Cost to weld frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grinding the bead off removes almost all the strength.
He ran solid wire mig down hill on the inside....leading one to assume he did the same thing on the exterior...then ground it.
Down hill doesnt yield the same quality weld of as any other position.
The squared off ends of the cut frame and repair pcs is not ideal either.
Just because a guy is good hand, doesn't automatically mean everything he does is quality work....part of that goes on the acceptance criteria that is given/ expected from the job.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat a vertical seam like that. I would sweat not having any plating on the inside.

Here is an example of the start of grafting two FJ55 frames together:
View attachment 2190074
I don't have the rest of the work handy. But he plug welded a scab plate inside of that on the outer frame rail. I have NO concerns over the strength of the resulting longer frame.

OTOH, the welds are beyond clean.

I your case the vertical seams is a non issue as the seams were staggered.
The fish plate is only icing on the cake.

My work is performed in accordance with the most current edition of the NBIC...I and my guys are qualified to section IX of the ASME BPVC standards.

Xray quality field welds are normal fair.

Last edited:
For future newbies like me, please post any pictures you have of what it should look like when repaired correctly so people can see.

I'm not an expert, but I've seen much worse. My only concern is long term strength of the vertical weld in an area that is supporting the rear of the tub, rear bumper and anything you attach or hang from it. If it were mine, I would put a fish plate on each side.

I think you overpaid for the work that was done.

I think if he could pay for an artist like FC, he would have. You are blessed to not only have FC welding your stuff, but be able to pay for it.

I would love to let Don loose on my junk 😄

Looks like I’m going fishing then.

You are in good shape but that is not a finished job in my opinion. I am NOT a professional welder but I would apply a gusset to that part of the frame.
Don't get too down. It is repairable. I would 100% recommend scab plating at least the inside to ensure the strength of that area.

As noted here:

Don't forget that the rear shackle hanger is there also. I wouldn't worry to much about the rear tub support part of it. If anything, the rear mount of the tub 'integrates' it further forward. I would venture there is 'minimal' amount of tub weight on the frame.

Paying for it is less of an issue as getting time for it :( FC is packed due to his quality and attention to detail. Never mind the fact that he is an artist as you note... he can come up with some crazy solutions.

My axle guy is a certified pipe-fitter and does fab work on the side. His welds are maybe two steps down from FC in terms of beauty. But to paraphrase FC, that sucker knows how to weld.

FC, the artist, came up with this non-4wd mailbox for me:
View attachment 2190158
View attachment 2190159
I think it would be best to apply a fishplate to the exterior of the frame and a smaller gusset to the interior after grinding down the welds in there.

Also, that mailbox is superb. The baseball bats will shatter on that thing.

No offense meant but this is why you don't go with the cheapest quote for critical stuff like this. Quality work takes time and money. At a minimum he should of fitted a scab plate to the inner and outer portion of the weld.

No offense meant but this is why you don't go with the cheapest quote for critical stuff like this. Quality work takes time and money. At a minimum he should of fitted a scab plate to the inner and outer portion of the weld.
I maybe wrong and cheap... :) but this amount of work should coast a few hundreds with excellent quality.

I maybe wrong and cheap... :) but this amount of work should coast a few hundreds with excellent quality.

Not necessarily. All shops are not known for good work, some are. The ones that are get more business and can increase their rates to tailor to the customers that wants the work done right and have the funds to pay for it. Other shops will quote you a "go away" elevated price as they are so busy they don't need the work so if they do the work it needs to be very profitable.

Upon further research, looks like this is something that should have been the solution. I Googled fishplate and found this picture. Looks similar to my project needs.

8A368081-B961-49EA-9071-5A02404D6D0A.jpeg

Upon further research, looks like this is something that should have been the solution. I Googled fishplate and found this picture. Looks similar to my project needs.

View attachment 2190276
yah ...unfortunately now you need another quote for this

Not necessarily. All shops are not known for good work, some are. The ones that are get more business and can increase their rates to tailor to the customers that wants the work done right and have the funds to pay for it. Other shops will quote you a "go away" elevated price as they are so busy they don't need the work so if they do the work it needs to be very profitable.
I guess we'll have to accept other reality.. I probably spent too much of my life in the world,.. where is good idea cost more money than labor..:)

Sadly most people think welding is simply learned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom