Seeking Advice on FJ40 Diesel Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My boys have v8s in their 40s. They do 75-80 mph. Makes quick work of the passes in Colorado. Game changer.

Watching this. I'm researching the 2.8 LWN for a FJ60 project. I figure I can drive into any Chevy/GMC dealer to get help if needed. How many Toyota dealers are you going to find support? Maybe there are some out there. But that is one of the things I consider. The trucks they came in, Chevy Colorado, is about 100 lbs heaver than an FJ60. From what I read on other forums, ditch the DPF and horsepower goes up from 181 to about 220. Then had a mild tune and the tuners are showing, in the 250hp. @dbransco, where did you find a crate motor? Don't worry, I won't snip it from you. I plan to start collecting things mid-next year. I just need to add that source to my list. Thanks

Watching this. I'm researching the 2.8 LWN for a FJ60 project. I figure I can drive into any Chevy/GMC dealer to get help if needed. How many Toyota dealers are you going to find support? Maybe there are some out there. But that is one of the things I consider. The trucks they came in, Chevy Colorado, is about 100 lbs heaver than an FJ60. From what I read on other forums, ditch the DPF and horsepower goes up from 181 to about 220. Then had a mild tune and the tuners are showing, in the 250hp. @dbransco, where did you find a crate motor? Don't worry, I won't snip it from you. I plan to start collecting things mid-next year. I just need to add that source to my list. Thanks
You can get a Cummins R2.8 directly from Cummins.
I would definitely research the 2.8 LWN. I really wanted to use one, as they sound great and support is plentyful; however, I read a lot about issues with that motor. Look on 2.8L Duramax forums on FB.

The GM 2.8 is not an Isuzu engine, it's an italian VM. The numbers being quote are not a good idea on the stock engine. You'll overspeed the turbo and be running hot and smokey.
The stock numbers are plenty if you want it to last.

Last edited:
My boys have v8s in their 40s. They do 75-80 mph. Makes quick work of the passes in Colorado. Game changer.

I've been in a 40 series doing 90mph. It's a scary experience.
They don't have the brakes, steering or wheelbase for fast highway work and you can't hear yourself think.

I've been in a 40 series doing 90mph. It's a scary experience.
They don't have the brakes, steering or wheelbase for fast highway work and you can't hear yourself think.
Agree. All have upgrade brakes. Fj60 steering box upgrades and tight rod ends. Boys know how to drive these rigs. It helps growing up in them, working on them, driving them.

Speaking of diesel swap, how much torque would the transfer case take? A 50hp tuned 2.8 duramax will put out a 444ft/lbs. If I remember correctly, an FJ60 tcase will handle up to 350ft/lbs.

Speaking of diesel swap, how much torque would the transfer case take? A 50hp tuned 2.8 duramax will put out a 444ft/lbs. If I remember correctly, an FJ60 tcase will handle up to 350ft/lbs.

I designed my own transfer-case input shaft around 2000Nm torque. I've been fine for 15 years. Others who tried similar but didn't get material spec right had repeated shaft failures.

A
A splitcase should be good for a lot more than 350 ft lbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom