First 250 mile drive, new FJ40 to me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

My fiancée and I just took a train to Austin, TX from Denton, TX to pick up our new 1970 FJ40. We had seen pictures and talked to the owner but otherwise bought it sight unseen and drove it 250+ miles back home the day we got it. She's got a pretty fresh 2F, 3 speed on the floor and is otherwise stock. Tentative plans are recover seats, 2-4" lift, ~33" tires, paint, soft top and drive the heck out of! We had a blast driving it home yesterday and it did great the whole time. Got about 14mpg at an average of 55mph.

Looking forward to joining the FJ family here. Had a number of old vehicles before and look forward to wrenching on this one.

Stephan Nelle
2013-01-06_10-32-56_685.jpg

Nice! :)

Way cool! Since you're obviously not afraid to drive it, bring it to Dallas this Thursday night for the monthly LSLC meeting and show it off. 7pm-ish at Pappas BBQ.

(I wouldn't paint it - it looks perfect as it is to me.)

Amen to that! She's good lookin'!

I lied, the FJ has 6-1 headers, a Weber carb, and electronic ignition. Stock besides that...I think.

Hello all,

My fiancée and I just took a train to Austin, TX from Denton, TX to pick up our new 1970 FJ40. We had seen pictures and talked to the owner but otherwise bought it sight unseen and drove it 250+ miles back home the day we got it. She's got a pretty fresh 2F, 3 speed on the floor and is otherwise stock. Tentative plans are recover seats, 2-4" lift, ~33" tires, paint, soft top and drive the heck out of! We had a blast driving it home yesterday and it did great the whole time. Got about 14mpg at an average of 55mph.

Looking forward to joining the FJ family here. Had a number of old vehicles before and look forward to wrenching on this one.

Stephan Nelle

Very nice score. I hope you found a better route to Denton than the IH35 death corridor. IMO the paint looks cool just the way you found it. Was that on the Austin craigslist? If yes, I don't know how I missed seeing it. :hmm:

Props to you for driving it home. :cheers:

Welcome to the madness. :flipoff2:

Curious, how long did the train ride from Denton to Austin take?

Oh, congrats on the new purchase. Besides being a 40, the patina paint is what makes that rig cool :beer:

If the gf has a smile over this, she's a keeper. After u fix it up, she'll wanna drive it all the time and will probably make up excuses to do so. Start looking for 1 for u.

We went Austin to Taylor to Temple to Cleburne to Fort Worth. Drive was nice and fun on the backroads.

Train ride from the Fort Worth station to the San Marcus station took a little under 6 hours. Went to San Marcus, stayed with family that night and went to Austin the next morning. Bummer for Amtrak, freight trains take priority on the rails so we got to stop and let the big boys pass when they came around.

Yep, the FJ was on Austin Craigslist. I've been in contact with the seller for about a month. Now time to start fixing the broken/missing stuff.

Yep, fiancee is a keeper. She drove it last night, which was only her 2nd time to drive a manual trans. She did great and I'm afraid you're right; she's gonna take it over and I'll have to get my own.

wow nice 40, congrats!

And I love the paint like it is. Clear coat it, maybe...

welcome to MUD!

:beer:

Always nice to see a new cruiser show with its clothes (bezel) on right! Welcome!

Roll Tide. :)

another blue one :bounce:

X a gazillion on leaving the paint alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom