FJ40 Power Steering Conversion - 80 Series Power Steering Box Kit? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The
I have 60-series (late model) steering box, 70-series relay rod and Monroe SC2915 steering damper with SC2946 mountings. Those are cheap in Rockauto, so I bought both and mixed them to get right one. Just right length now without any modifications.
View attachment 2189142

Very cool post. I'm going to give this arrangement a try before I commit to changing the frame hanger. Too bad I need to buy another set of OME pins...

I see that you heavily modified that DS shock tower
Yes, I cut one very much, almost got it fit properly, but not so good I wanted:
1579769687829.png

...so I made a completely new one of 2x5 mm + 8 mm plate:
1579769507770.png

1579769654730.png

1579769742122.png

Does the 60 pitman arm fit the 80 series box ?

Yes
The one I just did I had the box tilted a bit more forwards so the 80 arm actually worked out better, the 60 pitman arm put the drag link really close to the spring at full bump on driver’s side

80 box (and pitman arm):

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if this question was asked before. What is the advantage of the 80 box vs the 60's ?
How thick are the plates you used to reinforce the frame under the box ? Good job on yours by the way.i hope mine looks as good when done.

Sorry if this question was asked before. What is the advantage of the 80 box vs the 60's ?
How thick are the plates you used to reinforce the frame under the box ? Good job on yours by the way.i hope mine looks as good when done.

80 power piston is 4mm larger diameter. This means more steering assist. In practice it is minimal difference and both boxes are very powerful on a FJ40 which is much lighter then a 60. Use whatever box you get your hands on.

Plate welded on the inside of frame is 3/16", frame sleeved with 1/2" ID tubing. Nothing thicker then the rest of the chassis, doesn't need to be.

Do you think that the shock tower remained strong after being modified to clear the steering shaft

People have been doing these for +25 years... it's fine

80 power piston is 4mm larger diameter. This means more steering assist. In practice it is minimal difference and both boxes are very powerful on a FJ40 which is much lighter then a 60. Use whatever box you get your hands on.

Plate welded on the inside of frame is 3/16", frame sleeved with 1/2" ID tubing. Nothing thicker then the rest of the chassis, doesn't need to be.

Thank you. I will proceed as you advise. Great info.

Did you also use 3/16 on the outside ?

Did you also use 3/16 on the outside ?

No, 3/16" on the side and the holes in the frame are sleeved with 1/2" tubing. That prevents the frame from crushing. Plating the outside would require even more material removed from the shock mount.

Do you think that the shock tower remained strong after being modified to clear the steering shaft
what do you mean with "remained strong" ? - it was braced for additional strength over the OEM shock tower

also, nothing on my power steering conversion has broken in the past 7 years :meh:

Last edited:
what do you mean with "remained strong" ? - it was braced for additional strength over the OEM shock tower

also, nothing on my power steering conversion has broken in the past 7 years :meh:
Good to know. Glad that I won't have to install the Ford shock towers . They're impossible to get here.

No, 3/16" on the side and the holes in the frame are sleeved with 1/2" tubing. That prevents the frame from crushing. Plating the outside would require even more material removed from the shock mount.
If you don’t use an outside plate you have to move or modify the radiator support right?

If you don’t use an outside plate you have to move or modify the radiator support right?

Over 1” needs to be removed from the rad. support. So you would need at a minimum a 1” plate to avoid that, as well as a completely new shock mount.

Over 1” needs to be removed from the rad. support. So you would need at a minimum a 1” plate to avoid that, as well as a completely new shock mount.
When I did my FJ60 conversion I used a 1/4” plate on the outside of the frame to clear the radiator support and then used F250 shock towers. Is the 80 box bigger than a 60 so it interferes more with the radiator?

When I did my FJ60 conversion I used a 1/4” plate on the outside of the frame to clear the radiator support and then used F250 shock towers. Is the 80 box bigger than a 60 so it interferes more with the radiator?

It's 4mm larger piston. the actual housing is pretty much the same dimensionally though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom