Early fj steering wheel restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m finishing a batch this week if your wheel needs work, call/text and Leave a message if I don’t answer. Here’s the latest.

2CF2D5D2-315F-4519-A822-DACBBCA122AE.jpeg

0E7CB635-0A92-4EF0-A830-68208F2421A4.jpeg

Just finished a batch for a customer, I’ll have two or three finished this week if anyone is interested.

BE7F9E9A-A12F-45D5-A5D6-4D2B7D345E85.jpeg

ive been using fusar glue for gluing body panels for my steering wheels seems to hold up in all tempatures

ive been using fusar glue for gluing body panels for my steering wheels seems to hold up in all tempatures
Can you send a pic of it and how you use it?

Is this it?

Is this it?

thats it and its made in sagertown pa by the lord co dont get sticker shock its not cheap but its good .we also use it on vehicle repairs .not pros just our own stuff and it works great fastest way i know to do rockers or panel repair

thats it and its made in sagertown pa by the lord co dont get sticker shock its not cheap but its good .we also use it on vehicle repairs .not pros just our own stuff and it works great fastest way i know to do rockers or panel repair
I’ll order the smallest amount I can and mess around w/ it , thank you.

Guys, I am severely injured right now and have been for a while, if you need help repairing your steering wheel feel free to call. I’ve had to put my FJ on hold and I’ve been looking forward to driving it. Any help I can give, I will. Always feel free to call.

jimmy (Birdhead)

My son is building an area in the garage where I can work sitting, I will let you all know when I get back to it. Staying busy helps w/ pain so hopefully I can get back to steering wheels soon.

EDIT: Answering my own question: Do NOT use SEM Sand Free plastic adhesion promoter on FJ40 steering wheels. It is not ABS- or PVC-type plastic. If you feel you need a plastic adhesion promoter, you might be able to use SEM Plastic Adhesion Promoter or XXX Adhesion Promoter - though I have not tested either yet. The specs seem to indicate that you can use either Sand Free OR the other two just mentioned, and there are no exceptions, but that is my assumption from reading their tech notes Linked below.
---- END OF EDIT ----

Anyone know what type plastic the steering wheel is on a late model 40? The steering wheel that appears on a ‘75 or later model?

I spoke to Birdhead and he said to use the SEM trim black paint. The tech sheet at the SEM website says to use a plastic promoter depending on the type of plastic. I don’t think birdhead used any but I thought I might just in case. If anyone knows the plastic type, speak up!

Tech sheet: https://manage.semproducts.com/public/content/techsheets/TDS_trim_black.pdf
User friendly instructions with ALMOST the same info, but says to use acetone to test the plastic: 4 Easy Steps to Refinishing Interior Plastic | SEM PRODUCTS - https://www.semproducts.com/blog/4-easy-steps-to-refinishing-interior-plastic

Otherwise I guess I’ll just buy both and test to see which one works as it describes in the tech sheet instructions.

What the hell it’s only money. This is in FJ40 so nothing is ever cheap.

Last edited:
If you have a cracked 72 and earlier steering wheel and want it restored, I'm on my 4th now my avitar is my second one. You pay shipping both ways and I'll have it done in two weeks. I would like to do two more and I think I will have it mastered. So if you want me to restore yours just get in touch. I use PC-7 epoxy to repair the cracks it tolerates heat & cold (expansion & contraction) best and hours of sanding with up to 2500 grit paper. If you want more pics of my work contact me.
James in Oklahoma
Very interested. Do you have horn assembly/button available?

Here is what else I'll say about doing your own steering wheel refinishing and doing a proper job: After adding up all the products that Jimmy uses to do the job right, I'm at about $275. Plus I've spent 6-8 hours already, over 5 days since the epoxy takes a full 24-48 hours to dry, just epoxying and sanding to *get ready* to begin to prime, paint, and clear coat.

If you are like me and just want the experience, then go for it. But if you want to save time and money, getting a steering wheel finished by @Birdhead is definitely worth his expertise.

Now if he can just get his back well enough that he can work again.... We are praying over you Jimmy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom