First Vehicle to work on - FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there some serious rust on the frame? Maybe I'm missing something, but just looks like surface rust where I'm looking!

Removing rust from the rubber strap pads you mean? Just scrape it off, or maybe soak in a light acid like vinegar perhaps?
What do you think? Im not sure. Im always worried about swiss inspections. No idea how tough they are but fun is pretty much forbidden.

Rust1.jpg

Rust2.jpg

Rust3.jpg

Rust4.jpg

You need to have it blasted before you know the full extent. That rear crossmember area is a classic spot to be the worst area. You may be surprised how good it all is once it’s all cleaned up.
I did sand blast my BJ42 (German truck) during the frame-off resto, 18 years ago. Happy since.
It is worth the trouble, I believe...

Today was a weird day. Working 2 hours with no progress. I wanted to pull out the transmission and the transfer case. Turns out the motor is sitting on the same mount. So when I lowered the transmission the motor lowered itself also. That's when I realized that the service manual and the video are not for my vehicle. Transmission sits on a mount and that's the only mount there is also for the motor. So that was a bit of a shock moment because I was pulling it back. I'm still weirded out that the bell housing screws are basically holding the back weight of the motor...

Draining the fluids I found some metal debris in the drain bolts. And the transfer case fluid was murky and dark. The transmission fluid was clear. But there is definitely some leakage there as it was dripping oil...

Well anyways I got some rivets a rivet counter tool and a air hammer. And I built a table to weld the parts on top. Next up I will strip the whole motor and then pull it out together with the transmission.

PXL_20240218_183232018.jpg

PXL_20240218_184148397.MP.jpg

PXL_20240214_180845273.jpg

PXL_20240214_180839060.jpg

Quick question. Do I need to drain the oil of the motor before pulling it out? And is a wooden support around the oilpan with wood enough to hold the motor? I'm not sure how strong this oilpan is.

You don't need to drain the oil out unless you plan to open it up.
Personally I avoid resting engines on the oil pan - that's not what it was designed for and likely to distort it.
Maybe you can bolt a piece of timber or angle iron onto the mounting points if you need it to sit freely?

Ive now pulled the motor. Pics coming soon. Built a simple rectangle of timber and it does stand on the sides of the pan/motor. Was quite tricky because i struggled to get it out. Next stop tranny removal and then i got to reasses the situation. My kid will soon be born so i think i run out of time. Lets hope not though.

While i removed the starter i saw some missing edges on these teeth. All of them show the same damage. Im not sure what the cause of this. Any tips? Because the fj doesn't have that many miles on it. Attached some images.

Starter.jpg

I think that is factory chamfer so it can easily engage in the ring gear which has a similar bevel.

Ive now pulled the motor. Pics coming soon. Built a simple rectangle of timber and it does stand on the sides of the pan/motor. Was quite tricky because i struggled to get it out. Next stop tranny removal and then i got to reasses the situation. My kid will soon be born so i think i run out of time. Lets hope not though.

While i removed the starter i saw some missing edges on these teeth. All of them show the same damage. Im not sure what the cause of this. Any tips? Because the fj doesn't have that many miles on it. Attached some images.

View attachment 3585099
Congrats on your soon to be born baby and on the removal of your motor too. :popcorn:

My kid will soon be born so i think i run out of time. Lets hope not though.
Congratulations on the impending arrival, but good luck with the running out of time part haha.
I got a lot done on mine before April last year when our second arrived. Since then, almost nothing.
Sleep v Truck.

Well due date is getting closer and i try to put much effort into it. But new work arises constantly :D Haha the frame itself now starts to be a point of discussion. I attached some images. The rear plate is rusted through, that back part of the frame is really thin. I had the plan to replace the back fender and the panels diagonally. Got all the parts already and wanted to use rivets. Now im not sure anymore what to do.

Plan was:
-Remove all parts which can be stripped, also the ones riveted except for the inner frame guides and the welded crossbar
-Weld parts to the frame to repair
-Rivet back all the new parts
-Galvanize
-Paint black

Now a friend who is also restoring cars came by and said the galvanizing could bend the frame and my frame looks to weak to withstand this procedure. Also he would use bolts instead of rivets. I thought rivets must be used since we cant get them on the road in Switzerland with bolts.

So im a bit shaky now on how to proceed. I will remove all parts still because the rust underneath these is a big issue for this car. I want to make it last as long as possible.

But im not sure how to go about it. Is this frame really that bad? I thought it was great. My eyes probably already let me see things as im in looove

Thin.jpg

Back part.jpg

NewPlates.jpg

photo_2024-04-24_11-13-44.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom