FJ40 13BT/1KZ-TE Diesel Swap Options and Sources (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m

VSV shutdown on a 13bt just turns off airflow. It’s a butterfly that closes off.

Tach sensor does bolt into the side of the bellhousing on B 13bt

The 15bft uses a 300mm clutch, 13bt 275mm not sure if a normal b/13b bellhousing fits 300mm.

Ah- must be a larger actuator than the VSVs I am more familiar with that are like this.

1696135081895.png

15bft flywheels will not fit either bell housing. Supposedly some 15bfs came with the smaller flywheel. I'm thinking it would be ideal to just source parts from a 13bt rig. There are other ways around the tach issue I am finding, such as off the alternator.

Ah- must be a larger actuator than the VSVs I am more familiar with that are like this.

View attachment 3444318

15bft flywheels will not fit either bell housing. Supposedly some 15bfs came with the smaller flywheel. I'm thinking it would be ideal to just source parts from a 13bt rig. There are other ways around the tach issue I am finding, such as off the alternator.

same thing. The VSV just control a vacuum dashpot that closes the butterfly and airflow to the engine.

So the Alibaba vendors are not themselves able to facilitate shipping to me, they can only ship to port. I would need to find a freight forwarding company/ broker to deal with customs and get it on a truck and send to me, something I have no experience with. The vendors are also a bit difficult to get information out of due to translation. Have not given up, but getting engine to me may be a pain.

I do, however , have a line on a 15BFTE. I am concerned about getting the electronic injection to function as I believe the FTEs are also all 24 volt. I would definitely prefer a mechanical injection, 2 wire motor like the FT. Maybe a mechanical injection pump can be swapped in? The FTEs supposedly had some internal improvements over the FTs. They also have correct rear sump oil pan.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the B series engines, stacks of low down torque and nearly indestructible. IMO the H55F is the weak link, blew third gear in mine. I think the low range 3rd gear/low rpm killed it. I'd goa B series engine and auto.

LCH got me quotes.

13BT conversion package minus the engine-$6000
It's only about $1000 more for the package with engine. So would be better off getting the whole deal and selling the 13bt. Or running the 13bt.

They are also able to source 15BFT and FTEs, but are very pricey and comparible in price to a 1hd-ft/FTE.

15BFT-$12900
15BFTE-$13900

Shipping about $950.

If I get my hands on a 15bft/FTE, I would probably be better off going with cruiser parts for trans & associated parts, but sourcing flywheel may be a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom