Do 40s have a center diff lock? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only if it has an 80 or 100 series drive train swapped in.

So would that make 80s and 100s better off-road?

It all depends on what kind of off-road you are talking about. No one vehicle is the 'best' off-road vehicle.

It all depends on what kind of off-road you are talking about. No one vehicle is the 'best' off-road vehicle.
Exactly.
what do you want to do with the truck? If your going to stuff a family in then the 40nwould usually be the last choice. But if you need to be able to fix it anywhere anttime it would be my first choice- I'm into simple. If you have to use the highway and want to hold a conversation then...wheelbase vs terrain. Etc

Pete

Exactly.
what do you want to do with the truck? If your going to stuff a family in then the 40nwould usually be the last choice. But if you need to be able to fix it anywhere anttime it would be my first choice- I'm into simple. If you have to use the highway and want to hold a conversation then...wheelbase vs terrain. Etc

Pete

I have a 40, 62, and 80. I always figured the 40 would be best for mudding and trails and driving through water, but ever since I started doing research on the diff locks it would make sense to me that the 80 with a center diff lock would be most capable for these activities. Although I used to do some outrageously stupid stuff in my 40 without ever getting stuck.

I would say that the 40 with stock transfer case is always going to be locked; no differentiating between the front the rear output, like there would be with a 80/100 series. In my opinion the vicous coupling is more for better street drivability in an all wheel drive vehicle.

Viscous couplers are modern day trouble makers.

A Viscous Coupler is basically a third differential that is located in the transfer case. Your 40 is always 100% locked as there is no center differential. I think you are getting diff locks and a center diff lock confused. Locking diffs are availible for a 40. ARB, 80 series e-lockers, etc.

Dyno

You can always put in a rear or front locker in a 40.

Jeep Grand Cherokee has one of them there viscous couplers. I know because some years back a buddy had a Cherokee that started acting very weird when turning slowly into a parking space. Like it was in 4x4 and the wheels were fighting each other. It would jerk and jump. He calls Jeep. Diagnosis, bad viscous coupler, something they consider a 'wear item'. Wanted something like $1500 or more to repair it. We found him an aftermarket coupler online (still a few hundred bucks) and did the work ourselves. Not too bad to replace, but was some work. Just this round can that was in the transfer case. Anyway, he got rid of the piece of junk Cherokee but we learned all about the viscous coupler and expect it to wear out.

And remember, 4x4 is just a vehicle that allows you to get stuck where a wrecker can't get to.

It has a center diff lock that can not be unlocked.

36231-60021.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom