FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter martymart
  • Start date
  • Watchers 18
Downey

Downey

SILVER Star
1. No, the Downey/Marks Header is not covered by proprietary intellect, have at it.
2. The actual Header is in fact the only pattern a Header shop needs, they merely make a new fixture off the existing Header, done deal.
3. The only drawings we ever made of the Headers were the drawings necessary to accompany the applications for exemption when we got the Landcruiser Headers smog legal (when supplied with specific smog retrofitting equipment). Headers could not be made off those drawings since they were actually somewhat abstract.

Dizzy

Dizzy

Thanks, Jim - always a wealth of info on LC culture.

This is DOM tube - what alloy? Mandrel bent as well? Are the collectors manufactured, or available commercially, then spliced together?

The flange at the exhaust ports, hot-rolled steel, right? EDM or plasma or waterjet CNC?

Downey

Downey

SILVER Star
1. DOM, mandrel bent, stainless or 14 gauge mild steel ok.
2. Collectors totally custom made, positive interference design.
3. We laser cut the top flanges, water jet ok, definitelyCNC.

Dizzy

Dizzy

Were the collectors bent cold, or heated in a kiln?

20211030 162559

20211030 164541

wngrog

wngrog

SILVER Star
Website
www.seeandeatms.com
Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

Wrapping a header is not the devils work. If it cracks in 10 years replace it. Holy s***. I’d rather my feet don’t burn.

Ranger Jeff

Ranger Jeff

My
Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

Wrapping a header is not the devils work. If it cracks in 10 years replace it. Holy s***. I’d rather my feet don’t burn
Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

Wrapping a header is not the devils work. If it cracks in 10 years replace it. Holy s***. I’d rather my feet don’t burn.
My headers (Downey or ManaFre - too long ago to remember) have been wrapped for over 20 years with no issue. Maybe unusual but works for me 😁. Nice cool engine bay in all conditions.

Downey

Downey

SILVER Star
Perhaps depends upon brand of wrap, or number of layers of wrap. I've actually peeled of the wrap on Headers that had cracks all throughout the pipes.

Hugh Heifer

Hugh Heifer

Chasing the Beast
I
Man A Fre

Spector

JT Outfitters.

All sell headers.

I think the idea here is coming up with a quality on piece header like Downey used to sell. MAF and Spector are two piece and the JT one is pretty flimsy

Blue77FJ40

Blue77FJ40

SILVER Star
Hmmm. A stainless version would be schweet. Not to mention stainless tubing back to a stainless muffler...

:p

iptman

iptman

SILVER Star
Would the smog cert be able to convey somehow or would a new manufacturer need to recert?

65swb45

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Would the smog cert be able to convey somehow or would a new manufacturer need to recert?
The smog legal header requires several other pieces to be sold with it in order to be legit. There is a custom stubby EGR tube from the relocated cooler that requires obsolete crush collars (like a fuel pipe uses) as well as the COOLER mounting bracket. And since Jim verbally assigned the rights to that header to me, those would need to be sold by me. I have the EO stickers…somewhere…but haven’t seen them for a few years.☹️

Last edited:
Jordan85

Jordan85

Count me in on a set as well. Ceramic coatings have come a long way too. Bet that would/ could help with temperatures.

Downey

Downey

SILVER Star
More Gee Whiz information:
If someone can move forward with using their existing Downey Header as the pattern for a Header manufacturing shop, they then could buy Marks remaining top Header flanges to build the first batch, keeping in mind that many a stainless steel Header does NOT have a stainless steel top flange. Then Mark or I could develop the necessary kit/pieces (including the exemption decal) to make those Headers smog legal. Harder than finding a shop who is willing to build the Headers is finding a shop who is willing to build the Headers in smaller affordable batches.