Does a Snorkel Drop the Resale Value of an FJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To me a snorkel looks dumb on any vehicle unless it is up to it's door handles in water.
I wouldn't give much for a vehicle with a snorkel because there is a good chance that it has been up to it's door handles in water.

Then you do not want be buying a rig from me or ANYONE who hits the trail with me (Including all of the folks that have participated in the Alaska Cruiser Trek since 2001... Door handle deep in water is pretty routine.

Mark...

if your snorkel is flamingo or swan-like it could help with resale value

21C1A62C-AB1F-4056-9E76-19E2D3BBC336.jpeg

Last edited:
Years back my buddy dropped his 40 into a deep hole that surprised him and he hydro-destroyed his new engine, while it is adviseable to check every water hole when you are wheeling, stuff happens. I like a snorkle. If you havent waterproofed your dizzy big deal, you can dry it out but its hard to dry a rod out the side of your block.

Years back my buddy dropped his 40 into a deep hole that surprised him and he hydro-destroyed his new engine, while it is adviseable to check every water hole when you are wheeling, stuff happens. I like a snorkle. If you havent waterproofed your dizzy big deal, you can dry it out but its hard to dry a rod out the side of your block.

I remember years ago being at the Verde river east of Phoenix when it was running high with spring runoff. Trail along the bank was flooded in sections. A few quads came along and we're told where the shallow route was in the water. One rider was afraid and hugged the bank and dropped into a hole and sucked water in the intake and destroyed the engine. Even in AZ we have some river crossings depending on the season can fool you and become very costly.

Yep, I lived in Tucson my senior year of high school, a long time ago, and like a dumb kid I used to take my 69 fj40 in the washes when they were flowing, very stupid and I am really lucky I was unscathed by that (among other things). There can be a lot of water in the desert. 40 series can handle water almost over the front fenders if you have a wake going but if something goes wrong, boy howdy. Everyone who wheels should vent their axles and transfercase higher, otherwise you will be making milkshakes, I never have had electrical issues, knock on wood, but I just don't want to swallow a bunch of water if it can be easily avoided, and I don't want to have to turn around if there is a water crossing, which might not be a daily thing, but neither is using a winch and I have that too. Why not have what you need

Then you do not want be buying a rig from me or ANYONE who hits the trail with me (Including all of the folks that have participated in the Alaska Cruiser Trek since 2001... Door handle deep in water is pretty routine.

Mark...

Screw all the other reasons, I want a snorkel just so I can attend an Alaska Cruiser Trek...

That being said, in the Middle East snorkels made a big difference in keeping the filter clean.

I do believe @wngrog has a photo somewhere around here comparing air filters with/without snorkels.

If you like the look of a snorkel, put a snorkel on your rig. Personally, I'm getting towards the end of a massive $$$ resto on my '77 and the brand new snorkel is getting close to being put on it. I like them. I had one on my Tacoma for a number of years and occasionally someone would bust my stones for it. They didn't after Hurricane Harvey hit Houston and I was the only one who could get to and from the grocery store for a week.

Screw all the other reasons, I want a snorkel just so I can attend an Alaska Cruiser Trek...

That being said, in the Middle East snorkels made a big difference in keeping the filter clean.

I do believe @wngrog has a photo somewhere around here comparing air filters with/without snorkels.

The cyclonic filter assembly in the '80s catches a bit of dust/dirt/debris over time. Even in road rigs. It is surprising how much that sump will have in it when the owners do not know it is there and never clean it. I would expect that one of the Donaldson cyclonic prefilter (or anything similar) would do an even better job. But I don't see much difference in the normal straight airflow snorklels that 99% of the US rigs use.

We get some nasty dust storms in some of the glacial valleys sometimes and while it is not desert we do have some significant dust to deal with seasonally. I've never noticed any difference *in my environment* between the snorkeled and non-snorkeled rigs.

I have actually had to deal with a couple rigs over the years that consistently came in running poorly. I learned to check the air filter first. The guys that owned them acted like kids and apparently drove through every cement grey silt laden mud puddle as fast as they could just to splash. Their forward facing unsheltered snorkel openings sucked the muddy water in nicely. The silt would dry and clog the filter like rock. Never seen that except for those two guys though.

Mark...

I'd put a snorkel on pretty well any vehicle I owned that I could buy a snorkel for - once bitten twice shy. A small puddle caused 2 bent conrods on my ranger, naturally Ford weren't interested and 18.5 grand later she drives again. IMHO if your vehicle may get driven anywhere other than a road, it's very cheap insurance and personally I like how they look on a 40

I'm slowly finishing a frame off resto on my '77 and bought two extra aprons to strip and paint to allow for the install of a snorkel. I don't plan to sell but can easily be converted back to original without any issues. Good luck in your decision.

As far as crossing water yeah a snorkel is great. One thing to remember if you need a snorkel in water is to ask yourself if you have taken the same effort to protect your diff breathers, transmission and transfer case breathers, ignition system, electrical wiring and exhaust with the same effort you put into getting air into the engine with the snorkel. I bet very few people have ever thought about that issue of water crossings.
As far as dirt and dust they are much more useful there than anyone wants to admit. Having run farm machinery and military vehicles in dirt/dust ( and some fording) the snorkel removes the air source from under the hood to above the roof line where much cleaner air can be found to draw from. If you are operating in that environment the snorkel is very VERY useful and can greatly extend your PM intervals.
Please note I said extended, it won't keep it clean like you use it as a commuter car but it will make the time between cleanings or filter replacement longer.

As far as crossing water yeah a snorkel is great. One thing to remember if you need a snorkel in water is to ask yourself if you have taken the same effort to protect your diff breathers, transmission and transfer case breathers, ignition system, electrical wiring and exhaust with the same effort you put into getting air into the engine with the snorkel. I bet very few people have ever thought about that issue of water crossings.
As far as dirt and dust they are much more useful there than anyone wants to admit. Having run farm machinery and military vehicles in dirt/dust ( and some fording) the snorkel removes the air source from under the hood to above the roof line where much cleaner air can be found to draw from. If you are operating in that environment the snorkel is very VERY useful and can greatly extend your PM intervals.
Please note I said extended, it won't keep it clean like you use it as a commuter car but it will make the time between cleanings or filter replacement longer.

I remember old military jeeps also extended the exhaust as part of the kit. Guessing this is because if the engine stalled while crossing water flood the engine coming in that way.

I'm not a dorkel fan either. If I was buying a 40, I would be looking for ones with no dorkels installed.

I say do what you want and to hell with what everyone says, it is YOUR vehicle after all. That being said if you do decide to put one on post some pictures!

Personally, I don’t see a resale hit... as others have said, replacing an apron is not killer, in effort or price. I imagine, every sale that might fall through is offset by a buyer who lusts for the benefits of a snorkel, purely aesthetics or otherwise.

The tracks I travel are fraught with carb contaminants... dust, dirt, sage blooms, cheatgrass seed/hulls, insects, Ravens, Hawks, Golden Eagles, an occasional stream or puddle, etc.

I’m a yuge fan of 44’s snorkel... and it’s an ebay-sold, Jina-produced piece of nothingness.

I love the look, I love sucking clean(er) air, from above the fray. When it’s 110 outside, it’s not likely the air three feet higher up is significantly cooler... but, it sure looks cooler.

I’m also ready for the Great Basin to begin refilling... as long as it takes more than a few years to reach a depth of three feet or so, I’ll be ok.

Pre-snorkel, I had to change (or, at least blow out) my air filter after every trip. Sagebrush, cheatgrass, insects, dust, Area 51 byproducts... all clog air filters.

Post-snorkel, I remove the ram (one screw) drop one of my nylons down the tube, roll the top over the rim and replace the ram. I periodically remove the ram, replace the nylon, with a clean one, replace the ram and rinse out my unmentionable. I haven’t had to buy a new air filter since I installed the snorkel... wearing nylons has paid for it and 44 looks really sexy in fishnets!!

BTW I found a perfect precleaner, but found the nylons work just as well... also, you need to remember to rotate the ram 180*, in a rain storm... I’ve encountered rain a couple of times.

I installed my snorkel forward of my carb cooling fan.

If you don’t like/want a snorkel, I won’t come looking for you... but, don’t hate me for my snorkel fetish.😉

Here’s 44 in her natural environment... sure sexy with that snorkel!!

9F26004F-AF6B-4DD2-B8B6-DD65DD3D688C.jpeg

Last edited:
I like snorkels...

snorkle.jpg

Like @1MOA and @Solace in Solitude, I like the look of a snorkel as well and to add to the the transmission and axle vents discussion, I have machined three vents for those locations with extended vents (about an inch) and purchased the ARB vent kit to run the tubes to the top of the firewall. Photos will be posted in my build thread when I get my thoughts together. I also like Danny's idea of a nylon pre-filter for the snorkel.

Last edited:
Having a career on the Abrams tank system I'll suggest you never stop moving once you're submerged and you'll find leaks everywhere and if you do it enough you'll regret it. Ed
a-left-side-view-of-a-marine-m1a1-main-battle-tank-almost-completely-submerged-fc2816.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom