15B-FTE mechanical pump swap? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtSniffer

Professional dirt sniffer, rock licker
SILVER Star
Threads
On a journey to diesel swap my 40, and am looking hard at the 15b-FT/FTEs. I have a potential source for an FTE, and originally thought one could just swap a mechanical IP from an FT and toss the electronics. However, I then came across that 1HD-FTEs cannot be easily converted to mechanical due to different IP mounting flanges from the mechanical FT pump. I haven't come across this issue with the 15B-FTE, but looking at parts and parts diagrams, the mechanical FT pump looks to use a 2-bolt mounting flange and splined shaft, while the FTE uses a 4 bolt and threaded shaft which I assume a timing gear threads onto. Is this correct? Has anyone successfully converted a 15B-FTE to a mechanical fuel injector pump? I'm thinking starting off with an FT may be the easier route if I want a mechanical IP.

I understand injectors would likely need swapping to match mech IP pressure as well.

FT pump:
851110_2202_0001.png

FTE pump:
sensor2.jpg

Last edited:
To further confuse things, I believe I have found another 15B-FT IP with another different mounting flange.

220959A.png

Last edited:
Looks like this other FT pump is the more common inline pump, and the first one is a rotary pump, I believe more common on the 15b-fs?

I would not say one pump is more common than the other. I have a 15bf, 15bft, and a 15bfte. All are rotary pumps. It just depends on what market they came from. There is a gentleman in Thailand that swaps manual pumps onto 15bfte engines so I know it can be done. However, with the language barrier it is near impossible to get any conclusive technical questions answered from him. I inquired about a mechanical pump to purchase and he tried to sell me a 60 psi or 100 psi pump. I could not get across that I just want a stock flowing pump.

I would not say one pump is more common than the other. I have a 15bf, 15bft, and a 15bfte. All are rotary pumps. It just depends on what market they came from. There is a gentleman in Thailand that swaps manual pumps onto 15bfte engines so I know it can be done. However, with the language barrier it is near impossible to get any conclusive technical questions answered from him. I inquired about a mechanical pump to purchase and he tried to sell me a 60 psi or 100 psi pump. I could not get across that I just want a stock flowing pump.

Good to know, I was under the impression for some reason most were inline but must be wrong. Hard to tell from pictures of engines I find.

Interesting. Not 100% against running an ECU but just like the idea of a 2 wire engine with a mechanical pump, even if it means sacrificing some power.
I'm in the same boat, can't decide what to do with the fte. A harness, ecu, and spill driver will be at least an additional 3k. Additional power would be very nice though. I got hosed on the deal because I paid for an FT and the seller bait and switched me and shipped the FTE.

It looks like the timing gear cover on the front of the engine would need to be swapped out for one from a mech IP engine. And maybe timing gears as well.

Hopefully just the back half of the case, here are some part #'s I have found. Would need to confirm whether each is for rotary or inline pump.

11301-58010
11301-58011
11301-58012
11301-58020 (2 stud rotary pump) - This one actually shows up on toyotapartsdeal for some reason.
11301-58021 (also 2 stud, and also on TPD...)
11301-58030 inline pump
11301-58031 inline pump

Seems to be some overlap with 14B timing covers.

Haven't found much info on timing gear setups yet.

1697217801582.png

This Thread shows timing gear setups of a 15BF and FTE and has some info. Starting to look like more trouble than it is worth unless you have a complete 15BFT to rob parts from.

Last edited:
It does, however, look like the inline pump and some rotary pumps use the same tapered shaft with threaded end which is secured to the timing gear by a nut that the FTE pump uses. One could maybe drill and tap the case to accept the inline mechanical pump.

One more issue, if the other thread info is accurate, is the FTE uses slightly larger flywheel bolts. Unsure of spacing, but could maybe drill out holes on a 3bii/13bt flywheel.

Last edited:
I have found 2 instances of mechanical rotary pumps being fitted to an FTE. One was done by drilling into the FTE timing case and used new bolts/studs, and the other used an adapter plate. Not sure how the adapter works as the shaft wouldn't be sticking out far enough to reach timing gear.

This has been a good learning exercise, but it is starting to look like a big headache and diesel engines are new territory for me. Have not given up, but the turn key complete 13BT package Landcruiser Heaven sells is starting to look appealing...

15BFTE-pump.jpg
148941108_10157367601791537_6004226176499974268_n.jpg

I have two of the harnesses from Mick Wallin for the 1HDFTE. Those work like magic. I have committed to building two trucks with 1HDFTE’s, but would do a 15BFTE in a heartbeat now knowing how easy it is to use Mick’s harness.

He is not currently building for the 15BFTE but could possibly be convinced in the future.

Looks like timing cover will not interchange with FT. There was a change in front timing case at some point to accommodate a larger idler gear, which was shifted towards the injection pump side a bit and thus not interchangeable with older case. I cross referenced the FTE timing case gasket (11328-58020) as well as engine side timing case gasket (11312-58010) and came back for only the FTE Dynas and Coastsers, so looks like the switch came with the FTE and there were no FT engines with this front timing case/gear arrangement to swap over.

Last edited:
Surely buying an FTE and an FT injection pump, plus the fabrication/bespoke parts to make it fit would be neither cheaper nor easier than just buying an -FT? Plus you end up with a mish-mash of an engine.

I think most parts for the -FT are still available so buy a core with a mind to rebuild it. If you get a solid head, injection pump and camshaft then you're good - blocks can be rebored, aftermarket alfin pistons are cheap (and not-so-cheap originals are available), cranks can be re-ground, engine bearings are very cheap. I personally wouldn't have an inline pump but Coaster engines may have had an easier life than Dyna engines. Still not sure what/where got inline pumps (all European FTs seem to be in-line)

Come over to SE Asia for a shopping trip - last weekend I drove into Malaysia and saw a 15B-T, four 15B-FTs (some may have been turbo converted -FTs) and three 15B-FTEs (in Megacruiser half-cuts) for sale. The 15B-T is now in my garage :D

Surely buying an FTE and an FT injection pump, plus the fabrication/bespoke parts to make it fit would be neither cheaper nor easier than just buying an -FT? Plus you end up with a mish-mash of an engine.

I think most parts for the -FT are still available so buy a core with a mind to rebuild it. If you get a solid head, injection pump and camshaft then you're good - blocks can be rebored, aftermarket alfin pistons are cheap (and not-so-cheap originals are available), cranks can be re-ground, engine bearings are very cheap. I personally wouldn't have an inline pump but Coaster engines may have had an easier life than Dyna engines. Still not sure what/where got inline pumps (all European FTs seem to be in-line)

Come over to SE Asia for a shopping trip - last weekend I drove into Malaysia and saw a 15B-T, four 15B-FTs (some may have been turbo converted -FTs) and three 15B-FTEs (in Megacruiser half-cuts) for sale. The 15B-T is now in my garage :D
If it were so easy for me here in the States haha. Reason I am researching is there is an FTE from Japan out of a megacruiser that an importer here has that he decided he may not want and I can get it for about what a questionable engine from China would be. I think all of the coaster engines I have seen are inline pumps.

You should put a bunch in a container and ship to us in North America! Logistics would be a PITA, but I bet you could make a tidy profit!

I'd LOVE a megacruiser half cut which includes transmission and t-case. If half cut, than 15BFTE would not be a bad option, as all wiring/electronics are there.

They fit very nicely into 70 series frames. Here's a megacruiser engine/trans/tcase in a HZJ78 frame:

328926499_561264466050697_5362299052274086361_n.jpg
329379452_880482853285209_2682083617790463349_n.jpg

It does, however, look like the inline pump and some rotary pumps use the same tapered shaft with threaded end which is secured to the timing gear by a nut that the FTE pump uses. One could maybe drill and tap the case to accept the inline mechanical pump.

One more issue, if the other thread info is accurate, is the FTE uses slightly larger flywheel bolts. Unsure of spacing, but could maybe drill out holes on a 3bii/13bt flywheel.
The inline pump has an external automatic timing adjuster, that is built into the injection pump drive gear; the rotary pumps have internal adjustment. So you can't just use the rotary pump drive gear with the inline pump.
1697853238476.png

The inline pump has an external automatic timing adjuster, that is built into the injection pump drive gear; the rotary pumps have internal adjustment. So you can't just use the rotary pump drive gear with the inline pump.
View attachment 3461125
But if we are talking in-line FTs vs rotary FTs, replacing the drive gear (and maybe front and/or rear timing covers) would fix that. Or do they have different engine blocks?

You should put a bunch in a container and ship to us in North America! Logistics would be a PITA, but I bet you could make a tidy profit!

I'd LOVE a megacruiser half cut which includes transmission and t-case. If half cut, than 15BFTE would not be a bad option, as all wiring/electronics are there.

They fit very nicely into 70 series frames. Here's a megacruiser engine/trans/tcase in a HZJ78 frame:

View attachment 3460764View attachment 3460763
Haha definietly not something I want to get into!

I can't live with autos but I'm sure the A443F on the Megacruiser is a good unit. Is the transfer case the same as an 80 Series? I didn't even ask how much they wanted for it. I think the engines and portal axles are what people really want from the Megacruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom