Cruiser Trash Parts thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New year update:

I’ve been enjoying a little post-holiday lull lately over here at CTP. I’m in the middle of a transfer case rebuild project, with a power steering gear box re-seal on deck after that, plus a bunch of little things on my daily driver 60 - that’s how it always goes driving one of these all the time. I’m also maybe shopping around for a bottom of the barrel garbage FJ40 to play around with. No reason to NOT sign another rust-deal with the devil.

More Koito headlight upgrade kits in stock. I am still regularly stocking these. When I sell out they may be temporarily out of stock but it shouldn’t be for more than a week. PM me here or email me if they are so you get dibs on the next batch.
AB067CC7-FB72-43D0-9FE8-635030129AF4.jpeg

The upgraded alternator charge cable Fusible Link Replacement Kits are in stock and ready to go out the door. This is the one you want anyway. Vast improvement over the stock charge cable (and my “basic” kit). The basic kit shown in the photo sold this week. As always, this is plug & play and comes with a bracket to directly and easily mount it in the engine bay. Overland Metric plated hardware holds it all together.
07F4D8A5-E8EE-4B1F-A944-2D7C94DFF82B.jpeg

High Beam Indicator Modules … where to start … Out of the 300 or so I’ve sold, about a dozen have stopped working. I don’t like that and I need to drill down as to why it’s happening. It very well could be the result of the trucks those are going on, but I’d still like to rule out the HBIM. The circuit design was run by an electrical engineer consultant before I released these to the public, so due diligence was made. Five of those failures have been recent, though, so it warrants further inspection. I’ve also had some parts sourcing trouble recently with two of the components being regularly out of stock. On top of that I’d like to finesse my PC board design a bit, possibly for more readily available parts. All that being said, I’d like to do a design revision and then release version 2.0 in the coming month or two. Those will show as sold out on the website for a bit!

Beyond that I have a few more products in the pipeline:

Fire extinguisher mount - the products that have been on the market for this in the past simply don’t work (I bought them, then put them in the scrap metal pile), and they’re unavailable now anyway. I want one and there’s nowhere to get it, so …

Map light - ever pulled over at night and need a light in the cab? The middle dome light isn’t the best for illuminating the front two seats so let’s put a light up front, eh? This will not be plug & play on the wiring side, but it shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m aiming for an available OEM Toyota light that mounts to a customized bracket. I would also like the bracket to hold a dash cam. The more Cruisers I see that are getting into wrecks, the more a dash cam makes sense to me. So what’s everybody running for that? I’d need to make the mount fit a specific unit but I don’t know what the popular ones are and would like some feedback.

Dual battery stuff - I’m currently acquiring parts for my own dual battery setup. I’ll likely end up creating my own custom bracket to hold all the doodads required, so why not open that up to other people too? This will be a relay-based system as opposed to a DC-DC charger based system. It will mount to existing holes in the engine bay. Could anybody use something like that? Roll call please…

55 stuff - I already have a laser cut ABS tailgate panel for 55s available (the metal ones get beat up, dented, and form tears by the bolt holes), but I’m going to be putting some effort behind getting 55 cargo panels done by the end of the spring. Got a couple folks who have volunteered their trucks and panels.

EGR lower j-pipe ferrules - once upon a time I made these for us smog people, but I haven’t had them available in a long time. The upper ones are available from Toyota and the lower ones cross reference to the same part number. I can assure you the upper ones DON’T work for the lower though, they’re different inner diameters. I have started reaching out to some machinists to make a run of these. They’re simple, I just lack the equipment, and most larger machine shops don’t want to do small runs for me. Anybody have connections to somebody with a small metal lathe? PM me please.

Questions, comments, concerns? Please leave them below.

Last edited:
New year update:

I’ve been enjoying a little post-holiday lull lately over here at CTP. I’m in the middle of a transfer case rebuild project, with a power steering gear box re-seal on deck after that, plus a bunch of little things on my daily driver 60 - that’s how it always goes driving one of these all the time. I’m also maybe shopping around for a bottom of the barrel garbage FJ40 to play around with. No reason to NOT sign another rust-deal with the devil.

More Koito headlight upgrade kits in stock. I am still regularly stocking these. When I sell out they may be temporarily out of stock but it shouldn’t be for more than a week. PM me here or email me if they are so you get dibs on the next batch.
View attachment 3538402

The upgraded alternator charge cable Fusible Link Replacement Kits are in stock and ready to go out the door. This is the one you want anyway. Vast improvement over the stock charge cable (and my “basic” kit). The basic kit shown in the photo sold this week. As always, this is plug & play and comes with a bracket to directly and easily mount it in the engine bay. Overland Metric plated hardware holds it all together.
View attachment 3538404

High Beam Indicator Modules … where to start … Out of the 300 or so I’ve sold, about a dozen have stopped working. I don’t like that and I need to drill down as to why it’s happening. It very well could be the result of the trucks those are going on, but I’d still like to rule out the HBIM. The circuit design was run by an electrical engineer consultant before I released these to the public, so due diligence was made. Five of those failures have been recent, though, so it warrants further inspection. I’ve also had some parts sourcing trouble recently with two of the components being regularly out of stock. On top of that I’d like to finesse my PC board design a bit, possibly for more readily available parts. All that being said, I’d like to do a design revision and then release version 2.0 in the coming month or two. Those will show as sold out on the website for a bit!

Beyond that I have a few more products in the pipeline:

Fire extinguisher mount - the products that have been on the market for this in the past simply don’t work (I bought them, then put them in the scrap metal pile), and they’re unavailable now anyway. I want one and there’s nowhere to get it, so …

Map light - ever pulled over at night and need a light in the cab? The middle dome light isn’t the best for illuminating the front two seats so let’s put a light up front, eh? This will not be plug & play on the wiring side, but it shouldn’t be too difficult. I’m aiming for an available OEM Toyota light that mounts to a customized bracket. I would also like the bracket to hold a dash cam. The more Cruisets I see that are getting into wrecks, the more a dash cam makes sense to me. So what’s everybody running for that? I’d need to make the mount fit a specific unit but I don’t know what the popular ones are and would like some feedback.

Dual battery stuff - I’m currently acquiring parts for my own dual battery setup. I’ll likely end up creating my own custom bracket to hold all the doodads required, so why not open that up to other people too? This will be a relay-based system as opposed to a DC-DC charger based system. It will mount to existing holes in the engine bay. Could anybody use something like that? Roll call please…

55 stuff - I already have a laser cut ABS tailgate panel for 55s available (the metal ones get beat up, dented, and form tears by the bolt holes), but I’m going to be putting some effort behind getting 55 cargo panels done by the end of the spring. Got a couple folks who have volunteered their trucks and panels.

EGR lower j-pipe ferrules - once upon a time I made these for us smog people, but I haven’t had them available in a long time. The upper ones are available from Toyota and the lower ones cross reference to the same part number. I can assure you the upper ones DON’T work for the lower though, they’re different inner diameters. I have started reaching out to some machinists to make a run of these. They’re simple, I just lack the equipment, and most larger machine shops don’t want to do small runs for me. Anybody have connections to somebody with a small metal lathe? PM me please.

Questions, comments, concerns? Please leave them below.
Fire extinguisher mount and dual battery setup would be sweet. HBIM I bought from you is still doing great!

Just ordered 2 headlight kits! I bought the HBIM this past summer in July, and every time I flick on the high beams I smile. Working great!

I thought the HBIM is an easy part, then I read it was actually engineered and thought out; totally worth it!

You make great stuff.

Just ordered 2 headlight kits! I bought the HBIM this past summer in July, and every time I flick on the high beams I smile. Working great!

I thought the HBIM is an easy part, then I read it was actually engineered and thought out; totally worth it!

You make great stuff.
Thanks man! I’ll get those shipped tomorrow. There’s not many components in it, but I usually go over the top on R&D so everything takes time. Parts orientation on the PCB, parts selection for quality and robustness, assembly order, aesthetics, analysis of the truck wiring, etc.

@kody472 Thanks for the feedback! This dual battery thing will take a lot of figuring out. Probably won’t be installing for a few months. Today I opened the hood for other reasons and started looking at the air intake and how the routing would have to be changed. Just another obstacle to overcome.

It's been a couple months since I updated ... oops! I have several updates that I will break into multiple posts.

2F lower EGR ferrules are BACK after a long hiatus. All you smog folks looking to seal up your EGR system: this ferrule solves a notorious and probably the worst exhaust leak spot. This goes behind the big nut where the j-pipe enters the cooler. There's a smaller ferrule up top that is still available from Toyota, where the EGR valve dumps into the intake - and strangely enough, Toyota lists that part number as valid for the j-pipe/cooler connection. I assure you it is not. They are different diameters and the smaller upper ferrule will not fit down low. So if you're in California or Colorado, or anywhere else that requires you to keep your EGR system in place and want to get rid of that annoying exhaust leak, here's the fix. I have very limited stock but will do another run ASAP when these sell out.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 103450.jpg

LED flasher module stock has been spotty because people aren't returning their cores. You have 30 days to do that before I keep the core fee, but I'm willing to extend that just this once if you want to send your good core back. Temporary amnesty! I need more to keep this program going. Or if anybody has flasher modules to sell, I will pay $25 a piece. I sell at $45 apiece because I have parts and labor in modifying these to work with LED blinker bulbs. Here are the two types I need:

flasher.jpg

I'll be sponsoring several events coming up soon...

The First is ColoYota Expo on May 11th in Golden, Colorado. If you're on the front range, come on out and see me! From their website: "ColoYota Expo is your home town, homegrown overland vendor expo, swap meet, car show, and meet & greet, open to all owners of any Toyota or Lexus 4×4. Hosted by the Rising Sun 4×4 Club of Colorado, the largest chapter of the Toyota Land Cruiser Association, the ColoYota Expo is the place you want to be, the people you want to know, and the vendors and organizations you want to be a part of, as you enjoy Colorado’s public lands from your Toyota & Lexus 4×4." This has been a great event in past years (and in different iterations), and Rising Sun is a great club that gives back to the community in so many ways. I should know, I'm a member!

Next is Cruise Moab, April 17-21. While I won't be able to attend this year, I'll have a few items in the CM 60 Series raffle. Another great event from my buds in Rising Sun - one of the oldest, biggest, and coolest Toyota events in the United States. If you're taking your 60 Series to Moab, be sure to look for my raffle items.

Finally, I'll be a sponsoring vendor at Solid Axle Summit again this year, August 5 - 9. The best kept not-so-secret event in the vintage Land Cruiser world! I'm really looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones in the San Juan Mountains in Colorado. Of course I'll have items in the raffle again this year.

If you see me at any of these events come on over and say hi! And if you have an idea for another event I could get involved with, let me know.

Working on some new products, but I'm moving slow. My daily driver 60, Matilda, has been pretty needy lately and that's taking a ton of my time. I had been working on rebuilding a spare transfer case to a spare H42 since before the holidays, and it was finally ready. I swapped that whole assembly in a few weeks ago along with a new rear main seal, clutch kit, and oil pan & gasket. As with all projects I clean every nut and bolt meticulously and paint all parts as necessary so they look pretty. While all that was going on I did a radiator replacement, as well as changed the clutch master & slave cylinders. Very soon I'll be rebuilding and swapping in a spare 2F I have and rebuilding a spare power steering gear box. Oh, and the u-bolt flip kit on the front. It's been a lot, leaving me with little time for design work ... But I do have a couple things cooking.

First up is an upgraded version of the cargo panels in BROWN. This started as a custom request, and to make it make financial sense I’m going to do a run of them. It may become a permanent item, along with gray, but I'm not sure yet. What I’m looking for is additional buy in from 1-2 people who want brown. These panels will also have the indented lines like the stock panels have.

56486F24-B6AD-4CDC-9E37-087D52E1C3E1.jpeg

007B3F94-6754-457E-9179-2E9A5554271E.jpeg

These will be more expensive than the current ABS panels by about 25-35% because the material costs more. That’s my best estimate right now, but as I get some buy in I’ll dial in the costs. Still affordable but a step above my current panels. They will also be 1/4” thick rather than 1/8”. The 1/8” ABS panels are plenty sturdy, but these will be even more so and hopefully offer a little more sound mitigation.

So … any interested parties?

Last edited:
Working on some new products, but I'm moving slow. My daily driver 60, Matilda, has been pretty needy lately and that's taking a ton of my time. I had been working on rebuilding a spare transfer case to a spare H42 since before the holidays, and it was finally ready. I swapped that whole assembly in a few weeks ago along with a new rear main seal, clutch kit, and oil pan & gasket. As with all projects I clean every nut and bolt meticulously and paint all parts as necessary so they look pretty. While all that was going on I did a radiator replacement, as well as changed the clutch master & slave cylinders. Very soon I'll be rebuilding and swapping in a spare 2F I have and rebuilding a spare power steering gear box. Oh, and the u-bolt flip kit on the front. It's been a lot, leaving me with little time for design work ... But I do have a couple things cooking.

First up is an upgraded version of the cargo panels in BROWN. This started as a custom request, and to make it make financial sense I’m going to do a run of them. It may become a permanent item, along with gray, but I'm not sure yet. What I’m looking for is additional buy in from 1-2 people who want brown. These panels will also have the indented lines like the stock panels have.

View attachment 3592530
View attachment 3592534

These will be more expensive than the current ABS panels by about 25-35% because the material costs more. That’s my best estimate right now, but as I get some buy in I’ll dial in the costs. Still affordable but a step above my current panels. They will also be 1/4” thick rather than 1/8”. The 1/8” ABS panels are plenty sturdy, but these will be even more so and hopefully offer a little more sound mitigation.

So … any interested parties?
I guess getting a set in blue would be too much to ask. :)

@87CRUSR Thanks! I just packed it up, you should have gotten your tracking email about 15 minutes ago.

@bcolvin I can definitely do the tailgate in brown too.

@zeeklafreek Sorry man, no blue for now. I’m open to custom orders though if you’re serious.

@87CRUSR Thanks! I just packed it up, you should have gotten your tracking email about 15 minutes ago.

@bcolvin I can definitely do the tailgate in brown too.

@zeeklafreek Sorry man, no blue for now. I’m open to custom orders though if you’re serious.
Thanks man. Let me get a clearer idea of the condition of my originals back in Texas. Will keep you posted.

I don't know about y'all, but spring is trying to sprung here in Denver! Looking forward to high 70s temps this weekend. Still working on converting all variants & years of the panels into the new design. Standby a few weeks on those.

I wanted to pop by here and let you all know I'm about a week behind on shipping - there's a few of you waiting on the ABS panels. I had family in town this week, a busy week at my day job, a couple kiddo sports travel games, and some time-sensitive heavy lifting to keep my engine rebuild on track. Been a hell of a week, but that's how life goes some times. I'm going to try to get one or two orders out tomorrow and the rest on Monday. If you ever have questions, feel free to reach out here, on IG, or via email. Thanks!

If you're in Colorado, don't forget the ColoYota Expo is coming up, too. May 11th! I'll be there as a vendor so come on out and say. Plenty of cool trucks to see and plenty of people hocking their junk in the swap meet too. The photos below are from a previous iteration of the event ... the past couple years have been MUCH bigger. Between vendors and ticket sales this year is on track to be the largest and most streamlined yet.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 104502.jpg

Restock alert 🚨

OEM LED Flasher Modules - high quality original modules modified to run LED blinker bulbs. These come and go as I get my hands on cores. If you buy one PLEASE return your core!!!
4x FJ62 variant
3x FJ60 variant
B1D02C5F-7246-4BAF-B660-34CB603A9DDF.jpeg

Fusible Link Replacement Kit - batches of these are being made regularly, so I’m always taking orders!
2x Basic Kit
2x Upgrades Kit
722C109B-A556-413A-A594-D7F95FD1F139.jpeg

EGR lower ferrules are still in stock after the two year drought. Seal up that exhaust leak!
9CEA66F0-8CF0-4F47-A717-5BA3BC54624F.jpeg

The NEW deluxe version of the cargo & tailgate panels has been sent to laser cutting! The material is a special order item so it will be a couple weeks before I have them in my hands. First batch is going to be brown, and I’ll run a batch in gray after that.
13FB15B2-000B-4EDE-A338-00B3A076D9E9.png

I’m interested in a gray set when they are available
Awesome. That will probably be about a month. Watch this spot!

Is the FJ62 fusible link upgrade still in work? I'd love to swap over to a more modern solution myself.

I do remember (but haven't gotten the opportunity yet) I plan to investigate the connections where my factory charge lead ultimately reaches the fuse panel and see about upgrading it for the sake of reducing voltage drop and accommodating higher output alternators.

@Spook50 I just got a new potential fuse box to try and design around. I’m going to fiddle with it this weekend.

The problem keeps coming back to space. The 3FE engine bay isn’t as tightly crammed as a modern engine bay, but it makes inefficient use of the given space. A widget bolted here, a widget bolted there. No big open holes like in a 2F engine bay. I’ll get it done though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom