FJ40 muffler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 75 FJ40 in need of a muffler. I have searched the forum and not really found that much but I see that MAF carries a muffler. Any other suggestions on finding one? Also I have a weber carb, non-USA distributer and 6-1 headers. If you have some input would appreciate some direction on this. Thanks in advance.

My brother has a 2f also, and if you ask me his Delta Flow 40 Series Flowmaster sounds awesome. My f motor with the Orginal Flow 40 Series sounds good too but is a bit louder. The 50 series flow masters sound good too(they are queiter than the 40s). But thats if you want to go in this direction.

Just had a 50 series flowmaster put on and it sounds great, not to loud at idle and nice tone under throttle. P.S. I have a 2F with Man a Fre 2 piece headers and stock carb.

Jeremy

No offense, but...

I think flowmasters sound like crap.

I'd get the cheapest turbo muffler they have at your favorite auto parts. If you want it loud, get a short cherry bomb; even cheaper.

I've got a 2f with manifold and the PO's two cherry bombs in series. It's surprisingly quiet.

I'd get the cheapest turbo muffler they have at your favorite auto parts.

I would have to second this - I went to my local farm supply store and bought a $17 turbo muffler. My F sounds like a straight six should, ie, not a V8. When it dies someday, maybe it'll be replaced by a 350, and then it'll sound like a V8.

Tony

I had a flowmaster 40 series on mine with a 6 into 1 and 2-1/4 exhaust. It sounded great (much like a V8) at idle, but it was incredibly loud going down the road. A year or two ago I switched it out for a $20 thrush turbo muffler from my local napa. Still nice and throaty at idle, but not loud (from the exhaust at least) when driving it.

I am not looking for any certain sound, stock would be fine with me. This muffler just looks like it was crushed on a rock or something so just want to replace it, thanks for your feedback. Any others welcome to, one person mentioned to me that magnaflow was pretty good so I went to their website, lots of size choices so Im not sure yet.

I call Bull****!!!!!

Uh... I don't think you can call BS on somebody's opinion, only when they're trying to pass it off as a fact.

Well, unless you're saying that he actually does like the sound of flowmasters, but is lying about it. :D

I agree that quiet is key. Our rigs are damn noisy as it is, and anything that can cut that down a bit is well worth it, IMO.

3x on the quite.

nothing worse than unnecessary noise in the woods.

let your vehicle speak through action

these guys have a nice compact stainless steel that is factory quite

just an opinion:beer: :beer: :beer:

Muffler repairs to a 7/75 FJ40. Replacement muffler ideas?

Yup, my muffler died on my July 75 FJ40, and I'm perusing the threads for ideas.

I'm looking for quieter than louder. Smoother than throatier.

Most comments focus on sound and install pathways, but the muffler manufacturers all comment on back pressures. With my stock 2F motor and original 6-1 stock manifold, and no catalytic converter I wonder if there's much performance drawbacks to buying an off-the-shelf muffler from a major muffler shop chain?

The rest of the existing pipes look really good, so I'm only interested in changing out the muffler to the tailpipe portions.

Ideas?
P3100030.jpg
P3100029.jpg
P3110035.jpg

i got a cheap muffler and it sounds great! one thing i might mention while you're at this stage is your routing. if i had it to do over again, i wish i would have had the exhaust run inside the frame rails so i could get some sliders. good luck.

I have a Flowmaster the sound of which I hate :mad:

but it tucks away nicely for wheeling :D

I have a Hushpower muffler on my 40 and I like the way it sounds, very quiet. Yes, the Hushpower is made by Flowmaster, but it's a completely different design, rather that internal chambers, it's a straight thru design like a cherry bomb. The small size makes it perfect for a 40. Mine is tucked in next to the frame rails. Only complaint is that it was expensive ($100), but it is stainless steel.

FWIW, I have a stock F motor, 6-1 header, 2-1/4" piping and a 18"x2-1/4 Hushpower with the tail pipe exiting out the side like the factory exhaust (1973).

check it out at
http://www.hushpower.com/product/29/HP-2+Series+Mufflers+-+409S.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom