FJ40 Power Steering Conversion - 80 Series Power Steering Box Kit? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
I want to do a power steering install on my 1977 FJ40. I have heard the 80 series power steering box works very well with a 1HZ power steering pump (which is ultimately what I want to do).

Does anyone make a power steering kit using the 80 series power steering box?

I basically want to recreate @The Eradicator's setup. Any input appreciated. Thanks!
Power-Steering-Box.jpg

Power-Steering-Box-2.jpg

Power-Steering-Box-4.jpg

Power-Steering-Box-3.jpg

Kevin (Tools R Us - RIP :frown:) used a 60/3FE series reservoir for the power steering conversion on my 40, with an 80 series box

info and pics on my conversion start at post #326: the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . . (where the initially planned 60 steering box is shown; which turned out to be leaking :rolleyes: - then jump to post #357 (where Kevin ultimately fits the 80 series box, more pics following about how the column was set up, coming from an original one-piece steering column

Kevin (Tools R Us - RIP :frown:) used a 60/3FE series reservoir for the power steering conversion on my 40, with an 80 series box

info and pics on my conversion start at post #326: the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . . (where the initially planned 60 steering box is shown; which turned out to be leaking :rolleyes: - then jump to post #357 (where Kevin ultimately fits the 80 series box, more pics following about how the column was set up, coming from an original one-piece steering column

Thank you. I wonder if the 60 series box and the 80 series box have the same bolt pattern?

yes, they do - same clearance on the shock tower, too - that's why Kevin was able to swap in the 80 box so easily after prepping for the 60 box

Be aware... there are two bolt patterns for the -60 boxes. The early boxes (though ~'85(ish) have a parallelogram pattern while the later 60 boxes are rectangular. The later 60 boxes are the same as the 70 and 80 series boxes.

I went with the later style on my 1HZ conversion to have a wider range of compatibility.

Last edited:
If this is the box you are installing you may want to address this port. It looks like it got hammered by something and definitely will NOT seal up. Unless it's the picture angle but I don't believe that is the case.

1578798905753.png

Be aware... there are two bolt patterns for the -60 boxes. The early boxes (though ~'85(ish) have a polygon pattern while the later 60 boxes are rectangular. The later 60 boxes are the same as the 70 and 80 series boxes.

I went with the later style on my 1HZ conversion to have a wider range of compatibility.

Also, great intel on the two styles of 60 series steering boxes. Thank you!

post #6 in this thread has pics of both boxes side by side

That is beautiful! Did you notch the driver’s side fender for the steering box? Looks factory!

Yup, I’ve put a lot of effort into making my work look like something the factory may have done. ... if the factory was a middle-aged dude with modest means, and even more modest abilities. 🤣

post #6 in this thread has pics of both boxes side by side

Thanks!

I wonder if the late-model 60 series boxes and the 80 series boxes have the same bolt pattern?

Yup. I went with a stock box for the time being but I’ve been keeping ear to the ground for a second one to have rebuilt with a 100-series sector shaft.

What's the advantage of the 100 series sector shaft?

It's heavier duty, as I understand it.

... not that I'm ever - ever - going to break a standard -80 box. I just like tinkering.

Did you find a front steering stabilizer solution?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom