FJ40 13BT/1KZ-TE Diesel Swap Options and Sources (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtSniffer

Professional dirt sniffer, rock licker
SILVER Star
Threads
My change in build direction has me seriously considering an import Toyota diesel over the 2F, and I am having a tough time deciding on the ideal option and where to source. I am mainly looking at 13BT/14BT/15BT or a 1KZ-TE. My 40 will be stretched ~1' and linked front and rear using 80 series axles on ~37s. So drivetrain length isn't a big concern. Planning on transfer case doubler. I am leaning towards a manual, but am open to an auto, which may be a better choice for technical driving and may negate the need for a doubler.

Landcruiser Heaven has a listing for sourcing a 13bt with your choice of a442 automatic ($6,000) or H55F transmission ($7,000), presumably imported from Columbia. LCH seems to have mixed reviews for customer service, seemingly mostly related to supply chain issues getting items shipped from Columbia, which is understandable. Anyone have any experience buying an imported engine from LCH? any other reputable sources for 13/14/15BTs? 13BT seems to be getting tougher to source parts for, but it came in the 70 series set up with the A442/H55F and split case from factory. I also haven't found a good source for the 14BT/15BTs, which would require me to source a trans & Tcase.
This option would allow me to use the Northwest Fab BlackBox and 4:1 transfer case gears, which along with the H55F would make for a great range of gearing.

1KZ-TEs seem to be available from a number of sources ranging from ~$3500-$4500 (such as THIS) with either an R151F manual or A340F auto (From what I can tell). With the manual, I would be limited to the marlin RF1A doubler, which uses a centered rear output. My 80 axle is offset. This issue could be solved by using a RuffStuff or Diamond centered rear housing and transfer the parts over, and using custom shafts (would be getting upgraded shafts anyways). The auto could also use the RF1A doubler, but I believe I could also adapt to an a343f tailhousing and use an HF1A from an early 80 and 3:1 tcase gears. From what I can tell, the NWF BB should in theory work between the A343F and HF1A, if desired, as the HF1A came on the A442F and is known to direct swap to an A343F.

13BT
Pros: Factory LC trans/tcase, mechanical injection, easy to set up doubler, maintains driver side drop rear output
Cons: Parts more difficult to source, higher mileage and more questionable maintenance history

1KZ-TE
Pros: Cheaper and easier to source, newer, better parts availability, usually pretty low mileage JDM engines
Cons: Electronic injection, requires centering rear diff and marlin doubler if manual which makes cost about even with 13BT and extra work, but no need to deal with BB cooling issues. Potential head/cooling issues.

The 3B is another option, but the cost to turbo puts it well over a 13BT, which is essentially a factory turbo'd 3B with improvements for the turbo. Parts are also about as hard to source. So I am not considering it too seriously.

What would you choose? Any other options I should be considering? Any well known importers/sources I should check with? Not finding much for the 13/14/15BTs.

I am still learning diesels, so any advice on what to look out for/ parts to make sure are included when importing is appreciated.

Other options?

1PZ, 1HZ, 1HD-T.

I'd go with those for a cruiser all day over the options you listed here.

Dan
1PZ is a bit of an oddity. 1HD would be the dream, but much more expensive to the point In wouldn't bother going diesel. May look into the 1HZs.

I would go towards a direct injection diesel such as 13,14,15B-## rather than an IDI engine.

Alibaba seems to have a bunch of 15BFTs for sale sourced from China for $1500--$4000, most with videos of the engines running. Here's one. I assume these are still Hino made engines, somewhat concerned about how well they would have been taken care of. But very tempting.

Shipping cost?

I’d be all over the 15bf from AlbertoSD before anything from alibaba. I’ve never driven a 15bf but on paper it should be a chunk better than the 13bt in terms of power.

The 13bt is great, but it’s older and some parts only exist used (head, block, crank, cam)

I rebuilt my 13bt a few years ago and was available to find all the parts I needed, plus pistons for a rebuild. Hoping for many many years of great service.

I wouldn’t touch a 3B or 3Bt if I was building a new rig.
Also know if you are going with any B series engine and h55F, you have to find a B series h55f or B series input shaft. That input shaft doesn’t exist new, and is very hard to find used, trust me. There are options of getting around that with a different h55f/spacer just fyi.

I’d be all over the 15bf from AlbertoSD before anything from alibaba. I’ve never driven a 15bf but on paper it should be a chunk better than the 13bt in terms of power.

The 13bt is great, but it’s older and some parts only exist used (head, block, crank, cam)

I rebuilt my 13bt a few years ago and was available to find all the parts I needed, plus pistons for a rebuild. Hoping for many many years of great service.

I wouldn’t touch a 3B or 3Bt if I was building a new rig.
Also know if you are going with any B series engine and h55F, you have to find a B series h55f or B series input shaft. That input shaft doesn’t exist new, and is very hard to find used, trust me. There are options of getting around that with a different h55f/spacer just fyi.
Yes I am aware of the input shaft difference, which was one reason I am attracted to the complete 13BT setup as I have neither an h55f nor the b engine input shaft. Hadn't heard of the spacer option before, I'll look into that thanks.

Just in the information gathering phase right now, I am probably 4-5 months out from wanting to order anything. The Alibaba sourced engines are half the price of AlbertoSD, and his are sourced from Hong Kong like a number of the Alibaba engines. Maybe from one of the same suppliers.

H55F with B input shaft is still available brand new. Spendy ($4000), but an option. Would need to source a 3b/13bt Bell housing, still. Cruiserparts sells a 3b conversion and say they can source used 5 speeds in the Listing. So they may be able to source Bell housing and used H55F for me separately, one would hope.

Cruiserparts and LCH both got back to me on Bell housing-back parts. CP says they can get me everything I need for around $3500 (from a 3B rig). LCH is checking with their Dubai location and will be getting back to me, but should be able to source parts from a 13bt 70 series. Apart from the 13bt parts being newer, I don't believe there is much making them any better? May be some variations in bell housings I need to research, and confirm flywheel compatibility. But I should have a few sources for non-engine parts, at least.

H55F with B input shaft is still available brand new. Spendy ($4000), but an option. Would need to source a 3b/13bt Bell housing, still. Cruiserparts sells a 3b conversion and say they can source used 5 speeds in the Listing. So they may be able to source Bell housing and used H55F for me separately, one would hope.

I highly doubt new h55f with 3b is still available. Every vendor and source on mud including overseas says it’s no longer available. Cruiserparts.net is not the most reliable source at all.

Cruiserparts and LCH both got back to me on Bell housing-back parts. CP says they can get me everything I need for around $3500 (from a 3B rig). LCH is checking with their Dubai location and will be getting back to me, but should be able to source parts from a 13bt 70 series. Apart from the 13bt parts being newer, I don't believe there is much making them any better? May be some variations in bell housings I need to research, and confirm flywheel compatibility. But I should have a few sources for non-engine

Now i do believe they can find some used 3b/h55f combos. The 13bt uses a bigger clutch than the 3b. Also different flywheel 8 vs 6 bolt depending on years.
The transmission however will be the same. It’s just the input shaft that’s different between the 2f/3f,12h and 1HZ and then the B series ones.

So in theory if you have a good B series input shaft, you could swap it into a brand new h55f. I found 1 used 3b shaft and they wanted $700 for it used.

I highly doubt new h55f with 3b is still available. Every vendor and source on mud including overseas says it’s no longer available. Cruiserparts.net is not the most reliable source at all.

Now i do believe they can find some used 3b/h55f combos. The 13bt uses a bigger clutch than the 3b. Also different flywheel 8 vs 6 bolt depending on years.
The transmission however will be the same. It’s just the input shaft that’s different between the 2f/3f,12h and 1HZ and then the B series ones.

So in theory if you have a good B series input shaft, you could swap it into a brand new h55f. I found 1 used 3b shaft and they wanted $700 for it used.
Interesting. CP does list the new option, but I'd prefer to source the entire assembly used anyways. It looks like a 13bt backing plate, 8 bolt flywheel, and 12v starter would work out with a 15bft. Otherwise need a late year 3bii 8 bolt flywheel and matching backing plate.

A few other issues of note to deal with: 5bfts are all almost all front sump and 24v. Supposedly they were in dyna trucks as well with rear sumps, but every picture I've seen in sale listings are coaster engines.

One option is to source a non-turbo 15bf, which from what I have read are rear sump and can be found in 12v flavor. Otherwise, alternator and sensors need swapping with 12v B parts. 15bfs are rotary pump vs inline pump on 15bfts, however. 15bfs can also have smaller 8 bolt flywheel needed.

13bt rear sump oil pan looks like it may swap onto 15bft block (CP has it on site for $400), but still have pickup and dip stick to deal with. It may be easier and cheaper to start with a 15bf and turbo later. Megacruiser 15BFTEs use correct oil pan and dipstick, but I have not found a source for parts yet. Otherwise, source a junk 13bt to rob parts from. Or, go with the LCH 13bt package and swap to a 15bft down the road/ rob parts and sell 13bt.

Last edited:
Other items to consider.

Intake heater screen - not required, but supposedly a 12v unit from a 1hd could work. Alternatively, maybe a 12-24V step-up converter/transformer will work? Something that can be addressed down the road.

Alternator - 1hd 12v unit will work. Maybe 13bt one would as well. Needs different size belt. Shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

Fuel shutoff VSV- I would assume any 12v VSV of correct type would work? Don't know much about VSVs, I assume they are either normally open or normally closed. Would need to figure out which is needed. I would assume normally closed.

Thermostat housing- supposedly works out better to swap for a b/13bt thermostat housing to point rad hose in a more convenient direction for a radiator.

Tachometer- it looks like the 15bfts uses a 24v sensor that communicates with the coaster dash and isn't easily made to work with a regular 12v gauge. Apparently the LC B engines use a sensor off the bell housing. Will need to research more.

For the oil sump, I'd wonder if I could just cut around the base of the pan, flip it around and reweld. Then modify pickup tube. Not sure what it looks like under there. 3b pickup may work as well.

Also, apparently the rotary pump on the 15bf makes for better clearance by the brake booster than the 15bft inline pump. But I don't think the clearance is a big issue. I will probably be making my own motor mounts and can adjust, anyways.

Also. 8/88 and up 13bts used an 8 bolt flywheel. So if LCH can source parts from a later year 70 series, should work out.

Last edited:
A few other issues of note to deal with: 5bfts are all front sump and 24v.

One option is to source a non-turbo 15bf, which from what I have read are rear sump and can be found in 12v flavor. Otherwise, alternator and sensors need swapping with 12v B parts. 15bfs are rotary pump vs inline pump on 15bfts, however. 15bfs can also have smaller 8 bolt flywheel needed.

13bt rear sump oil pan looks like it may swap onto 15bft block (CP has it on site for $400), but still have pickup and dip stick to deal with. It may be easier and cheaper to start with a 15bf and turbo later. Megacruiser 15BFTEs use correct oil pan and dipstick, but I have not found a source for parts yet. Otherwise, source a junk 13bt to rob parts from. Or, go with the LCH 13bt package and swap to a 15bft down the road/ rob parts and sell 13bt.

I don’t think the 24v accessories are that bad of a problem. The alternator you can always find a 12v one that’s close and mod it to fit.

As long as you have a starter you can always swap the motor for 12v.

The sump might be an issue but the 13bt one is interesting if it fits. That or cut the wings off and run it.

Interesting. CP does list the new option, but I'd prefer to source the entire assembly used anyways. It looks like a 13bt backing plate, 8 bolt flywheel, and 12v starter would work out with a 15bft. Otherwise need a late year 3bii 8 bolt flywheel and matching backing plate.
I’m
Other items to consider.

Intake heater screen - not required, but supposedly a 12v unit from a 1hd could work. Alternatively, maybe a 12-24V step-up converter/transformer will work? Something that can be addressed down the road.

Alternator - 1hd 12v unit will work. Maybe 13bt one would as well. Needs different size belt. Shouldn't be difficult to figure out.

Fuel shutoff VSV- I would assume any 12v VSV of correct type would work? Don't know much about VSVs, I assume they are either normally open or normally closed. Would need to figure out which is needed. I would assume normally closed.

Thermostat housing- supposedly works out better to swap for a b/13bt thermostat housing to point rad hose in a more convenient direction for a radiator.

Tachometer- it looks like the 15bfts uses a 24v sensor that communicates with the coaster dash and isn't easily made to work with a regular 12v gauge. Apparently the LC B engines use a sensor off the bell housing. Will need to research more.

For the oil sump, I'd wonder if I could just cut around the base of the pan, flip it around and reweld. Then modify pickup tube. Not sure what it looks like under there. 3b pickup may work as well.

Also, apparently the rotary pump on the 15bf makes for better clearance by the brake booster than the 15bft inline pump. But I don't think the clearance is a big issue. I will probably be making my own motor mounts and can adjust, anyways.

VSV shutdown on a 13bt just turns off airflow. It’s a butterfly that closes off.

Tach sensor does bolt into the side of the bellhousing on B 13bt

The 15bft uses a 300mm clutch, 13bt 275mm not sure if a normal b/13b bellhousing fits 300mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom