FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No, the Downey/Marks Header is not covered by proprietary intellect, have at it.
2. The actual Header is in fact the only pattern a Header shop needs, they merely make a new fixture off the existing Header, done deal.
3. The only drawings we ever made of the Headers were the drawings necessary to accompany the applications for exemption when we got the Landcruiser Headers smog legal (when supplied with specific smog retrofitting equipment). Headers could not be made off those drawings since they were actually somewhat abstract.

Thanks, Jim - always a wealth of info on LC culture.

This is DOM tube - what alloy? Mandrel bent as well? Are the collectors manufactured, or available commercially, then spliced together?

The flange at the exhaust ports, hot-rolled steel, right? EDM or plasma or waterjet CNC?

1. DOM, mandrel bent, stainless or 14 gauge mild steel ok.
2. Collectors totally custom made, positive interference design.
3. We laser cut the top flanges, water jet ok, definitelyCNC.

Were the collectors bent cold, or heated in a kiln?

20211030_162559.jpg

20211030_164541.jpg

Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

Wrapping a header is not the devils work. If it cracks in 10 years replace it. Holy s***. I’d rather my feet don’t burn.

My
Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

Wrapping a header is not the devils work. If it cracks in 10 years replace it. Holy s***. I’d rather my feet don’t burn
Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

Wrapping a header is not the devils work. If it cracks in 10 years replace it. Holy s***. I’d rather my feet don’t burn.
My headers (Downey or ManaFre - too long ago to remember) have been wrapped for over 20 years with no issue. Maybe unusual but works for me 😁. Nice cool engine bay in all conditions.

Perhaps depends upon brand of wrap, or number of layers of wrap. I've actually peeled of the wrap on Headers that had cracks all throughout the pipes.

If anyone is interested in picking up the torch on this, I have approximately 30 new manifold flanges sitting on the shelf I had laser cut before I pulled back on production.

I
Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

I think the idea here is coming up with a quality on piece header like Downey used to sell. MAF and Spector are two piece and the JT one is pretty flimsy

I have a note to grab a pic of the flanges on Thursday.😊

Hmmm. A stainless version would be schweet. Not to mention stainless tubing back to a stainless muffler...

:p

Hmmm. A stainless version would be schweet. Not to mention stainless tubing back to a stainless muffler...

:p
I just did that with a MAF 2 piece. Sexy.

Would the smog cert be able to convey somehow or would a new manufacturer need to recert?

Would the smog cert be able to convey somehow or would a new manufacturer need to recert?
The smog legal header requires several other pieces to be sold with it in order to be legit. There is a custom stubby EGR tube from the relocated cooler that requires obsolete crush collars (like a fuel pipe uses) as well as the COOLER mounting bracket. And since Jim verbally assigned the rights to that header to me, those would need to be sold by me. I have the EO stickers…somewhere…but haven’t seen them for a few years.☹️

Last edited:
More Gee Whiz information:
If someone can move forward with using their existing Downey Header as the pattern for a Header manufacturing shop, they then could buy Marks remaining top Header flanges to build the first batch, keeping in mind that many a stainless steel Header does NOT have a stainless steel top flange. Then Mark or I could develop the necessary kit/pieces (including the exemption decal) to make those Headers smog legal. Harder than finding a shop who is willing to build the Headers is finding a shop who is willing to build the Headers in smaller affordable batches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom