Diesel swap to FJ62? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've looked at all the info until my head is spinning, so sorry if this is redundant.
I want to put a diesel into my 88 fj62 and keep the auto tranny for now. What is the rank of engines as far as simplicity if cost is not a concern. I like the idea of the 1 HD-T. Thanks.

Will it bolt right up or will I need adapters? Don't know much about diesels at all. Looking for better mpg and hopefully a little more power than the 3fe.

Thanks

kappalpha said:
Will it bolt right up or will I need adapters? Don't know much about diesels at all. Looking for better mpg and hopefully a little more power than the 3fe.

Thanks

It should bolt right up. I know of others who have relplaced the 3F with a 12HT into a FJ75.
They had some minor dramas with the smaller 75 engine bay but that wont affect a 62.
You will need the diesel radiator,tach and sender that I can think of.
This IS an engine bay pic of a 61 series. It looks a little "busy" under there but thats the rear aircon and power clutch that add to the mayhem.:D

mmm... I suppose you will improve the economy by 3-5mpg. Similar HP with oodles more torque:cool:
12HT pics 005 (Small).jpg
12HT pics 006 (Small).jpg

kappalpha said:
I've looked at all the info until my head is spinning, so sorry if this is redundant.
I want to put a diesel into my 88 fj62 and keep the auto tranny for now. What is the rank of engines as far as simplicity if cost is not a concern. I like the idea of the 1 HD-T. Thanks.

If you want to maintain your current transmission, then your simplist install wll be a 12HT. I question if the valving is the same between the FJ62 A440 and 12HT A440. EPC shows different part numbers for the front and rear valve body assemblies. If this means they are set up to different pressures, or shift points I have no idea. Your A440 will bolt on, and work, I've no doubt. Until this is answered with certainty, I recommend maintaining the tranny with the engine (model) it came it. If you want to forge out on your own you might want to try it and see...Or perhaps Rodeny from Wholesale Automatics in Oz might know that answer. EDIT. Torque Converters are different numbers too, but again I've no idea if this means different specs in build.

If you want an HD-T you will have to deal with the auto transmission, and t-case issues, or bolt a 1HZ bellhousing/H55F behind it. There is questions as to injection pumps between auto and manual 1HD-T's. 1HD-T/H55F's are starting to float around North America...

But if you want simple, bullet proof, all mechanical and as close a bolt in as possible for your FJ60 or 62...12HT is a great option. We stock everything to convert it to 12V, except the glow screen...which will work with 12V's thrown at it, just takes a little longer to glow.

hth's

gb

Last edited:
like this............
DSC00001.JPG

So the 12ht into the 62 does require new engine mounts right?

zander said:
So the 12ht into the 62 does require new engine mounts right?

from F to H family engines .. yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom