Builds Finally got my own...Meet BeBe (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking forwards to reports on how that paint shines up with a good buff. Looks like it’s a bit of a matte right now? How many coats did you do?

I thought painting was more involved than simply what you did... (not saying it was simple) just that I thought it went on and at some point was sanded and painted again? But what I understand from what you said is in a month you’ll just buff?
And the tape has to come off fairly soon too right or it will pull the layer off? What was the time frame when you started to pull?

You are talking about a 2 stage basecoat/clearcoat job where as I did a singlestage where the clear is actually part of the base color. Normally to get a really really tight and smooth job you prime, smooth/sand up to 600grit, then throw down your base coat, smooth/sand that to 800grit or 1000grit and then clear over that. Once the clear is dry that is when you cut and buff to 2k, 3k, etc. grit paper (cutting process) and then buff and polish.

For me I am planning to leave some orange peel to give a period correct effect. So I will just cut and buff once I have some time. But for me I think I am going to try and get the orange peel out without actually wetsanding. This means I will be getting a special orange peel pad for my DA polisher and using that.. We will see how it comes out.

Looking forwards to reports on how that paint shines up with a good buff. Looks like it’s a bit of a matte right now? How many coats did you do?
I think mainly right now it is just the dreary outside weather and a combination of the orange peel that needs to be handled giving it a bit of a matte finish.

Total number of coats over the entire vehicle was 3, 1 light/medium coat and 2 medium/wet coats. One Gallon of paint was enough to do the entire vehicle, I would have liked to throw down one more coat but whatever. I will grab more color in the spring and then throw down where I have some fixing to do.

Bright, sunshiny today for the most part (clouds rolling through in patches). See how the color changes to be a bit of a brighter blue/gray
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

And here is a pic to show the orange peel that I am talking about. Hood is probably the worst of it but that is kinda hard to get a good reflective pic of something. You can see my work shoes and the parking line in this pic. I was running the gun at about 30psi when spraying so I think that was part of my problem, could have tweaked for a little higher pressure and maybe less material.

Got a moment to play tonight...
Took 1500 grit to it for about 15 minutes wet sanding
Then took 2000 grit to it for about 15 minutes wet sanding
Then cut with Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound on the DA Polisher for another 15 or so minutes
Then polished/cleaned with Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner on the DA Polisher for about another 15 or so minutes...

So this is what the orange peel looked like at first...

And this is after all the above....

Not bad at all!!! This was just on the front portion of the hood. Was just kinda seeing what I could do, feeling out the DA and what everything felt like. Moderate pressure with both wet sanding and the DA. Still has a bit of orange peel to it but I would consider it more "period correct."

Got a moment to play tonight...
Took 1500 grit to it for about 15 minutes wet sanding
Then took 2000 grit to it for about 15 minutes wet sanding
Then cut with Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound on the DA Polisher for another 15 or so minutes
Then polished/cleaned with Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner on the DA Polisher for about another 15 or so minutes...

So this is what the orange peel looked like at first...

And this is after all the above....

Not bad at all!!! This was just on the front portion of the hood. Was just kinda seeing what I could do, feeling out the DA and what everything felt like. Moderate pressure with both wet sanding and the DA. Still has a bit of orange peel to it but I would consider it more "period correct."
looks great Greg. just a note on your above comment. If you're running 30PSI at the gun i'd suggest reducing the air pressure and slowing down your speed with the gun. that will give a better flow of the material on the panel.

@CenTXFJ60 So you are saying I should have dropped the PSI at the gun below 30 or at the tank? I know that I was moving pretty quick on some of the panels, hence the orange peel, as I was getting in a rush when the wind would kick up. Looks like most of it will clean up fairly easily though with a bit of elbow grease.

^^^ that's a K car....!!!
@CenTXFJ60 So you are saying I should have dropped the PSI at the gun below 30 or at the tank? I know that I was moving pretty quick on some of the panels, hence the orange peel, as I was getting in a rush when the wind would kick up. Looks like most of it will clean up fairly easily though with a bit of elbow grease.
It would be at the gun Greg. I keep my compressor around 90 and adjust the regulator on my gun to anywhere between 15-25ish PSI depending on what I’m shooting (single stage, base, clear or primer). Primer on my gun (separate gun) will be a bit higher on the PSI. Every gun is a bit different as well but the key is having a comfort level with the fan and seeing a consistent point where the paint starts to go it’s own direction. Speed is a hard thing to get down as well. Also, your dealing with the elements which can create some challenges as you mentioned. So I’m no expert and will be the first to say I do more work (cutting/buffing) after paint than I’d like to. So bottom line (as I tell my sons), do as I say and not as I do :). You’re always welcome to call if I can be of any help. I’ve made many many mistakes and continue to learn from them. Glad to share anytime. Thanks. Jimmy

Color me impressed!

It would be at the gun Greg. I keep my compressor around 90 and adjust the regulator on my gun to anywhere between 15-25ish PSI depending on what I’m shooting (single stage, base, clear or primer). Primer on my gun (separate gun) will be a bit higher on the PSI. Every gun is a bit different as well but the key is having a comfort level with the fan and seeing a consistent point where the paint starts to go it’s own direction. Speed is a hard thing to get down as well. Also, your dealing with the elements which can create some challenges as you mentioned. So I’m no expert and will be the first to say I do more work (cutting/buffing) after paint than I’d like to. So bottom line (as I tell my sons), do as I say and not as I do :). You’re always welcome to call if I can be of any help. I’ve made many many mistakes and continue to learn from them. Glad to share anytime. Thanks. Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy @CenTXFJ60 I appreciate it.. See when I was shooting, basically everything I had read/watched said that 30psi was about the sweet spot so to start there... I did play with it a bit and adjust the fan, material and psi but think just combating the wind, debris flying around and using a cheapo HF gun all contributed to the orange peel.

Good thing is that I knew I was going to have a decent amount of orange peel from the get go, and was not surprised with what I got. Actually I was more surprised with how some of the areas came out (hood and on door are the worst of it, not worrying about roof) looking much better and smoother than I had expected. I just was curious whether it would be something I could buff out with a compounding disc and ultra cut compound or if I would actually have to wet sand. Turns out that latter is the way I will end up having to go but not that bad as I really spent more time playing with setting and getting a feel last night than actually working on it. Figure a good day working on stuff should result in getting the "classic orange peel" I am looking for. Now to buy some sand paper!!

Man I wish this thread was available when I was painting my little Bantam Trailer. Its nice to see some of the details of painting laid out and in a timeline like this. Gives a great idea of the results that can be had based on the specific steps taken. Would have really helped me out. Very cool and looks great man.

Man I wish this thread was available when I was painting my little Bantam Trailer. Its nice to see some of the details of painting laid out and in a timeline like this. Gives a great idea of the results that can be had based on the specific steps taken. Would have really helped me out. Very cool and looks great man.
Glad it helped you. I am overly analytical so I need steps setup for myself prior to undertaking major tasks. I build the "routine" in my head then accomplish as best I can. Of course, if I were to do over again, I would create some sort of enclosure or do in my garage for the extra money. That bit of extra "help" from the wind and flying debris really would have been nice and would have helped slow me down some.

Found some spots that I will need to fix next spring. That damn rear passenger door was giving me fits for multiple reasons so I need to go back and fix those areas. Really REALLY wish there was an easier way to handle the quarter window gasket on those rear doors as well since that was one of the main problems with the door I was having (stupid tape did not want to stick to it for whatever reason over the door lip).

Anyways, all in a learning process. I have actually now had three neighbors that saw me doing all the prep work and painting come and ask me if I would be interested in doing their older vehicles. All have offered to pay me but I have declined. Was doing for my own benefit and being that I could not produce what I would call a "commission worthy" result I would not want to take on such a task.

Oh and just talked with JimC about my eBay carb. Should have it in a couple weeks max according to his clipboard schedule... someone on here got thrown under the bus for taking my spot because they felt special!! LOL
All good though, he apologized for the wait but no apology need as I am currently running with OG carb. No urgency behind it.

Thanks Jimmy @CenTXFJ60 I appreciate it.. See when I was shooting, basically everything I had read/watched said that 30psi was about the sweet spot so to start there... I did play with it a bit and adjust the fan, material and psi but think just combating the wind, debris flying around and using a cheapo HF gun all contributed to the orange peel.

Good thing is that I knew I was going to have a decent amount of orange peel from the get go, and was not surprised with what I got. Actually I was more surprised with how some of the areas came out (hood and on door are the worst of it, not worrying about roof) looking much better and smoother than I had expected. I just was curious whether it would be something I could buff out with a compounding disc and ultra cut compound or if I would actually have to wet sand. Turns out that latter is the way I will end up having to go but not that bad as I really spent more time playing with setting and getting a feel last night than actually working on it. Figure a good day working on stuff should result in getting the "classic orange peel" I am looking for. Now to buy some sand paper!!
You did awesome. When I painted my truck I did it in phases. Painted the tub with a $35 entry level gun. Experienced a lot of what you’ve described. Bought a commercial grade gun for the rest of the truck and the number of coats required to cover the primer (so you no longer see the primer through the paint) was cut in half. The arrow definitely helps the Indian in this game :). So I started cutting my tub with 800 grit and stopped at 12-1500. Then I did a 3 stage buff. With the new gun I can start at 1200 grit for the most part. Then on to buffing. I’ve since picked up another gun...just trying to get an opportunity to try it out.

You did awesome. When I painted my truck I did it in phases. Painted the tub with a $35 entry level gun. Experienced a lot of what you’ve described. Bought a commercial grade gun for the rest of the truck and the number of coats required to cover the primer (so you no longer see the primer through the paint) was cut in half. The arrow definitely helps the Indian in this game :). So I started cutting my tub with 800 grit and stopped at 12-1500. Then I did a 3 stage buff. With the new gun I can start at 1200 grit for the most part. Then on to buffing. I’ve since picked up another gun...just trying to get an opportunity to try it out.

Sounds like it is time for you to pick up another truck.... errr I mean SAVE another truck!! :)
Was the HF $9 gun worth it... meh, it did fine for my needs. Would it have been better to have spent the $40 to upgrade to their chrome and purple "professional" kit.. probably. But at that point, that money would have been better spent on creating myself a paint booth vs. the gun. Both would have been exceptional but if one is doing things on a budget like I was... well beggars cant be choosers.

So while I was gone BeBe got a new toy that I have been on the hunt for for some time. Just could never win one at a price that I was willing to pay. Well that was until last week .

Not in perfect shape but pretty good. Has some spidering in the lens, one crack and a chipped corner but more than anything the lens was just a bit dirty and pitted/stained from someone spraying something like Armor-All near it, splattering on it then never cleaning off.

Went @mwebfj60 route and took a bit of 2k grit paper and wet sanded it then will polish today with some glass/mirror finish restorer on a dremel.

NICE!

eager to see how that comes out.

I want to do the same to my gauge lenses.. with a bit of plastic polish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom