Seeking Advice on FJ40 Diesel Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1976 FJ40 with a 350 TBI. I am looking to tear it down to the frame and am torn on the engine to use. I love this FJ40 and my goal is to make it as reliable as possible for daily use; but give it a bit more pep for enjoyment. Will be used in town, on longer trips and getting to shooting and fishing holes in the mountains. As of late, I am settling in on the Cummins 4bt or the Mercedes OM606a. I am certainly open to other options if they warrant a look. Seems to me that both the Cummins and Mercedes motors will fit fairly well without modification, are capable of adequate power/torque, and provide good fuel mileage. Assuming they are very similar in price, which direction would you go and why? I was originally set on the 4bt; however, excessive noise and vibration has me a bit concerned. I have had lots of Cummins in full-size pickups and I do like the sound of the engine, but I am concerned just how loud it might be in a FJ40 (even with sound proofing, etc.) Also the direction I am looking to go will require compound turbos, which gets a little tight. The OM606 was suggested to me and sound really promising in that it takes up slightly less room, may be easier to generate more HP/torque and is more drivable (quiet and smoother). I have not driven or riden in anything with either engine, so I am merely trying to decipher what's been said online.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Isuzu 4bdt look like a good choice too , you can get parts at chevy dealer

Isuzu make outstanding diesel engines.

If you're at all nervous about the noise of a 4 cylinder Cummins, I'd say pass.

I'm not familiar with the Cummins engine, but knowing they are used in USPS vans, I can say even as an Aussie, I'm familiar with hearing those vans approaching in a quite small USA neighbourhood, and hearing them from a half mile away.
Not a chance I'd want my cruiser to sound even remotely like that

Any experience or thoughts on the Duramax 2.8L LWM? I have found a crate motor recently and am considering it.

No experience with that one yet. But I would like to see someone pioneer it!!

No experience with that one yet. But I would like to see someone pioneer it!!
Ha, I will post if I do. I'm seriously considering picking it up tomorrow and getting this underway. Seems like it's aftermarket support is fairly good and it seems pretty promising from a performance perspective!

Id slap a 1HD-FTE in to a 40 series!!! just to keep it all toyota maybe a 1VD-FTV

I'd love to see a 1VD-FTV in a 40.
They are a fair lump of a motor. Not sure one would fit . . .
If moneys is no option. Skid factory slapped in v12. So why not a 1VD-FTV

Anything is possible, if someone is willing to pay the bill.

Regardless of money, sometimes shoehorning a huge motor into a small car doesn't make sense.

I'd love to put one into an 80. Will never happen though.
Lol, I would agree that shoehorning something in the small engine bay of a FJ40 may not make sense. I started out with intentions of installing a Tundra 5.7L. I still think it would be cool, but after measuring and really thinking about the size of that engine and the true utilitarian approach, it didn't make sense to me. It has been really interesting to explore some of these smaller power plants that really provide substantial HP and TQ.

Id slap a 1HD-FTE in to a 40 series!!! just to keep it all toyota maybe a 1VD-FTV
Why a 1VD-FTV? Don't get me wrong, it sounds fun, but it's a big engine for 261 HP and 479 ft-lb. I believe that performance can be somewhat conservatively gained from the Mercedes OM606, Duramax 2.8L, etc.

Why a 1VD-FTV? Don't get me wrong, it sounds fun, but it's a big engine for 261 HP and 479 ft-lb. I believe that performance can be somewhat conservatively gained from the Mercedes OM606, Duramax 2.8L, etc.

It's a big lazy v8, like most Toyota stuff, it's capable of a lot more than stock output.

Plus, a lot of people can't go past the fact It's a v8, sounds awesome, and it's diesel, and it's turbocharged, and its Toyota goodness, and . . .

BRB!

Where did I put my tape measure? :hmm:

You’re not going to find any advice here that you can’t find already on one of the millions of threads already on this subject. Just do some research, it sounds like you started there so maybe you came here for a poll? It’s really just matter of preference based on your requirements.

You’re not going to find any advice here that you can’t find already on one of the millions of threads already on this subject. Just do some research, it sounds like you started there so maybe you came here for a poll? It’s really just matter of preference based on your requirements.
I can care less about a poll; before I spend serious cash, I'm asking people with more experience than I if there are significant advantages with one over the other.
Thanks for your contribution.

Any experience or thoughts on the Duramax 2.8L LWM? I have found a crate motor recently and am considering it.

*edit, the Duramax 2.8 is an Italian VM. Related to the Jeep engines, it's not related to the Cummins R2.8 I misread it for earlier /edit*

I suspect you've got power/torque requirements that'll be unrealistic for most engines and budgets. If you wanted to modernise it but keep it toyota I'd look for a 1KD-FTV (3 litre commonrail diesel). If you were wanting torque but not a heap of power than a 15B-FT(E) would be perfect.

If you don't care about power/torque/speed but want it smooth and quiet than a Toyota 1HZ 6 cylinder will do that. But fuel consumption will be worse than any direct injection diesel.

Last edited:
It's a big lazy v8, like most Toyota stuff, it's capable of a lot more than stock output.

Plus, a lot of people can't go past the fact It's a v8, sounds awesome, and it's diesel, and it's turbocharged, and its Toyota goodness, and . . .

BRB!

Where did I put my tape measure? :hmm:
The width outside of cylinder head - outside of cylinder head is the challenge with the 1VD, they're wider than a 6.6 Duramax. I assume the DOHC adds some 'depth' to the head that the cam-in-block Duramax avoids.

1hd-fits nice

I would 100% do a FTE. Already swapped one in a 100 series easy and used the factory computer.

The 1hd Diesel engine series is a pleasure to work on for the DIY

The width outside of cylinder head - outside of cylinder head is the challenge with the 1VD, they're wider than a 6.6 Duramax. I assume the DOHC adds some 'depth' to the head that the cam-in-block Duramax avoids.

Yeah, any DOHC V8 is gonna be wider than Kim Kardashian across the hips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom