Cruiser Trash Parts thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is pretty interesting!! Can you take a flasher with its resistor removed and do your magic?
Yep. I’d just replace the resistor to get back to square one, then modify from there.

Anybody selling a spare flasher?

Ok, I put this up on the website to see if there are any takers. I’m also fishing around for flashers people are getting rid of. For now it’s a service where you have to send your flasher in - in the future I will try to move to an exchange/core system to minimize downtime.

Here is the link to the service.

If you ever need measurements for an fj62 let me know, I have an '88 (build date Oct. 1987). Not exactly close to you, as I live in central Kansas, but I do get out to Colorado to visit buddies a couple times a year so I can probably drop it by you if you needed to go over it in person.

If you ever need measurements for an fj62 let me know, I have an '88 (build date Oct. 1987). Not exactly close to you, as I live in central Kansas, but I do get out to Colorado to visit buddies a couple times a year so I can probably drop it by you if you needed to go over it in person.
Thanks for the offer! Lap belts or 3-point harnesses in the back?

Couple of updates:

1. Engine bay wire tie kits are back in stock. I think I’ve solved the supply issue from Toyota. The right side will still be the seven longer blue-green ties. The left side will be either all white or all black. Both are the same size. The white are actually the original OEM ties for 60s, but the black ties fit exactly and look cool. I can’t guarantee which you’ll get because it depends on the availability at the time, but they are functionally identical. All of these have enough room for larger or extra wiring - see the photo below where my homemade harness for an aftermarket temp sender is routed next to the original harness. The green ties also accommodate my original harness and a huge 0 gauge upgraded starter cable.

04E689AD-8898-4F7D-9BE9-023B96FEBA36.jpeg

2. FJ62 panels are getting closer. @CenTXFJ60 has kind enough to video chat me while measuring stuff in his 62. Need to get some prototypes cut for that and find somebody to test fit. They’ll need a tweak or two and then will be ready.

3. The HBIM is now verified to work in 2nd gen Toyota MR2s, of all things! So the official confirmed list is now: FJ60, 1st gen 4Runner, 2nd gen MR2. I’m almost certain 78-83 FJ40s are there too but haven’t tested. Remember, the HBIM is designed for a harness like the one that comes in the Koito headlight upgrade kit. It will not work with certain LED kits or with harnesses that are built different. You can always PM me with questions.

(The Guinea pig MR2:)
4C2C5A5A-FFAC-4A8B-933A-450449A57F3F.jpeg

4. FJ55 tailgate panels are getting closer. I have a prototype and will test fit it on a local truck in the next week or two. I can already tell it will need some minor adjustments.

***5. I kind of spilled the beans in another thread, but I’ve been working on a fusible link replacement kit for 60s for a few months now. I know it’s easy for some folks to DIY this or to repair fusible links, so my kit will be aimed at folks who are afraid of electrical work or who don’t have the time. It will be close to a turnkey system: maybe a 20-30 minute install. There will be a custom made steel bracket that installs in pre-threaded holes in the engine bay, and will hold a very specific fuse panel I’ve found. The fuse panel is high quality (not Amazon junk) and is IP-waterproof rated. A kit for 62s May come later this year, but the damn air cleaner box on a 62 is ALWAYS in the way of stuff like this so it needs a little more thought. It also has 5 fusible links versus the 60s 3, so it will need a new fuse box. Totally different design from the ground up. The fuses will have almost identical characteristics to fusible link wire, they will be slow blow with almost the same curve, and they’ll be sized to act at the same current levels as the link wire. Safety is my #1 design criteria here.

2340B3A2-37E6-45C6-B968-62ED57C7CD89.jpeg

The last hurdle I’m dealing with is connecting the fuse panel to the three wires of the harness. It would be great if I could find the appropriate plastic connector from Toyota or have that remanufactured - so all you do is plug the thing in - but both options have been a dead end. It’s looking like waterproof, heat shrinking but splice connectors might be the way here, but I hate to do that. Maybe I’ll start a core program where you send in your fusible link and I use the connector from it. I hate to tear up links though. Open to opinions on this.

I may also add some upgrade options/add-ons. For example if you buy the fusible link replacement kit, you can add-on an upgraded alternator wiring kit. You’d get a ring-terminated fat cable to run to the B+ stud on the back of the alternator. Both times that I’ve personally upgraded that wire I’ve seen a 0.5-0.7V increase at idle.

I’d love feedback on any and all of this!

Tailgate panels are back in stock Here.

I also scrounged up some silver/gray ABS, two sheets for b a dusty local warehouse. It’s extremely rare to find his in any color other than black. Maybe this would work for 60 folks that have a gray interior. I haven’t bought the sheets yet - I would only do so if I had some willing parties who wanted panels in this color.

So … anyone out there?
AFEA02C0-8D0D-42BC-BBAB-A7586CC75736.jpeg

Looks awesome. Will it be more expensive than the black version?
Nope, the material is going to cost the same for me, so I don’t need to change the final product pricing. Yes the material is harder to find and originally more expensive, but this place also wants to be rid of it … so the price ends up squarely in line with a sheet of black. Kind of convenient.

Couple of new things today:

FJ62 flasher modules for LED blinker lights are go. I also changed the entire flasher module program - instead of having to send me yours I got some stock and modified them already. Now it's a core program. There’s a core charge that I refund when you send in your module to keep the program going. I posted this on FB and immediately sold out of the green 60 modules. Two 62 modules left. Still looking to buy a few more of either one!

6EAC5CDC-BEDB-4064-873B-9411FB2C6AB5.jpeg

Also, FJ55 tailgate panels hit the website today. I know the 60 forum is the wrong place for this, but an update is an update! I know there’s not much call for these since the original panels are metal, but they do get bent and develop cracks either at the bends or the fastener holes. I’m also planning on offering the cargo area panels for pigs in the next couple months.

015EE73D-0BE9-4CF0-AA32-6AB2D5E3A01B.jpeg

Posted in a separate thread for a new product I’m taking preorders on - the Fusible Link Replacement Kit. Mentioning it in this thread for posterity & organization.

A779D585-9380-4A09-BBEB-19BD09456922.jpeg

See next post for info on a sale I’m currently running!

Ok, summer is here and everybody is out wheeling, going on trips, or getting their garage Queen out into the driveway. In honor of that, I’m running the Summer Adventure Sale from now through 7/24 at midnight. Yep, that’s a long time. That’s from now until I leave on my own big adventure: Solid Axle Summit.

Use code 2023SAS7 for 15% off everything.
(Except the new Fusible Link Replacement Kit)

This will be to get some stuff into people’s hands more easily so they can use it this summer, and so I can clear out some inventory prior to my trip. So go to the site, check out some stuff, and save some cash. Have a great summer y’all!

I need to clear stuff out in my shop … let’s do 50% off used parts. Make them go away! I have more than what’s listed on the site - and not nearly enough time to create product pages on my web shop - so inquire within if you don’t see what you’re after.

This discount is automatically applied on the used parts. I don’t think it will combine with the 15% off new parts (code 2023SAS7), so you may have to make two orders if you want both used and new stuff. I’ll refund the shipping on one of the orders if so.

58B0E420-5832-44A3-A583-0D60E19324F6.jpeg

Back from Solid Axle Summit and back in action here at Cruiser Trash Parts HQ, so I wanted to drop in with a mid-summer update...

All orders received while I was gone are shipping out today. All but two of the pre-ordered plug & play Fusible Link Replacement Kits are shipped. I initially ordered 10 of the custom brackets and I got wiped out on those, so I'm waiting for the next batch to come in and then I can satisfy the two outstanding orders - and have several more to make additional kits. As the fusible links get harder to find and the headache associated with having them in a truck in the first place becomes more apparent, I hope folks realize this is a valid and well thought out solution they can jump ship to. I consider it the same way I do the rear seat bumpers: every 60 on the road should have one.

I got a bunch of LED flasher module cores returned while I was gone and got busy modifying them yesterday, so I have plenty of stock on both 60 and 62 variants. Got a big dip in the voltage gauge when you turn the blinker on? Grab one of my OEM modified flashers and pop some LED bulbs in your blinkers. No more voltage suck. I can recommend some high quality SuperBrightLEDs part numbers for those bulbs if you're not sure which way to go.

Probably the most exciting update (to me anyway) is that I was able to measure the cargo panel area on @joesfj40 FJ55. I already have the 55 tailgate panel dialed - and let's face it, those metal tailgate panels on pigs get thrashed. Scraped and bent and cracked, a lot of them have seen better days. But the cargo panels on pigs are even worse. It's the same crummy masonite as Toyota used in 60s, but it has 5-15 extra years on it. Speaking of 60s I have PLENTY of stock on cargo panels and tailgate panels. Cargo panels are valid for 81-early 88 trucks and tailgate panels are for 81-90 trucks.

62 cargo panel prototypes are in the hands of @HemiAlex - we're going to make some time soon to do a video chat while he tries a test fit in his Grey Gardens truck. I'm sure they'll need some quick tweaks, but then they'll go live. That should be before the end of the month, if not sooner. I know this has been a long time comin...

Right before I left I received some stock for the engine bay wire tie kits. These are OEM wire ties to replace the cracked and brittle ones in the engine bay. Once those break the wires flop around and the insulation can be damaged. I found one like that in my truck and luckily it wasn't shorting against the body - yet. Caught it just in time I think. It's also a great way to tidy up accesory wiring spaghetti - the ties have enough room for fatter ground & starter cables and whatever else you got going on. The kit comes with the exact length and number of ties needed to replace all of them in the engine bay of a 60. For whatever reason these have been slow coming from Toyota. I have outstanding orders and they trickle in 2 or 3 at a time. Right now two kits are available.

One bad piece of news: the supplier I use for panel fasteners sent me a bunch that are out of tolerance. They're about 0.5mm too wide and won't go in the holes in the body work. Some of the fasteners I have on hand are good, some are not. If you ordered cargo or tailgate panels and the fasteners don't fit please PM me. I'm working on getting more and will send some to you ASAP.

All products battle tested in the wilds of Colorado:
7B1A7725-9F36-477A-92DA-D44A2BCD1D9E.jpeg

(@Fyffer @wester11 and I on our way to 12,300’ on Corkscrew Pass)

Last edited:
FYI, I am receiving some stock of the Koito headlight kits today. I am ONLY sending them out to folks who previously ordered them but were refunded due to the shortage. If you ordered those from me but got refunded, please check your email! You have until end of day tomorrow to confirm that you still want those, otherwise I have to keep going down the list.

Phew, guess it's time to update again already. Starting in mid June the frequency of orders increased quite a bit and has remained at an elevated level. That's in addition to a pretty steady growth starting late last summer, a steady line upwards on a graph - and now a big jump. As a reminder I have a full-time salaried job, two kids, daily drive a 60 (which requires regular maintenance), am an active member of my local TLCA chapter, have a project 79 Corona and a project 68 Honda CA110, and play guitar in three bands - in addition to running Cruiser Trash Parts. You could say I like to stay busy ... better than sitting on my a$$! Life's too short to waste more time than I already did when I was younger.

With that in mind I've adjusted the production on some things:
-I'm stocking more variations of the cargo panels and the tailgate panels for quicker shipping
-I now have a trusted friend doing PC board assembly for the HBIMs
-He will soon be taking over the LED flasher mods as well, and perhaps some of the Fusible Link Replacement Kit assembly
-I'm trying to convince my 15 year old son that shipping & receiving is a viable job that I would pay him for ... we'll see how that plays out
(This guy doing the HBIMs has a background in electronics manufacturing and has been a good friend for many years. I already had trust in his skills and I do my own QC on the parts when I receive them back from him. It's a good situation for both of us.)

Changes to shipping:
-Instead of shipping every day, I will be going down to 2-3 days per week as my schedule allows. If you need something more quickly (overnighted, etc) please contact me directly here, through the website, or on IG with enough lead time for me to meet your needs. Don't call me at 4PM and ask for something overnighted. Best bet is early in the morning - 5-6AM MST. I have to start using my time more efficiently and going to the post office every day is not it.

This is all working towards a couple goals:
-More time to work on R&D and getting projects production ready: 40/55/62/LS swap Fusible Link Replacement Kits, 55 & 62 cargo panels, some other rubber products, etc.
-Better stock levels for faster shipping, despite not shipping every day
-More time with the kids & more time camping/wheeling/being involved in the local TLCA club
-Growing the reach of Cruiser Trash Parts - the folks on Mud and IG have some familiarity with what I do, but how do I reach other Land Cruiser owners not on Mud or IG? How do I reach more shops that work on 60s who might be interested in buying my products to drop into all their work?
-If the growth comes it would lead to further streamlining and perhaps an "employee" beyond the piece work I'm handing off to my buddy. For example somebody who can help out 10 hours a week just shipping stuff, or somebody who can just do input parts ordering once per week.

I don't have any illusion this will become my full time job (though I wouldn't complain if it did). Overall I just want to make more stuff and support my own Cruiser habit (which may include getting a 40 for my partner at some point soon-ish). I have a lot more ideas and not enough time to even make a back-of-the-napkin sketch. I need to download this stuff from my brain into a format that I can get made into prototypes. Anyway, thanks for everyone's support and for buying my trash and putting it in your treasured trucks.

Jim

I need to post pics, but the cargo panels and tailgate panel from Jim are great. He even took extra time to double check some dimensions that were unique to my NZ truck. Great stuff Jim. I'll try and post pics soon. Just wanted to give a shoutout.

I need to post pics, but the cargo panels and tailgate panel from Jim are great. He even took extra time to double check some dimensions that were unique to my NZ truck. Great stuff Jim. I'll try and post pics soon. Just wanted to give a shoutout.
I was wondering what happened to the custom NZ HJ panels I shipped out! Thanks for jumping in here. I'd love some photos to see how the final fit turned out if you get some free time and want to do that. I did have another set like yours cut just to keep on hand so if there's another New Zealand HJ out there in need of panels, I got 'em.

I was wondering what happened to the custom NZ HJ panels I shipped out! Thanks for jumping in here. I'd love some photos to see how the final fit turned out if you get some free time and want to do that. I did have another set like yours cut just to keep on hand so if there's another New Zealand HJ out there in need of panels, I got 'em.
I'll try and get some pics this weekend. They really clean up the cargo area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom