Exactly right @Spike Strip - I'm hoping that if the washer doesn't fix the issue that the factory c-clip does.
Hey
@cruiseroutfit just a bit of tech for you regarding the drum brake rebuild hardware kit you sell. No complaints here -I have been and will continue to be a satisfied customer - but this is drilling down on one of your products (other retailers sell similar ones too) and looking at it under the metaphorical microscope. The brake hardware kit has one potentially incorrect part that seems to cause the over adjusting issue. I'm currently testing one of two possible fixes and will follow up on results, but somebody linked an older thread on the topic where the problem is solved via the two fixes. Just thought you'd like to be part of the conversation since I used your product and because you seem to like the occasional geek-out over tweaky tech stuff!
To boil it down: the clip that comes in the hardware kit that holds the adjusting lever in place seems to be wrong. Toyota used a different style clip that holds the lever a little tighter. I'm still running the potentially incorrect clip but using a flat washer behind the lever to tighten things up. Otherwise the original clip is still an active part from Toyota, and installing that should also be a way to take up the excess play in the lever and tighten things up. Once the excess play is gone,, the lever should stop adjusting the star wheel at the appropriate point.