fj40 carb cooling fan...do you run yours? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks , I am neither.....but persistent. I know mine has never ever worked from day one (when it was new). I removed the fan and cleaned lubed the motor checked the brushes and it still looks new....test ran it on the bench with a current limiting power supply and it works like a champ at 12.5 volts it draws 1.53 amps. After I get my engine back in I am going to have this working.

Thanks
Dwight

Just remember that the timer(module looking thing by firewall) has a history of cold solder joints on the connector that is attached to the circuit card assy. If it's hard to see, take outside w/good sunlight, or use a magnifying glass to make sure it's ok. If it's bad you will see little cracks in the joint. The timer gets two signals, 1. from the sensor located by the carb. area which is a thermistor, Change in temp changes the resistance state, open/close. The thermistor usually oxidizes because of it's location so remove it and clean it. If you are still not sure it's good test it on the bench using the ohm function on a multimeter and heat gun. Should see a change in resistence as the temperture rises. Basically a ground singal(from thermistor) gets fed back to the timer and 2. the ignition switch has to go from the "ON" postion to the "OFF" position to activate the timer and eventually turn off. If it's still hot cycling the ignition switch will cause it to come on. When both conditions are met, the timer will energize the relay causing the fan to come on. I have not swapped parts between the fan and heater motor but they seem to be identical on my May 79 so if you need motor parts that could be a possiblity.

Last edited:
Carb Cooling Fan

Looks like I'm not the only one around having Vapor Lock issues this summer. So I'll bump this thread and look for some input?
I have an 8/76 from california, W/ a carb cooling fan that is not hooked up. Everything looks complete and intact but no connection to the fan.

5906052773_2bcb3297aa_z.jpg

This is what I am looking at, green plug from Fan looks like it should just plug into the white plug on the fender but it dosent have the same connection.
5906053221_5d81af1b69_z.jpg

Where should the wire to plug into the fan come from? under the dash? Does anyone have a pic of there opperational fan of the same vintage?

5906052965_d37e5b4ace_z.jpg

Thanks

Sensor Location

Just to be sure is this my sensor? My fan has never worked so I pulled it last summer with the intent of cleaning it up and testing it, then working backwards to find the problem. Just want to make sure this is the sensor (located behind carb)
P3250059_2.jpg

Just to be sure is this my sensor? My fan has never worked so I pulled it last summer with the intent of cleaning it up and testing it, then working backwards to find the problem. Just want to make sure this is the sensor (located behind carb)

The sensor is attached under the exhaust manifold. To best see it look over the fender and under the brake master. There's a picture of one in this thread. Your's may look slightly different. On a '78 it connects to the harness at the same place as the brake pressure sensors, right by the carb fan itself.

I had a minor hot starting issue over the weekend myself (temps were 100 f). I've got the '76 fan as mukker4life has which I picked up at a swap meet. I guess I should dust it off and see where it fits. I'll take a look at the connectors when I get home in a couple hours. Edit: I didn't get to it.

Last edited:
That looks like the same sensor on my 76, mine is mounted much lower. On the carb heat shield behind the carb.

My 9/77 works great. Now I all need is a cooling fan for the driver.

77 California emissions style

These are pictures from my 77. I have the same fan as you. The green connector attaches to another green connector with a blue/red wire, and a white/black wire.
0706011603.jpg
0706011603a.jpg
0706011603b.jpg

If the sensor above is for the fan...Mine is mounted to the air rail, and the connector appears to attach to the same color wires as the fan. all wire go in to the firewall...

HTH
0706011604.jpg
0706011605.jpg

Thanks Kurtnkegger those pics help a lot. Since I have a webber and headers my sensor appears to have been moved by the PO, but your pics will be great because I've been collecting parts to go back to a stock carb.

Thanks Kurt, that helps me also. My white plug has the same wires going into it. I'll trace it back to the fuse and may just end up jumping the plugs as see if it works correctly when hot? I already made sure the fan works.

This is what I am looking at, green plug from Fan looks like it should just plug into the white plug on the fender but it dosent have the same connection.
5906053221_5d81af1b69_z.jpg

Where should the wire to plug into the fan come from? under the dash? Does anyone have a pic of there opperational fan of the same vintage?

That fan is the same as Kurtnkegger's '77. The fan I got at a swap meet is different, at least how it mounts. If there was a 2-piece mount, I don' t have the fender piece. My fan mount ends right by the motor with a flat vertical metal bracket with two holes for horizontal bolts. It's very clearly OEM. No pic now, sorry. The fan, shroud and motor are very similar if not identical.

The fan I have has the white plug that matches the white plug coming out of your and my harness with two pins at 90 degrees, as opposed to the green plug with two parallel pins.

Last edited:
I think the fan I have is exclusive to the California spec emissions model. It seems the non-Cali fans run from the middle of the fender well area.

I think the fan I have is exclusive to the California spec emissions model. It seems the non-Cali fans run from the middle of the fender well area.

Link to a picture of that? A '78 carb fan blows from the vent near the apron across, under the master; totally different.

Here's one from an fj60:

P3280012_web.jpg

Mine is not like this. It's like yours, but with a different bracket. I'll go get my camera and upload the picture.

Last edited:
This really informative. I had no idea the 40's had a carb cooling fan. My 78 is Non USA and no fan, no sensor, no vapor lock and it gets a little above 100 degrees at times here but mostly 85 up year round with very high humidity. Stock carb too.:hmm: Then again no emissions stuff either. could be the difference idk.

Link to a picture of that? A '78 carb fan blows from the vent near the apron across, under the master; totally different.

Here's one from an fj60:

P3280012_web.jpg

Mine is not like this. It's like yours, but with a different bracket. I'll go get my camera and upload the picture.

I believe this is how mine is set up in my 1980 (currently does not work):

web.jpg

. Do most FJ drivers have a functioning carb cooling fan? I have a 78, but I'm not familar with the story behind the fan...it seems like a design flaw fix and I wonder if they later fixed it where a fan isn't needed.

the fan is on the emissioned engines, so not on non u.s. models. it was required because the emissions caused higher temps and that created the fuel issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom