Eliminate the charcoal canister? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Apparently the Toyota guys bought out autozone. No longer available

It’s showing available for me at $47.99

I had mine vented without the canister and I was curious how much vapor it was pushing out so I put a 30' tube on it and lit the end (like when you see a oil rig burning off the gasses). The flame was about 1.5-2' tall and continuous, it was an interesting and eye-opening experiment.

Made me think how much that impacts my fuel mileage... :confused:

I had mine vented without the canister and I was curious how much vapor it was pushing out so I put a 30' tube on it and lit the end (like when you see a oil rig burning off the gasses). The flame was about 1.5-2' tall and continuous, it was an interesting and eye-opening experiment.

Made me think how much that impacts my fuel mileage... :confused:

Video or it didn't happen. :)

The Autozone canister was only $48 when I bought it online in January. I originally planned to rebuild the OEM canister but didn't have time so I went this route. I still have the OEM unit in the garage, maybe I'll rebuild it someday or wait a few years and sell it.

View attachment 1960198
I will try again. I went to the store and he told me no longer available

you can order online for instore pick-up. Most of the people at the autozone stores have no idea what they are doing, I've quite literally gotten behind the counter and used their system to find my parts before.

Order online and it will ship to your house. No need to waste time in the store.

I’m curious how long the autozone canister will last... def eliminated the hissing noise. Been running just shy of a year now.

I’m curious how long the autozone canister will last... def eliminated the hissing noise. Been running just shy of a year now.

I have the same question. Had the 120 canisters for 4-5 years now, still no pressure at the tank but I'm starting to smell a little bit of gas fume. Think I'll replace it as PM.

This seems like one of those things that might be worth grabbing another one as long as they are available. I gotta think a significant number of these are not going into Pontiacs but rather our 80s.

I just ordered the VC120 this weekend and it delivered yesterday. I installed it today. It is definitely still available and cheaper than it was in years past ($49 delivered).

Easy to install and worked great. I do not know if it solved my issue or not yet, as I only drive the truck once a week or so.

Dorman has a new product suggestion form; if enough people let them know that there's no direct aftermarket replacement vapor canister (and none available from Toyota) maybe Dorman will start making one??

And/or call this number: 1-866-933-2911

I don't know if both these parts are interchangeable or if
one supercedes the other (the form asks for a part number):

77740-60310 93-94
77740-60350 95-97

In reading this thread all canister go bad in time. With that said I have not seen a factory canister that cant be rebuilt.

I would be interested in getting a few considered bad canisters. Let me know if you have one you are done with.

Phil I've found that the factory Toyota charcoal canister can be easily rebuilt, i did mine. The inside of the canister is filled with nothing more then charcoal that you can get from any local fish store for about 12 bucks.

There is also a round paper filter inside the canister that can be replaced too, you can make a replacement for it out of a paper coffee maker filter. I just cut the seam off of my canister that holds it's top in place on an engine lathe.

I Popped the top off of my canister, Dumped out the old charcoal and paper filter, replaced both, put the cap back on, reinstalled the canister back in my truck.

The cap is a press fit back in to the body of the canister, you can glue it back in place, but i made a band clamp to hold mine in place, that way i can replace the charcoal in my canister anytime it needs it.

I did the VC120 GM Canister mod and swapped my filler cap. Seemed to fix the pressure I was getting in my 92. It's a wee bit bigger but it fits in the stock location with little rigging. FWIW

Did anyone else get enough pressure to squirt fuel out of the filler when you took the cap off?
I did the VC120 GM Canister mod and swapped my filler cap. Seemed to fix the pressure I was getting in my 92. It's a wee bit bigger but it fits in the stock location with little rigging. FWIW

I have had that issue before and it is a sure fire sign that you need to address the charcoal canister.

Did anyone else get enough pressure to squirt fuel out of the filler when you took the cap off?
Mine sprays gas when I drive above 9000 feet in the summer. I need to do this. Do these AutoZone canisters also fit the 91 to 93 fj80's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom