaning, the turn signals are leaning away from the hood.

It has a post 79 grill but pre 79 tub, the gas tank is interior instead of underneath and the rain gutter at the front edge of the doors should go to the bottom of the rocker on a post 79 tub (assuming SA and NA are the same?)

Not common is right. No sway bars on NA 40’s or any 43’s that I have seen.

They may have been more common on 45’s?

Devo

Only reason a mid wheel base wouldn't have a rear sway bar is if was removed. Short wheel base never seen a listing for a rear sway bar. Short wheel base FJ45s and FJ55s also had sway bars.

@Critter There are definitely some things wrong with the first truck you posted. If you are looking for some advice on your FJ43 hunt I would be happy to help. I currently have 3 for sale and have personally driven one as well for a few years. Although there are many excellent restorations out there of SA trucks, you must be mindful that there are so many importers that take these straight from the streets of South America after being beaten up and then post them for sale stateside. Below is the latest I have available for reference of our work.

Feel free to PM me to chat about these trucks so you don't get burned, happy to get on the phone too.

Only reason a mid wheel base wouldn't have a rear sway bar is if was removed. Short wheel base never seen a listing for a rear sway bar. Short wheel base FJ45s and FJ55s also had sway bars.
@Living in the Past is correct, 43s came with a factory sway bar. My 43 has one and it’s listed in Toyota’s EPC. More importantly as caught by @DEADSALT that u-bolt and spring perch are pretty mangled; it likely did involve some unusual directional force. I’d pass on this one and take @jjh123 up on his offer to help.

@devo Many 43s have the sway bar, not sure if it's factory though. Does your rear crossbar of your frame for the two mounts that would hold it in place?

Last edited:
10FDEF92-2E0F-48E8-ABB1-02DF67EB85AC.png

yah might not want to be driving this “latest reference as an example of our work”

None of them.

A.J
Maybe factory rear sway bars were only on some 43s. This post has good info and per @Economist LC76 43 soft tops had them. Not to say that they could have gone missing... Can check for perches on rear axle housing.

That’s what I thought about the sway bar. I’ve only seen about 10 43’s in my life so it was just a matter of time before seeing the first. Not to mention the name but I haven’t seen a sway bar on any FJCO’s 43’s either? It could have been added to that unit back in 1978 for safety...LOL
I’m gonna check mine for the mounting points though .

devo

E7EEEE6C-7FB6-4AFE-BC99-AF30DAE2FDF3.png

got it,
so some pics in the for sale ad are from before the 2020 frame off restoration as an example of what to look out for in a SA 43.

there are certainly some great examples;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom