Compiling/comparing lift and caster data (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Delta VS

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
deltavs.com
The question has been raised over and over again:

How do I fix my caster after installing "x" springs and having "y" lift?

Well, how much lift do you actually have? How much weight do you carry around? What is the distance from center of wheel to fender? These are all questions that get asked over and over again.
This forum is a wealth of knowledge, but sometimes it takes a while to sift through and sometimes some of it gets missed/overlooked.

We would like to do our part in helping make some of that info easier to access, and are going to try this out. Made a google form to make collecting the data easy, and making the data easily accessible to the Mud community.

FULL DISCLOSURE: this info will be used to help us improve our products. We will be using the data as is and will not be altering the data in any way. The same info will be available to you and our competitors, for as long as google keeps their "forms" and "sheets" programs alive. Meaning we won't remove the info. We will download (and you can too) the data on occasion and save it away for posterity sake so that if it does get shut down for some reason, it can be uploaded elsewhere and continued to be used.

The only non-required bit of info requested is your Mud username. There is no other identifying info or anything like that being collected (tinfoil hat removed).

The tabulated results can be viewed here: DeltaVS 91-97 Toyota Land Cruiser Lift height/caster data (going to be working on the formatting in an attempt to make everybody's eyes not bleed while looking at it, any help from google sheets experts would be welcomed)

The form can be accessed here: DeltaVS 91-97 Toyota Land Cruiser Lift height/caster data

We would like to offer our preferred method for measuring actual lift (and these numbers are requested in the form):

IMG_1636 2.jpg

Measuring from a smooth, FLAT surface up to the bolts on each end of the front and rear panhards (yellow lines), then finding the difference (red arrow) between the two measurements. This gives what we feel to be the most consistent, concrete, vehicle to vehicle, comparison. Ideally, you would have measured that difference when you took delivery of your 80 Series from the factory as a baseline number. Considering most reading this probably didn't do this, we need to make due. So if you have an unlifted rig (stock springs), it's even more important that you share your data.

It would also be super awesome if you could take your rig to an alignment shop to get actual caster numbers. @Beej volunteered to reimburse ANYBODY for the cost of getting that done as long as the data is shared...
:worms:
while that's pretty awesome of him, probably a good idea to go easy on him.

Last edited:
Brilliant idea! Crowd sourced data like this can be insanely valuable. I would be happy to share caster numbers if I am able to find the time to get to an alignment shop...frankly, I'm curious anyway. Very nice offer from @Beej but I have to say, I hope no one is actually cheap enough to take him up on it...then again...it is mud...:rofl:

I did say that and Ill own it. :doh: Its for guys that can get that stock springs info though. Its only fair since its an unneeded trip for them. PM if you got the goods.

Big thanks to @Delta VS for taking steps to put together a resource like this :beer:

Last edited:
So if you have an unlifted rig (stock springs), it's even more important that you share your data.

Almost forgot, once your stock rig is measured up, it will be expected/required to put a lift on and have it remeasured. For science.

At least that'll be a perfectly good way to rationalize it.

Do you still want this info even if I have swapped axles?

Are you just going to hold a panhard up next to it and get a measurement for fun? Don't you have double triangulation or something?

In all seriousness, most data is good data, so just put notes in the notes section for anything out of the ordinary.

Are you just going to hold a panhard up next to it and get a measurement for fun? Don't you have double triangulation or something?

In all seriousness, most data is good data, so just put notes in the notes section for anything out of the ordinary.
The front is a 3 link, not full hydro

Didn’t Slee do some diagram of what happens to the caster as you lift the truck more and more?

Didn’t Slee do some diagram of what happens to the caster as you lift the truck more and more?

Like this?

80A04D36-6142-4D56-B6FB-F7DC922B7FBB.jpeg

Theoretical geometry is the easy part. How that geometry interacts with all of our rigs is a different story.

I did say that and Ill own it. :doh: Its for guys that can get that stock springs info though. Its only fair since its an unneeded trip for them. PM if you got the goods.

Big thanks to @Delta VS for taking steps to put together a resource like this :beer:

I think you could have trouble finding a benchmark for stock height.

I have a 93 with original springs. I'd take a bet for pennys on the dollar its not still at stock height.

I'll try and get some measurements for you.
But you guys might have to send me a full lift kit so I can re-measure, you know, for science :hmm::idea:

Relying on measuring a new, "stock height" suspension to find a stock height is likely dependant on how closely an aftermarket product replicates the original.

I think I've seen stock height published somewhere.

I think you could have trouble finding a benchmark for stock height.

I have a 93 with original springs. I'd take a bet for pennys on the dollar its not still at stock height.

I'll try and get some measurements for you.
But you guys might have to send me a full lift kit so I can re-measure, you know, for science :hmm::idea:

Relying on measuring a new, "stock height" suspension to find a stock height is likely dependant on how closely an aftermarket product replicates the original.

I think I've seen stock height published somewhere.
It only has to be stock springs. The key here is the matching caster measurement. One you have both you can take say 3* as your target and do the maths to raise or lower the reported height to get a measurement at 3* caster (or whatever * you choose).

Remember that the factory castor setting of +3 deg only applies for 8/92 up 80's. For earlier ones it's something like +1.97. That's why to get the +4.5 deg castor my 80 has now with 3" springs I had to use 4" lift compensated radius arms.

In an earlier config, I had 4" HD springs (which gave what I felt was close to 5") and without knowing much about caster correction I had none for a time and caster measured (once I decided to resolve very constnat head-shake) about 0. I was getting head shake at 60 kph and 80 kph and it was scary. I fitted caster plates which were great but I had too many problems with stock radius arms hitting the rear steering rod.

Which is how I ended up with the Superflex arms I'm running now.

I havent got an alignment! I showed up at Firestone 3 times and hour before they closed and they couldnt do it. Thats just for a baseline though.

I have an old one to put in though. I should do that.

Ive been driving around all over the place with this new lift but the truck is completely unloaded and rides like death. I also swapped steering boxes and am going to swap back (since I rebuilt my old one.) Alignment must happen before I leave for a cross country trip (FL>AZ) through the Ozarks in 5 weeks! Yall know the drill; it ALL has to get done lol!

I cant believe no one has hit me up for a freebie.

I assumed this project would have more responses by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom