Eliminate the charcoal canister? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

itbrokeagain

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched and didnt find anything. I'm tired of the fuel tank pressure. My 80 spends 99% of the time offroad and emissions will never be an issue. Can I eliminate the charcoal canister and eliminate the pressurized tank issues

Last edited:
good question Mine pressurizes like a bastard. bought another CC from a mud member and its just as bad as the one I have already. SO I would love to safely remove for good.

get a new one from autozone. Theres a whole thread on it here somewhere. the part number is VC120 made by duralast.
I'm in 115 degree heat and spend more time off road than on and I'm not pressurized at all...

I guess I will do that for now. But if anybody has eliminated it I would love to hear

two things:
  1. The gas tank is designed to have some pressure in it, this raises the boiling point of the gas. If you vent the tank continuously the gas will be boiling in the summer.
  2. The charcoal canister is designed to capture highly flammable fuel vapor, eliminating this can and has caused rigs to burn to the ground. There was a 100 series that had a canister issue and started venting the tank straight to the atmosphere, Some sort of ignition source (could have been static) set it off and the rig burned to the ground.
I deleted mine for a while and just ran the tank vent to directly to the VSV. I would not recommend this as the tank pressure just pushed past the VSV and flooded the intake manifold with fuel vapor when the engine was off. It would push so much fuel vapor into the intake manifold that it would push back out through the air filter and into the snorkel. That meant that every time I went to start the rig it would have to clear out all of the vapor in the intake before the engine would fire up as it had no air to ignite all of the fuel. Think 15-20 seconds of cranking before the engine fires.

Last edited:
I recommend you keep the factory can and do landcruiserphils refill.

If you really want to remove it I read on here you can pull the three lines off the canister, lengthen and connect the gas tank line to the line that exited the bottom of the can. Put a fuel filter between those lines. Then you cap the vcv line from the engine.
Reports are that you’ll get a strong fuel smell which could be dangerous so it’s best to keep the charcoal canister if you can.

Just throwing this out there...but a new gas cap solved my pressurized tank and the odd smell of gasoline from the engine bay.

Seems that those things have a shelf life and should be changed anyhow - which is why they test them during emissions.

My canister was plugged. I removed it and installed an inline filter. Extended the vent down by the frame, under the drivers door. Fuel smell = YES, on occasion. Need a better vent location (maybe into the frame??) I still have all the bracketry and didn't cut or remove any of the hoses. Thinking I will find an Autozone one or similar one to reinstall some day.

I recommend you keep the factory can and do landcruiserphils refill.

If you really want to remove it I read on here you can pull the three lines off the canister, lengthen and connect the gas tank line to the line that exited the bottom of the can. Put a fuel filter between those lines. Then you cap the vcv line from the engine.
Reports are that you’ll get a strong fuel smell which could be dangerous so it’s best to keep the charcoal canister if you can.

100% good with this mod to date.
Like others have said without a charcoal filter you will get a lot of dangerous fumes in a confined area.:eek:🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆

I removed my clogged canister for a while however the fuel smell will drive you crazy. Replaced with the Autozone canister, no smell and no more pressurized fuel tank. Wish I did the Autozone unit sooner.

From another thread, has third line hookup as well

919C3B66-D893-415F-B0D9-ED49DFA99068.jpeg

Why can't I cap the charcoal canister off and use a roll over valve to vent the tank? How would that be any different than a buggy fuel cell?

You can, its just dangerous as you are venting highly combustible fuel vapor to the atmosphere directly around your vehicle. This has resulted in vehicle fires, there are threads on mud detailing a 100 series that burned to the ground while in the back country because of this.

Dont want that but i also dont like the fuel that sprays out of the tank. Guess I'm looking up the one that was just posted

The Autozone canister was only $48 when I bought it online in January. I originally planned to rebuild the OEM canister but didn't have time so I went this route. I still have the OEM unit in the garage, maybe I'll rebuild it someday or wait a few years and sell it.

Dont want that but i also dont like the fuel that sprays out of the tank. Guess I'm looking up the one that was just posted

The long term issue is a cracked fuel tank from excessive pressure. I was worried about that so I vented mine without the canister for a while but the fumes were unbearable (and dangerous).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom