1970 FJ40 purchase help. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think you'll find a rot free, original paint, original parts 40 in running condition (and your color choice) for 15k.

If you can live with some rust, or a bunch of needed maintenance and repairs, the prices are more in line with your budget. And honestly, working on them is half the fun. Driving them without worrying about scratching it is the other. 😉

Last edited:
If you buy it and want to do small upgrades as you have the time and $$$, I have some items that would help you. I have baffling kits for that Holley that would make it an excellent off road carb. I have much nicer/larger air cleaner for the Holley. I have heavy duty skid plates in case that one proves poo poo. I have recessed filler necks to get that gas cap inside the body.
I suspect the steel plates on the rear floor were put there because the rig has a rear fuel cell that mounts with long bolts "through the tank" and up into the body. This style normally either cracks out the tank where the bolts come through, or the sheet metal floor where the bolts come through. My guess is the weight of the full tank cracked out the floor sheet metal???

I’ve been stalking FB marketplace for a spring green 40 for a year or so now and I came across this one. I’m wondering if anyone sees any major red flags in the pictures. I’m still extremely new to 40’s so please bear with me. Also, I know value can fluctuate significantly depending on how the undercarriage looks but any thoughts would be appreciated. This one is a 10 hour drive so I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the road trip.

Little background. I’m looking for a road worthy project. Rough around the edges is ok, a basket case is not. As stock as possible with no major rot. I can repair some rusty bits but don’t want to replace a tub. At this point, I’m not picky on things like PS, transmission, or AC. We have a 1975 CJ5 as a shop vehicle so I’m used to no PS, no windshield, no suspension, and no class. I've been maintaining ex-Vietnam helicopters since 1999 so while I don't consider myself a decent car mechanic, I'm pretty good with wrench on 50 year old helicopters. It’s going to be a summer ice cream run / retirement rig. I’m 10 years out from retirement but I don’t see values dropping much so I’m looking now. We live near Acadia NP in Maine so an old school 40 would make a great vehicle for tooling around Bar Harbor and the coast of Maine.

View attachment 3407018View attachment 3407019View attachment 3407020View attachment 3407021View attachment 3407022
67N? Takes one to know one.

I see nothing that would keep me away from it, if that's what I wanted. I kept UH-1V models flying with nothing more than a small mechanic's toolbag. The 40 is lots simpler than they were. I think you can handle this one.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom