Diffrences in 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everybody,
Upon searching this and other Forums, Google etc. for hours i still couldnt find any clear Infos on what are the diffrences in 80 series Land Cruisers (Years, engine, Transmission ....) so i searched for brochures and only found dead links.

So my Question, is there anywhere were i can find clear information on the diffrences of 80 series Land Cruisers.
For instance:

×Engine:
-all engines and what the basic setup is (like ohc dohc 12 vt 24vt, materials used etc.)
-What has Changed over the years on the same engine (like diffrent bore, diffrent fuel Pump, washers, valves etc.)
-added electronics over the years like MAF, electronic throtlle body etc.
#And what is considered the best one for what reason

×Transmission:
-What are the diffrences between them
-what has changed over the years on the same branded transmissions
#Which is considered the best most reliable

×Other Drivetrain etc:
-were their diffrent transfer cases put in diffrent 80 series etc
-diffrent diffs with diffrent gearing (and at what year/model)
-Diffrent Driveshafts
-Bearings
-propeller shaft
-Hubs
-Axles
#Which Year/Model consider best

×Brakes | Power steering:
-is their only one setup one all 80's
-if not what are the diffrences (brake piston size etc.)

×Continents/Countrys
-What are the diffrences between South American, European, South African, Australian, Japan Models

×Model and Trim:
-what is the diffrences between an HDJ80 and FZJ80 or 81 etc. Or does this only stand for fz and hd powered land cruisers
-What are the diffrent trims like VX or GXL etc. and what are the diffrences and when was something added to a trim

×Body/Chassis:
-Were their any change in Chassis or diffrent material, coatings used

×Features:
-Were their any other features added over time other than airbags and abs on the later models as far as i know
-When and which model were Fitted with lockers
-Which cars (year/model/country/trim?) got part time 4wd and Full time 4wd

This is just what is in my head right know, but maybe you know of something i didnt mentioned/asked, like model year xx-xx fenders rust, year/model xx head trim loosens up, year xx water pump/steering rack/fan etc.. is know to failure.

I hope you get the idea on what kind of information im looking for.

Would be thankful for any Reply/Help and Maybe this could get a good threat if the right info is there, since i couldnt find extensive info on this page, and could think anybody who wants to buy an 80 is looking for some kind of infos on what are the diffrences on 80's. But if i cant use or overseen something on this forum would be happy for any links.

Sorry for the bad english, greetings from Germany.

Welcome to the forum! That is quite the question as there are numerous configuration options that vary by year and location. I haven't added it up but there are hundreds of possible combinations, however in some places such as the USA we only had a few options to choose from.

Welcome to the forum! That is quite the question as there are numerous configuration options that vary by year and location. I haven't added it up but there are hundreds of possible combinations, however in some places such as the USA we only had a few options to choose from.

Hey thanks, yeah i hoped to find this information somewhere, but searched the whole web and couldnt find any clear information.
It would be very helpful if somebody even know one of the topics mentioned above and yeah there are many configurations but only a hand full motors, transmission, trim lines etc. So its not that out of control

I have all of your answers but it would be a dissertation.

I would like to hear it, this could be a good pined thread if all of the information was there (or just make a new own pinned thread), but you also must have found that information somewhere, i wouldnt have a problem reading thru multiple dissertations, if you got any helpful links

Not comprehensive but a start

There is a collectors thread, and 40 anny thread, and differences between 93-97 by @ChaseTruck as well. All the info is here.

The faq is the best place to start. Post three has a few links including the Slee buyers guide posted above.

wiki has some good info:

I can tell you a bit from the ones that came over here
VX, all turbo diesel can be auto or manual, all with three rows
GX only diesel non turbo, with or without three rows, mostly manual
VX is able to get dual fuel tanks and dual AC's with or without fridge (mine has dual AC's, no fridge with dual fuel tanks)
Leather seats only on VX, but VX may have cloth seats also (mine does) Also sunroof only VX
No GXL this way
sigle AC is the PA-15 the dual AC's has the PA-17
Oh, also NO LC this part came with speakers on the front doors, they have speakers on the dash that are like 4 inches or so
Also, no LC has those speakers on the roof at the back like yours do
HDJ80L means 1HD-T engine and HZJ80L means 1HZ engine...I believe the L is for left hand drive, I am yet to see an 81 here
No lockers on any that came to this market, some have been brought over
For reference my firewall plaque

tag.jpg

Thank both of you guys, i found out yesterday from the faq that 81 stands for the japan models

I can tell you a bit from the ones that came over here
VX, all turbo diesel can be auto or manual, all with three rows
GX only diesel non turbo, with or without three rows, mostly manual
VX is able to get dual fuel tanks and dual AC's with or without fridge (mine has dual AC's, no fridge with dual fuel tanks)
Leather seats only on VX, but VX may have cloth seats also (mine does) Also sunroof only VX
No GXL this way
sigle AC is the PA-15 the dual AC's has the PA-17
Oh, also NO LC this part came with speakers on the front doors, they have speakers on the dash that are like 4 inches or so
Also, no LC has those speakers on the roof at the back like yours do
HDJ80L means 1HD-T engine and HZJ80L means 1HZ engine...I believe the L is for left hand drive, I am yet to see an 81 here
No lockers on any that came to this market, some have been brought over
For reference my firewall plaque

View attachment 2386928
Kinda makes me want to move to Panama

I have all of your answers but it would be a dissertation and you aren’t paying me enough to write it. :lol:
No kidding. Throw into the mix, gray market 80's imported into Germania, former UN, NATO, Humanitarian vehicles, Eastern Bloc vehicles.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom